Duke4.net Forums: Future Duke music. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future Duke music.  "What's your opinion?"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 August 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

The actual notes played aren't stock, but the samples are. All of those sounds are played from stock samples and not played by real instruments. Even the guitars. None of it is real. The main theme was recorded by an actual band (I can't remember who now but they're listed in the credits somewhere). Everything else is sampled and sequenced (notes inputted on a grid or piano roll. MAYBE performed on a keyboard but I seriously doubt it). It was composed, yes, but not performed. And, again if you like it more power to you, in my professional opinion the compositions are simplistic and devoid of soul. Literally just sounds slapped together. But I guess that's all they pictured the music for. I also dream of what Soule would have given us...

I'm not sure that's referring to the final track in the game. I think the one that was actually composed and performed by a band was the one that was closer to Megadeth that was ultimately cut/changed due to complaints.

The final version utilized in the game sounds like the same stock set of samples.

User is offline   Player Lin 

About the DNF music, for some reasons, the most one I love is the one or two of music in loading screens...I don't really know/can explains why but it's most one I always want to heard when playing DNF, maybe it plays too many times and just stuck in my brain... :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCommando Nukem, on 31 August 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

I'm not sure that's referring to the final track in the game. I think the one that was actually composed and performed by a band was the one that was closer to Megadeth that was ultimately cut/changed due to complaints.

The final version utilized in the game sounds like the same stock set of samples.

I'm talking about this one which is definitely not sample-based and is the best track in the whole game. It plays during the Duke Nukem 3D recap intro sequence. This is a real band.

I forgot all about that one you posted. That one did royally suck.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 August 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Personally, I think the original one is better. The final one doesn't really have a good feel to it... it's hard to explain, but it just doesn't strike me as an official cover. Whereas the other one does.

• The Sarien Encounter

The final version is not very full. It's basically guitar, lead guitar, bass, and drums. Needs synth. But at least the guy can play a mean lead. The scrapped version absolutely butchers the theme. Like the guy can't really play anything complicated. They overly simplified the riffs and lead. It's kind of embarrassing.

While I agree on DNF's generic soundtrack. I always liked this piece.

/\
Yes this track made me feel Duke's anger. It's great to just walk up to the weights before the Hive boss and start lifting real slow, like Duke is imagining the violent things he's about to do with these aliens.

• The Sarien Encounter

Still a tiny bit generic, but it's definitely got way more atmosphere than the rest of the guitar work. It's a shame that section of the game got so much criticism actually. Everyone was freaking out about "misogyny" when the whole point was that it was supposed to make Duke (you) even angrier at the aliens. This was all in Duke3D and nobody freaked out then. I suppose that "Looks like you're.....f*****." line didn't help at all to dissuade that. Even though Duke became angry immediately after that.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 August 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Still a tiny bit generic, but it's definitely got way more atmosphere than the rest of the guitar work. It's a shame that section of the game got so much criticism actually. Everyone was freaking out about "misogyny" when the whole point was that it was supposed to make Duke (you) even angrier at the aliens. This was all in Duke3D and nobody freaked out then. I suppose that "Looks like you're.....f*****." line didn't help at all to dissuade that. Even though Duke became angry immediately after that.

While I agree, I think it was because the tone of the game was so all over the place. In a very short time span things went from (very) silly to dark without people expecting it. I always thought it was one of the parts that felt the most like D3D.
Also, I never read the "You're fucked!" line like Duke was cracking a joke - it just dawned on him that there was nothing he could do. It was a - dark - joke to the audience, but I think Duke isn't meant to be aware of the double meaning then.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 August 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

I'm talking about this one which is definitely not sample-based and is the best track in the whole game. It plays during the Duke Nukem 3D recap intro sequence. This is a real band.

I hate this song and version of grabbag, to me it sounds just so generic pop/soft rock and I just can't get behind it. It doesn't work, it's tone is way too bright and sunny for a Duke game. My 2cents..

