Duke4.net Forums: Awesome Duke 3D Snes Remixes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Awesome Duke 3D Snes Remixes

User is offline   Steve 64 

I was looking on the Megaton Edition Forums and I ran into awesome Duke 3D Snes Music
here a link to one of the songs

https://youtu.be/7qs...ZjCPnyl9fLHsZlz
please comment and rate his awesome music

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 21 August 2017 - 02:25 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Would have been tough to make Duke 3D on SNES, DOOM was already a big failure due to the 16 bits restrictions and the 2 SuperFX chips included in the cartridge didn't manage to give a good action rendering...

User is offline   Phredreeke 

DOOM didn't use 2 SuperFX chips, it used a SuperFX2 chip (the difference being how much ROM the cartridge can have, the first SuperFX chips was limited to 2MB IIRC)

You're right though that even DOOM was pushing it for the system (although it did manage Wolfenstein 3D with no additional co-processor) Would probably ended up very watered down akin to the Brazilian Megadrive port.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This is freaking cool.

Good stuff! Been listening to some NES classics like Mega Man lately, dig these fine worlds colliding. (Storm Eagle theme from Mega Man X on SNES is quite cool by the way, also the metal band Powerglove's covers)

I am a sucker for chiptune and these are a real treat. Just awesome.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

See, if it had been up to me back in the day, Doom would have been done differently for SNES. Instead of trying to replicate the PC version of Doom, I would have built everything from the ground up to best take advantage of the hardware available.

From that direction I think Duke Nukem 3D could work just fine on SNES. All new levels built to the hardware limitations, graphics either redone from scratch or properly rerezzed to not choke up the system.

• The Sarien Encounter

Would have liked to have heard the soundtrack for a hypothetical SNES version of Duke Nukem II.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCommando Nukem, on 23 August 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

From that direction I think Duke Nukem 3D could work just fine on SNES. All new levels built to the hardware limitations, graphics either redone from scratch or properly rerezzed to not choke up the system.

You've played the Mega Drive version, right? It's actually a technical masterpiece. I would be surprised to see the SNES do any better, though the SuperFX chip changes things. The 32X might still win, hypothetically.

It would have worked far better on SNES if the Sattela-View expansion had become popular and DOOM ported on it !

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I don't see how the Satellaview is relevant to a first-person shooter.

The Sattelaview increased the power and the memory of the console, Secret of Mana was first meant to be made on it but finally didn't and the quality and quantity of content have been strongly affected

I agree making a very different Duke game for SNES to make it work on that console would be fun. But my idea to make it work with the limitations wouldn't even be trying to replicate a first person shooter engine. It'd be something like this first person Neo-Geo game Superspy:

Faking it essentially, just make a bunch of fun situations and cinematic/atmospheric touches in first person 2D, and at times you could also aim a gun reticle like in Wild Guns maybe, would be cool.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 August 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Would have liked to have heard the soundtrack for a hypothetical SNES version of Duke Nukem II.

You're much better off listening to a MD remix due to a nice FM chip on it :)
Issue with SNES often is the compression used for samples, which results in a very muddy result.
I personally dislike a lot of the "SNES sound" for many games due to the use of stock low quality SDK samples and that awful reverb, although I have to compliment the author of these mixes that he sure did get it sounding like what I imagined them to be :)

Satellaview didn't really enhance the system other than adding a "flashable cartridge" that allowed streaming stuff to it. Extra sound was streamed over the air and mainly mixed with the rest of the audio with no local control / interaction.

A super FX 2 wouldn't be enough for duke as it's simply a RISC-like CPU that practically uses the sytem for audio/video output at that point, maybe use the PPU for overlays like HUD.
You'd also run out of RAM very quickly.

SNES is simply not that powerful of a system and most of it's "power" came from few neat party tricks that It's PPU could pull off compared to a megadrive.
Although, once you go the expansion chip route, you might just as well add an intel atom on a cartridge and render everything on it, output it to the screen. Not much different from SFX2 at that point really.

User is offline   Steve 64 

OH MY FAVORITE THEME

• The Sarien Encounter

Those drums SUCK.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options