Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1171

View PostJames, on 21 March 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

It's incredibly obvious when a pigcop takes 4 shots instead of 2 from a shotgun.

No it is not. If it was obvious it wouldn't be wrong about it. It takes only 3 shots with the Shotgun to kill a Pig Cop with twice the hit points.

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

0

User is offline   Jblade 

#1172

View PostFox, on 21 March 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

No it is not. If it was obvious it wouldn't be wrong about it. It takes only 3 shots with the Shotgun to kill a Pig Cop with twice the hit points.

come on man, semantics :angry: How many more ultimately doesn't matter. Let's just drop this discussion since neither of us are going to budge on our viewpoints, before it gets ugly or drags out.
0

User is online   Danukem 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#1173

View PostFox, on 20 March 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I don't agree with that decision.


referring to the decision to double hit points on paletted enemies

View PostJames, on 21 March 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

the number of atomic maps outnumber 1.3D maps so it would be best to remove the feature if a toggle isn't added.


So everyone (myself included) who has offered an opinion agrees that it would be best to remove the feature. Then you guys got confused about each other's positions and thought you were having an argument o_O
0

User is offline   Jblade 

#1174

well I was arguing that it shouldn't be seen as a bug even if it was due to the fact it essentially gave map authors a slightly beefed up pigcop to use in levels, but like I said atomic edition is considered the defacto version and more maps are for that so it's best to maintain compatability with that than the old version. Bear in mind of course that v1.3D was the first version I ever played so to me having them double strength feels more 'correct' whereas I'm sure you guys played atomic first so you'd differ on that :angry:
0

User is offline   Diaz 

#1175

Grrrr. Turns out at some point (and I don't remember when and why I did it) I replaced all of the PIGCOPSTAYPUT's by PIGCOP's with pal 10, then coded that pal to be a stayput actor :/

So yeah, the behavior in my mod is due to paletted pigcops. I just fixed it with a line of code....

This post has been edited by Diaz: 21 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#1176

As a mapper and non-coder, I think it would be useful to have the option to double enemy strength (just to clarify, is it every pal except pal 0 that does this?) although I more strongly believe that compatibility should be kept with the thousands of maps already out there and the feature should be removed. Although a toggle would be best. Maybe one day, features such as this could be set within map files...

View PostTrooper Mick, on 20 March 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Did you by any chance define your stay put enemies by having an alternate pal? Recently eduke32 was changed so that enemies with alternate pals have double strength (although I would hope this doesn't apply to mods).



View PostDiaz, on 21 March 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Grrrr. Turns out at some point (and I don't remember when and why I did it) I replaced all of the PIGCOPSTAYPUT's by PIGCOP's with pal 10, then coded that pal to be a stayput actor :/

So yeah, the behavior in my mod is due to paletted pigcops. I just fixed it with a line of code....


Called it Posted Image
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1177

View PostTrooper Mick, on 21 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

just to clarify, is it every pal except pal 0 that does this?

Yes.
0

User is offline   sedition 

#1178

Is it possible that every map in an episode has a different loading screen?
I know how to change the loading screen in general with

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
 setvar RETURN 3281
endevent


but I want to have a specific one for every map within an episode like
E1l1 --> image1.jpg (or tileXX)
E1L2 --> image2.jpg (or tileYX)
... and so on.

Is there a chance to do this?
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1179

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
  ifvare VOLUME 0
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e1l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e1l2>
  }
  ifvare VOLUME 1
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e2l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e2l2>
  }
endevent

1

User is offline   sedition 

#1180

View PostFox, on 22 March 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
  ifvare VOLUME 0
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e1l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e1l2>
  }
  ifvare VOLUME 1
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e2l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e2l2>
  }
endevent



Thanks for your reply, Fox.

<e1l1>
are the tile numbers?

Sorry, but I have absolutely no knowledge of all the CON stuff and copied the code I posted from the wiki, IIRC.

This post has been edited by sedition: 22 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #1181

Yes.
1

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1182

Yeah, whatever is the tile you choose to replace it.