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I still say this is a song from Duke Nukem Forever that we didn't get to hear in the final game... if anyone remembers this. This got uploaded before the 2007 teaser trailer released, hinting that something might come around Christmas. You can hear Grabbag in it if you listen carefully from 0:44 to 0:55, so I'm convinced.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 01 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

User is offline   Mark 

My dislike for all of the proposed music tracks is that they are too dynamic. Too much tonal range. Too loud and in your face. As someone mentioned before, they might make good title music but they grab too much attention to be used as backround for a map. I don't want to hear a loudly thumping bass drum or buzzsaw guitars while playing. ( Wow, being a heavy metal guy since 1970 I can't believe I just said that. )

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postspessu_sb, on 01 September 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

I hate this song and version of grabbag, to me it sounds just so generic pop/soft rock and I just can't get behind it. It doesn't work, it's tone is way too bright and sunny for a Duke game. My 2cents..

I loved it. Mostly because it was such a step up from the scrapped Megadeth variation in terms of actual musicianship. It's almost like they hoped they could get away with a cheap cover with an atrocious guitar player but then realized when the fans hated it that they had to get a real group to do it. I like the rock approach more than metal honestly. That's how I've always felt about Duke. Great track, just needs to be filled in with some decent keys/synth.

But however you feel about it, it's still pretty much the most well-done track in the game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 01 September 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

I still say this is a song from Duke Nukem Forever that we didn't get to hear in the final game... if anyone remembers this. This got uploaded before the 2007 teaser trailer released, hinting that something might come around Christmas. You can hear Grabbag in it if you listen carefully from 0:44 to 0:55, so I'm convinced.

I've never seen that before... ten years, never... It sounds like something along the lines of the music we heard in the '01 and '07 trailers... much better than what we got, sadly.

User is offline   axl 

View Postspessu_sb, on 01 September 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

I disagree here. I love this tune. Along with the duke nukem forever intro movie, I think this is a great beginning of the game.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I really liked this one from E3.

User is offline   Loke 

Vertexguy's (Chris Kline) version of the Grabbag theme is still the best.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 August 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Rock is overdone. Honestly it was lucky enough that guitars even made it into Doom 2016. There's a reason they didn't want it in, as Mick explained in that GDC video and it's perfectly valid. I'd rather see something more interesting. And not just orchestral either. That's been done to death too.

+1 and you know what's weird? That a lot of people these days say "Doom / Duke should be pure metal" even though the original soundtracks feel to be a lot closer to electronic music. When it comes to creating an atmosphere metal just doesn't work without context most of the time. Also: Doom 2016's soundtrack is a freakin' masterpiece exactly because Mick Gordon had to come up with a creative way to avoid the use of guitars. The result is one of the most aggressive soundtracks in recent memory even though actual metal in there is minimal. It was a shocking experience to find such and inspiring, experimental piece of art in an AAA video game and I just find the idea of sound representing Argent Energy fascinating (it reminds me of how David Lynch treats electricity in Twin Peaks and that's really high praise from me because TP is a religion to me :)).

And yes, DNF's music was just bad. It was quite shocking to hear the zero effort that went into it after Duke 3D iconic tracks and I don't mean shocking in a positive way in this sentence. :)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 11 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

I have the perfect, in my opinion, idea of who should do the music for the Duke Nukem movie. Get John Carpenter and Lee Jackson to do it. Combine those two amazing artists and it would be a Godsend! :rolleyes:

User is offline   Hank 

^ long shot
How about the power of Zimmer with our hero Lee Jackson?

here is Zimmmer

we know Lee, or just in case, my very fav of him

View PostHank, on 05 October 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

^ long shot
How about the power of Zimmer with our hero Lee Jackson?

here is Zimmmer

we know Lee, or just in case, my very fav of him

I love Hans Zimmer! He'd probably do good, I'd use Crimson Tide or The Rock as examples for what to do with Duke, but your point still stands. Zimmer and Jackson would be a pretty good combo.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I think Duke3D space levels when I listen to this.

I know it's been a while, but what about Henry Jackson?

I think this he could do a pretty good combo of Rock, Patriotic, and slight Techno that could make a Duke Nukem movie sound pretty good.

This post has been edited by Never Forgotten: 17 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options