Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Movie - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Movie  "construction NOT destruction"

User is offline   SOAR 

  • -19

#1

I would like to start this topic off FRESH and take it away from negative minds on the other page who don't support a Duke Nukem movie. NJow doesn't the topic heading look much better without a question mark at the end of it?


This post has been edited by the Machine: 08 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

0

User is offline   Adekis 

  • 9

#2

I mean I guess it could be good. Super-heroes are huge and I've said before that Duke's more of a super-hero than he is anything else.

I'd hope for an animated movie over a live action one, I think. Allows it to be more ridiculous and fun!
0

User is offline   Major Tom 

  • 65

#3

After watching "The biggest problems with action movies", I think I've come up with a good list of ways to make the Duke Nukem movie not suck.

1. The Story = We need to be invested in the story of a Duke Nukem movie, without going through the cliché list that Duke has already parodied. Duke and the plot need to be in constant motion---no hackneyed romantic subplot bullshit, no bureaucratic EDF snoozefests, and NO RECYLED PLOTS from anything else! Make damn sure the plot keeps the crowd on the edge of its seat and keeps Duke moving without dragging down the momentum and allows for plenty of fast-paced film-making. And related to Points 2 and 6: if there has to be a “I couldn't save her” moment where Duke isn't able to rescue a babe, let that be the driving force for why he goes out of his way to rescue the rest of them.

2. The Hero = Duke Nukem can't be the asshole who just LETS the chicks die because "it's better that way". Look at John McClane in Die Hard, then look at him in A Good Day To Die Hard. The difference is staggering. If Duke is going to be the hero, he needs to ACT like it---and that means more than just shooting aliens in the face and punching out Christian Bale stand-ins. For all his ego, Duke Nukem is a human being---let him be the lovable asshole, a la John McClane from the first four Die Hard movies. And for crap's sake, let Duke Nukem save the babes! DO NOT have him crack wise over a trapped chick just before something unholy bursts out of her chest. This is our protagonist, after all....we're supposed to be on his side, and he's supposed to be on our side. He's Duke Nukem, not Nameless Drab Military Shooter Protagonist Number 2145.

3. The Villain = The story is only as good as the villain. If we're going to have Duke fight the Cycloids again, let them have a “champion” who shows up repeatedly to stand up to Duke and be his antithesis. If it's Dr. Proton, dust off NegaDuke or have Proton take the fight to Duke on his own---let him be the Joker to Duke's Batman and crush him psychologically, rather than kicking his ass in an actual fight. Give “those alien bastards” a reason for kidnapping the chicks, or give Proton a better reason than “a radiation leak” for wanting to unleash his Tekbots on the world. Whoever the villain is, let them be Duke's polar opposite, but with a single link that connects them to Duke (and related to the story: don't let their fight be over a woman).

4. The Stunts = Whoever plays Duke should be willing to do their own stunts. Keep the CG minimal and keep the pyro turned up to 11. AT LEAST five first-person sequences---have one start with Duke getting his shades knocked off, have the camera zoom in on the downed shades and zoom in on one lens....then slowly pan up, revealing that Duke is raising the glasses to his face, then show his reflection sneering back at us as he loads his gun, thus starting the first-person sequence. Also, anyone trying to use the Max Payne movie as a reference should be fired. And just like the 2001 Duke Nukem Forever trailer: Vehicles. Lots and lots of vehicles. Jet skis, motorcycles, fighter jets....oh, and guns. Lots of guns.

5. The Camerawork = NO. SHAKY. CAMERA. I can't stress this enough. No shakycam. Unless it's in a first-person sequence and Duke jumps down from a height or gets knocked on his ass, so the “camera” would naturally shake from him landing....if it's a close-quarters fight between Duke and an alien, don't freaking cut away every five seconds and change the damn angle. Also, don't over-choreograph the gun-play. Go for vivid lighting, wide shots that give the viewers a chance to bask in the glorious carnage, and just enough first-person view to remind everyone that it's a Duke Nukem movie. And make sure to avoid the problems that the DooM movie had---if an alien decides to leer in Duke's face, don't just cut away at random. Have Duke grab the little prick by the throat and punch its teeth out!