===//===//===

Is it possible to make the shoot command and EVENT_DOFIRE spawn a regular actor?

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

1

User is offline   sedition 

#1183

Thanks, Fox and Hendricks.

Another thing I forgot to ask for:
Is there a way to have another tile for the loading bar on that screen? After I replaced textures I have always a wall texture for the loading bar.
And can I turn of the xxx / xxx textures message on the screen?
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #1184

View Postsedition, on 23 March 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Is there a way to have another tile for the loading bar on that screen? After I replaced textures I have always a wall texture for the loading bar.
And can I turn of the xxx / xxx textures message on the screen?

Try "addvar RETURN 16384" to the bottom of your event. IIRC it should disable the "LOADING" text completely.

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
  ifvare VOLUME 0
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e1l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e1l2>
  }
  ifvare VOLUME 1
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e2l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e2l2>
  }

  addvar RETURN 16384
endevent


As for more complicated replacement of the loading screen, I have thought about using the variables LOTAG and HITAG to store the current and total textures values so modders could completely make their own screen using EVENT_GETLOADTILE or an EVENT_DISPLAYLOADING. edit: The variable TEXTURE might be acceptable to change the loading bar texture.

View PostFox, on 22 March 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Is it possible to make the shoot command and EVENT_DOFIRE spawn a regular actor?

Would "eshoot FOOBAR" followed by "changespritestat RETURN 1" work?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 25 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

1

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1185

Thanks, that worked. :angry:
0

User is offline   sedition 

#1186

View PostHendricks266, on 23 March 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Try "addvar RETURN 16384" to the bottom of your event. IIRC it should disable the "LOADING" text completely.

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
  ifvare VOLUME 0
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e1l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e1l2>
  }
  ifvare VOLUME 1
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN <e2l1>
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN <e2l2>
  }

  addvar RETURN 16384
endevent


As for more complicated replacement of the loading screen, I have thought about using the variables LOTAG and HITAG to store the current and total textures values so modders could completely make their own screen using EVENT_GETLOADTILE or an EVENT_DISPLAYLOADING. edit: The variable TEXTURE might be acceptable to change the loading bar texture.


Would "eshoot FOOBAR" followed by "changespritestat RETURN 1" work?



Thank zou Hendricks and Fox,
I tried this, but all I get is a black background. And the loading text is also there.
Did I do something wrong with it?

Here´s the con code:
//Thanks to Fox and Hendricks266

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
  ifvare VOLUME 1
  {
    ifvare LEVEL 0
      setvar RETURN 4030	// replace <xxxx> with the tile no. to display
    ifvare LEVEL 1
      setvar RETURN 4031
  }

  addvar RETURN 16384	// deletes the loading text
endevent

/* OLD ONE - NOT NECESSARY
// Background on Map´s load

onevent EVENT_GETLOADTILE
 setvar RETURN 3281
endevent
*/


And the lines in my textures.def:
dummytilerange 4030 4031 128 96
texture 4030 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/bf/bf4030.jpg" }
}
texture 4031 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/bf/bf4031.jpg" }
}


Maybe I did it wrong, but I can´t figure out what.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #1187

It looks like the "add 16384" functionality was removed. Since no one has noticed until now, it should stay removed. There is code to compensate if the tile number is over MAXTILES (which has since been increased to 30720) but nothing to disable the loading screen text. (For the feature to be safe we would need to expose the value MAXTILES to CON as is done in M32script but it would still be hackish.)

If anything it should be done with other variables like TEXTURE. If the idea is approved I will add a way to disable the parts.

Try removing the "addvar RETURN 16384" for now. At least your custom tile should be displayed correctly.

Another thing, to cover the whole screen your dummytilerange should use the values 320 200 instead of 128 96.
0

User is offline   Mblackwell 

  • Evil Overlord

#1188

View PostHendricks266, on 25 March 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

It looks like the "add 16384" functionality was removed. Since no one has noticed until now, it should stay removed. There is code to compensate if the tile number is over MAXTILES (which has since been increased to 30720) but nothing to disable the loading screen text. (For the feature to be safe we would need to expose the value MAXTILES to CON as is done in M32script but it would still be hackish.)

