Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 in stereoscopy: a guide - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 in stereoscopy: a guide

You may know I'm a great fan of playing games in stereoscopic 3D, and in the past years I lamented several times about the lack of a stereoscopic mode in EDuke32. Recently, I found a guide explaining how to run EDuke32 in stereoscopy thanks to a program called ReShade, so I'll mirror it here.

Prerequisites: Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition or Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour.

A. Needed folders: either one or the other. Not both.
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Duke Nukem 3D Twentieth Anniversary World Tour

B. You would also need eduke32 The latest release. http://www.eduke32.com
  • Windows Download
  • eduke32_latest.7z
  • Extract, "B 2."

C. Place the contents of eduke32_latest into "A 1" or "A 2."

D. As for the High Resolution Pack and related files, get them here: http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php
  • Duke3D HRP v5.4 FULL SFX (986 MB) - Self-extracting archive with everything needed to play
  • Duke3D PSX Highres Sounds v1.11 (7.3 MB)
  • XXX Pack v1.33 (why not?)

E. Extract the ZIP files you need from the packs on top. The files you need should be:
  • duke3d_hrp.zip
  • duke3d_music-sc55.zip
  • duke3d_psx.zip
  • duke3d_xxx.zip

F. Place "E 1 - 4" into a folder called autoload.

G. Place the autoload folder into "A 1" or "A 2."

• Now, go to the autoload folder and extract duke3d_hrp.zip
  • Open the file duke3d_hrp\highres\sprites.def
  • Now with a basic text editor edit line 5.
  • Line 5 should look like this. //include highres/sprites/firstperson.def
  • Save.

Posted Image

H. Now go back and delete "E 1", aka duke3d_hrp.zip

I. Repack the duke3d_hrp folder using 7-Zip. Once you have a new duke3d_hrp.zip file you can delete the folder.

J. Install Reshade 3.0.4 This is needed to use some lighting & shadows. But, if you don't care for lighting use the newest one.

K. Start eduke32.exe in the folder, "A 1" or "A 2". Aka Duke Nukem 3D or Duke Nukem 3D Twentieth Anniversary World Tour
  • Check Polymer, Enable "autoload" folder, and fullscreen if you like.
  • Set Video mode and Input devices
  • Click Start

L. Once in game press ` and open console.
  • Use Console Command r_pr_maxlightpasses "1"

M. Now play the game.

Things to note.
The World Tour version will have problems.https://forums.duke4...bility-stopgap/
The reason we have to disable the polymer weapon hands. Is that when it's on the screen it removes the rest of the z-Buffer.
The reason we have to use r_pr_maxlightpasses "1" is to correct a problem with the depth buffer when it set to high.
Using r_pr_maxlightpasses "1" will make the game darker. But, it's ok.
Mirrors in the game have problems avoid them.

ADDENDUM: the original author of the guide had found problems with the depth buffer if more than one light was allowed to interact with any surface, but I haven't. As a test, I even tried r_pr_maxlightpasses "10", and the depth was still correct. Equally, there are no showstopping bugs with mirrors, the only weird thing that happens is that the tip of the reflected shotgun sticks out of the mirror surface if you walk as close to it as you can.

If your PC is powerful enough to run EDuke32 at maximum detail, playing it in stereoscopy with an HMD is absolutely EPIC! It even made me want to do a full playthrough of Duke Nukem 3D, something I had not done in over a decade!

ADDENDUM #2: if you install from scratch, make sure there is no DUKE3D.GRP from the shareware version inside the Autoload folder, because it would turn episodes 2, 3 and 4 into a glitchy mess. If you find it there, delete it.

Question for Plagman: would it be possible to add a feature to EDuke32 where the parallax maps, besides distorting a texture to simulate bumps and pits, actually alter the depth buffer values, so that the simulated corrugation acquires actual depth when seen in stereoscopy?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 15 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostAltered Reality, on 15 August 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Question for Plagman:

Plagman has retired from the project.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 August 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Plagman has retired from the project.

Oh, I didn't know that. Who is the right person to ask?

P. S. The EDuke32 home page still lists Plagman as one of the programmers.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Where's the guide for plain 8bit?

Guide to play Duke Nukem 3D with 8 bit color depth:

1) Download, install and configure DosBox. http://www.dosbox.co...load.php?main=1
2) Dig out your Duke Nukem 3D CD, or if you don't have it, download the shareware episode ftp://ftp.3drealms.c...re/3dduke13.zip
3) Launch DosBox
4) Install the game from within DosBox
5) Play the game

Yeah, you don't need EDuke32 for that.

User is offline   Mark 

If this is the shader for use with VR head units you should specify. I thought this might be for use with Nvidia LCD glasses. But looking at some text on the shader page you linked to to mentions side by side rendering. So thats why I'm guessing its not for my 3D glasses setup. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

View PostMark., on 16 August 2017 - 03:22 AM, said:

If this is the shader for use with VR head units you should specify. I thought this might be for use with Nvidia LCD glasses. But looking at some text on the shader page you linked to to mentions side by side rendering. So thats why I'm guessing its not for my 3D glasses setup. :thumbsup:

This shader supports the following 3D modes:
- side by side (this is what I use with my HMD)
- top and bottom (this is useful for games that only support a 4:3 aspect ratio, if played on a 16:9 display)
- line interlaced
- checkerboard 3D
- anaglyph

I am not familiar with the nVidia 3D Vision setup. Which modes does it support?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 16 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   Mark 

None of the above. :thumbsup:

User is offline   Mark 

If you are getting 3D in the VR headsets I would hope that means that Eduke32 probably has the basic framework that an engine needs for supporting Nvidia 3D glasses. Its just waiting for someone to code the wrapper.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options