6. The Vulnerability of Duke Nukem = Yes, he's a badass, babe-magnet and multi-time savior of the world and a parody of other action heroes....but Duke Nukem needs to be relatable. There was that one .MP3 file released before Duke Nukem Forever came out: “Not my babes...NOT IN MY TOWN! You alien motherfuckers are gonna pay for this!”---it sent chills down my spine. It was the angriest I'd ever heard Duke sound, and it was glorious. This was Duke at his most pissed-off---and that is the kind of vulnerability he needs in the movie. Even better, this ties in with the whole “let Duke save the babes this time” thing---hedonist though he is, he respects women (and humanity) enough to want to rescue them, instead of just leaving them to their fates or “putting them out of their misery”. If he takes a bullet, make the audience feel that shot. If he gets kicked in the face, have him grit his teeth and spit out a tooth if he has to before charging back into the fray. If we have to see him bleed, so be it. And give Duke a breaking point moment---just like in Duke Nukem 3D. You know the kind---you're at 10 health, there's an Enforcer around the corner and a Pig Cop on the other side of the door you just closed, you've only got 20 pistol shots and two Pipe Bombs, and you haven't saved since the start of the level. Put Duke at his lowest, and have him fight his way back in the span of three to five minutes.

7. The Rating = Hard R all the way. Deadpool proved that a property based on a comic book can be a Hard R action flick and not completely suck. There's a reason Duke Nukem 3D was rated M for Mature, and every game since then (except Time To Kill, the Game Boy Color game and Duke Nukem Advance) have followed suit. Don't sanitize the language, don't cover the bare boobs on the babes, and DON'T bother saying “oh, you can bring your kids to it”---this is Duke Nukem, not Commander Keen. PG-13 may mean “maximum audience appeal”, but it waters down everything Duke stands for, and a watered-down Duke Nukem movie is a shitty Duke Nukem movie.

8. The Music = This may sound weird, for a discussion about a movie, but think about the soundtracks to stuff like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Predator and even the first Matrix movie. A good soundtrack enhances and enriches the entire experience. A bad soundtrack utterly ruins the scene and takes you out of the moment with its dissonance. The soundtrack of Duke Nukem 3D fits with the levels, rather than just being a jumble of noise that makes you turn the Music volume to freaking zero. Hell, even the trailers for Duke Nukem Forever had awesome music, with "Invaders Must Die" and "Battleflag".
3

User is offline   SOAR 

  • -19

#4

I agree with much of what you two are saying.
I also believe that Duke isn't a Super Hero, yet that's how he seems to be portrayed as of late
and that's something that I feel needs to change. In future games AND in any feature film.
He needs to be more relatable and honestly, Duke needs to take a cue "Q" from James Bond and
learn to be a little more Sophisticated. On a Sophistication scale of 1-10, Duke is like a 4 right now.
He certainly doesn't need to be a 9 or 10, or even an 8, but he should bump it up to at least a 7.
Duke is smarter than an 8th grader and what comes from his mouth should reflect a wittier, more
"tongue in cheek" attitude.
Loose the Crude juvenile humor.


Music: I'm a big fan of the music that has appeared in Most of the Duke Nukem games, except for maybe
Manhattan Project (which was a little too techno and repetitive, IMO). Often Duke is associated with hard
hitting heavy metal, and even though that type of music might be on his playlist, it was never the type of music
that accompanied the games.The music from Duke is a beautiful strange mix of classic/ambient/techno/metal/rock,
which to this day holds up as being very original sounding and one of the aspects which makes Duke STILL
enjoyable to play today.

The motivation in the story I have written DOES involve the side character Ashley, who gets
abducted. She acts as the motivating force behind Dukes MO, which IS Saving Babes.

Here is part of the scene when Ashley gets taken:


Ashley then looks into her rear view and sees Duke loading his grenade launcher.

KaCLICK, KaClick- go the two grenades

Duke shuts closed the launcher

Kachink!

He then aims at the giant mutant beast

Duke yells at Ashley

Duke: Get Down!

KerPLOOMP-goes the grenade as it’s launched at the Beast

The grenade flies directly past over Ashley’s driver’s side window

The beast then quickly shields itself by grabbing a hold of Ashley’s hood and ripping it away from the vehicle

BLAAAAAMMM!

The grenade hits directly into the hood “shield” that the beast is holding

The beast is knocked off balance, but is unscathed

The same can be said for the shield however, and the beast drops it to the ground

Ashley looks up in horror and amazement

Duke then burns rubber and drives past the beast in attempts to lead it away from Ashley.

The creature then turns while wiping the debris from its eyes and then scans the area for Duke.

Duke is now about 40 yards from the beast when he skids into another 180

Facing the beast once again, Duke peels out and heads straight for it!

He is now about 40-50 yards from the beast

Duke peels out and heads straight for the creature.

He takes aim

The monster widens its stance and lets out a huge roar as Duke approaches.

ROAR!!!

KerPLOOMP-goes the second grenade

BLAAAM!!

The grenade takes out the beasts left arm as it get a mean dose of grenade action.

The beast howls in agony as its arm falls to the ground in front of it

Duke then races ahead and into another 180 as he skids parallel to Ashley

Once again, He faces the monster.