If anything it should be done with other variables like TEXTURE. If the idea is approved I will add a way to disable the parts.

Try removing the "addvar RETURN 16384" for now. At least your custom tile should be displayed correctly.

Another thing, to cover the whole screen your dummytilerange should use the values 320 200 instead of 128 96.


Actually I've noticed there seems to be an off-by-one error when using 320x200. You'll get a thin line on (I believe) the top and left of uncovered screen.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1189

I have a question about the precache command:

Quote

0 - Precaches <tile0>-<tile1> only if <tile0> is in the map
1 - Precaches <tile0>-<tile1> always


How can I make it so that tile 0020 is loaded if 0010 is in the map, but not include tiles 0011-0019?
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #1190

The precache command isn't set up for instructions of that complexity. Search for CON_PRECACHE in gamedef.c and tiledata_t (the type that g_tile[] is) in actors.h.

Is it really necessary? Either bite the bullet and load #20 always, or ignore it and let the game takes its chances with automatic loading (which ideally should make this a non-issue).
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1191

Is it necessary? Not really, I don't care much about precache. But since it's there, it wouldn't hurt to also add it.

To be more specific, this is the projectile of the Grenade Launcher from Duke Nukem 64 I am talking about. There is about 200 tiles beetween some frames of the projectile.

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #1192

It would hurt to add it, in the implementation details.

On the other hand, anything related to weapons the player uses should always be precached, so your use case is moot. In fact, the precache extension as you intend might not actually kick in because none of the projectiles might be in the map in the first place.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1193

But isn't that how the source code works? I looked at it and the projectiles frames are precached if they are spawned. It is odd for precache command to not work in the same way.

(And to think about it now, the source code includes the frames from the RPG angles, or FREEZEBLAST animation, etc. Shouldn't it automatically check for animations in the .art files (or using animtilerange), and for all frames of the <action> from actor or useractor commands?)

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #1194

View PostFox, on 27 March 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

Shouldn't it automatically check for animations in the .art files (or using animtilerange), and for all frames of the <action> from actor or useractor commands?

In fact it should, and I am adding this to my to-do list.

BTW, if you still want CON access to the four members of the picanm[] array we should have a conversation with Helix. Me adding tilesizx[] and y[] gave him extra trouble in Lua.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1195

View PostHendricks266, on 27 March 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

In fact it should, and I am adding this to my to-do list.

Being more careful, I would say to check the action of an actor during the first tic (event_spawn?) and return false if the cstat is not 32768.

View PostHendricks266, on 27 March 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

BTW, if you still want CON access to the four members of the picanm[] array we should have a conversation with Helix. Me adding tilesizx[] and y[] gave him extra trouble in Lua.

Yes, I totally want. The game uses the size and offset to check the enemy hitboxes and where the projectiles aim at.

Can you at least make a command like getsizx <tilenum> <gamevar>?

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

0

User is online   Danukem 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#1196

View PostFox, on 26 March 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Is it necessary? Not really, I don't care much about precache. But since it's there, it wouldn't hurt to also add it.

To be more specific, this is the projectile of the Grenade Launcher from Duke Nukem 64 I am talking about. There is about 200 tiles beetween some frames of the projectile.


If there are 200 tiles between frames, then the art isn't well organized. That's not something that the pre-caching code should have to worry about.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1197

It's not my fault. But it is also like that with some of the original sprites (i.e. the player swimming frames are in another art file).
0

User is offline   Jblade 

#1198

If I remember right, there's an odd quirk with htextra and ifhitweapon - I can't remember what it was, but htextra is always returning -1 for me even if I'm clearly hitting the actor and doing damage. Anybody know what's up with that? I can't see any info on the wiki.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#1199

I believe that you should get the htextra before ifhitweapon command is used.
0

User is offline   Jblade 

#1200

Alright, thanks - I should add something to the wiki about this at some point since after searching a few others had the same problems.
0

Share this topic:


  • 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options