Ashley rises up to get a peek at what is going on

She looks up and sees the beast roar at Duke as he is busy placing two more grenades into the launcher

KaClick, KaClick.

VaVroom!

Ashley watches Duke take off and ride past the beast!

The beast lunges at Duke with its only remaining arm attempting to grab Duke from his bike but is unsuccessful

This time the beast starts to follow Duke down the freeway

Ashley looks on Wide-eyed at the unbelievable event taking place before her

Duke gets a good distance away before turning around

When he comes out of another 180, he stops

Facing the Beast, which now is heading in Dukes direction, Duke revs the engine

Vroom, Vroom!

The beast gets closer and closer

Duke snarls...

The Beast snarls back!

Duke then pops the clutch

SCREEEETCH!!!

Duke burns rubber and races towards the Beast

Meanwhile:

Just then, off in the distance close behind Ashley, one of the mutant/alien dropship descends onto the freeway

Mutants get out and start to rip woman from their vehicles and kill any men in their way.

Ashley hears the ship but doesn’t see it

She looks into her rear view

Just as she does an assault trooper reaches inside and grabs her.

Duke gets up to speed and plays chicken with the beast, but at the last second aims the grenade launcher straight ahead...

Kerploomp- goes the grenade out of the barrel.

KaBLAM!!

Duke Blows off the Beasts nether regions and drives right between the beasts legs as fast as he can to get back to Ashley

The creature grabs its crotch then falls to the pavement.

Duke tries his best to get to Ashley on time...

However, the dropship hovers into the air, escaping with Dukes girl before he can get to her...

Duke skids to a halt and gets off his bike

He reaches for a weapon and takes aim at the dropship

He then fires away a projectile that sticks to the hull of the ship.

Duke then grabs his phone and syncs up the tracking device he just shot at the hull to the tracking device app on his phone.

He then watches helplessly as Ashley and the dropship disappear off into the distance.

He then calms down and gains his composure after realizing she will be fine because she can handle her own

As the ship trails off, he looks down at his phone, showing him precisely where Ashley and the ship are heading.

The beackon lights up

Its headed east, towards Vegas...

0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#5

View PostMajor Tom, on 19 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

And related to Points 2 and 6: if there has to be a “I couldn't save her” moment where Duke isn't able to rescue a babe, let that be the driving force for why he goes out of his way to rescue the rest of them.


How about the fact that he loves women? And he's not an asshole. He sees women in trouble, and goes to rescue them. It doesn't need to be some dramatic moment. Just Duke wanting to save the babes/world.

Quote

Keep the CG minimal and keep the pyro turned up to 11. AT LEAST five first-person sequences


YES. The actors need to do his own stunts... but for the FPS scenes, a bit excessive don't you think? One might be too much. That's something that Doom did already, and it worked for that movie, but I think doing it might be a mistake.

Quote

6. The Vulnerability of Duke Nukem = Yes, he's a badass, babe-magnet and multi-time savior of the world and a parody of other action heroes....but Duke Nukem needs to be relatable. There was that one .MP3 file released before Duke Nukem Forever came out: “Not my babes...NOT IN MY TOWN! You alien motherfuckers are gonna pay for this!”---it sent chills down my spine. It was the angriest I'd ever heard Duke sound, and it was glorious. This was Duke at his most pissed-off---and that is the kind of vulnerability he needs in the movie. Even better, this ties in with the whole “let Duke save the babes this time” thing---hedonist though he is, he respects women (and humanity) enough to want to rescue them, instead of just leaving them to their fates or “putting them out of their misery”. If he takes a bullet, make the audience feel that shot. If he gets kicked in the face, have him grit his teeth and spit out a tooth if he has to before charging back into the fray. If we have to see him bleed, so be it. And give Duke a breaking point moment---just like in Duke Nukem 3D. You know the kind---you're at 10 health, there's an Enforcer around the corner and a Pig Cop on the other side of the door you just closed, you've only got 20 pistol shots and two Pipe Bombs, and you haven't saved since the start of the level. Put Duke at his lowest, and have him fight his way back in the span of three to five minutes.


Please... please tell me you're joking. Duke isn't the vulnerable type. He gets mad, sure, but he's not VULNERABLE. That's the millennial way. Duke should be a badass, like John Matrix. Sure he gets mad, but he doesn't get wounded or anything like that. Duke represents the time before John Mclane, when muscle bound action heroes kicked ass, and didn't get shot, or if they did it didn't matter too much. Duke Nukem does NOT need to be vulnerable.... I know I sound like a broken record about now, but I hate... no I loathe the term vulnerable being used for Duke Nukem. Vulnerability is something the post-Nolan or Millennial movie would do. Duke is pre-Nolan, and should be treated as such. Look at the new Tomb Raider... it sucks. Lara Croft doesn't need to be vulnerable, or constantly getting her ass handed to her... Duke's the same way, he need to be a badass, and stay that way.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   Major Tom 

  • 65

#6

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 August 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Please... please tell me you're joking. Duke isn't the vulnerable type. He gets mad, sure, but he's not VULNERABLE. That's the millennial way. Duke should be a badass, like John Matrix. Sure he gets mad, but he doesn't get wounded or anything like that. Duke represents the time before John Mclane, when muscle bound action heroes kicked ass, and didn't get shot, or if they did it didn't matter too much. Duke Nukem does NOT need to be vulnerable.... I know I sound like a broken record about now, but I hate... no I loathe the term vulnerable being used for Duke Nukem. Vulnerability is something the post-Nolan or Millennial movie would do. Duke is pre-Nolan, and should be treated as such. Look at the new Tomb Raider... it sucks. Lara Croft doesn't need to be vulnerable, or constantly getting her ass handed to her... Duke's the same way, he need to be a badass, and stay that way.


....fair enough. I just don't want it to turn into a situation like that "Lucy" movie where Scarlett Johannson is dropping rooms full of dudes without flinching. If there's a point where Duke needs to regroup, let him regroup---don't have him charge into a room full of aliens/robots/whoever the enemies are and soak up bullets like a T-800.

As for the first-person stuff: I remember the Max Payne movie and how it had the ONE SCENE with bullet-time, and they managed to make it look worse than in The Matrix. At the very least, three first-person scenes would establish that this is, in fact, a Duke Nukem movie, and that we as fans should see at least that many scenes from his perspective.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 28 August 2017 - 05:48 AM

0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#7

View PostMajor Tom, on 28 August 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

....fair enough. I just don't want it to turn into a situation like that "Lucy" movie where Scarlett Johannson is dropping rooms full of dudes without flinching. If there's a point where Duke needs to regroup, let him regroup---don't have him charge into a room full of aliens/robots/whoever the enemies are and soak up bullets like a T-800.

As for the first-person stuff: I remember the Max Payne movie and how it had the ONE SCENE with bullet-time, and they managed to make it look worse than in The Matrix. At the very least, three first-person scenes would establish that this is, in fact, a Duke Nukem movie, and that we as fans should see at least that many scenes from his perspective.


Personally I think Duke shouldn't need to regroup, however, as long as he's not having a breakdown and crying, it would okay... I just don't like Duke being vulnerable... He's a man, and he's doing what he was born to do. I do agree that he should soak up bullets, he is human, so if he gets shot, it should hurt him.

I don't disagree that the movie should establish itself as a Duke Nukem movie. The problem with doing more than one FPS scene is that it could take the viewer out of the movie. It may be a video game based movie, BUT it is a movie, and should be treated as such. The movie should take the essence of the games, without being a game itself. I feel, personally, the best way to make the Duke Nukem great is to make it as if it is an 80's action movie. So an FPS scene would throw that off completely. I would be very upset if the Duke Nukem movie had more than one FPS scene, one is acceptable, but any more it would seem forced.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   necroslut 

  • 156

#8

I can't imagine one, not to mention three, first-person scenes coming across as anything other than gimmicky. One or two quick first-person shots, OK, but entire scenes sound like an awful idea. Haven't you seen Doom? Did you really think that worked?
1

User is offline   Major Tom 

  • 65

#9

View PostNever Forgotten, on 28 August 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Personally I think Duke shouldn't need to regroup, however, as long as he's not having a breakdown and crying, it would okay... I just don't like Duke being vulnerable... He's a man, and he's doing what he was born to do. I do agree that he should soak up bullets, he is human, so if he gets shot, it should hurt him.

I don't disagree that the movie should establish itself as a Duke Nukem movie. The problem with doing more than one FPS scene is that it could take the viewer out of the movie. It may be a video game based movie, BUT it is a movie, and should be treated as such. The movie should take the essence of the games, without being a game itself. I feel, personally, the best way to make the Duke Nukem great is to make it as if it is an 80's action movie. So an FPS scene would throw that off completely. I would be very upset if the Duke Nukem movie had more than one FPS scene, one is acceptable, but any more it would seem forced.


Duke crying would be.....probably the stupidest thing ever. When Stuntman Mike cries during the one part of Death Proof, it's.....weird, but at the very least understandable. Duke, on the other hand, doesn't cry, ever, even if he's digging bullets out of his arm with a scalpel or something.

Quick FPS shots over full-blown scenes would work---show the mooks in third-person, about to "ambush" Duke, then cut to first person to where he's wrecking their "ambush" and taking them out. That kind of thing, I'd accept.
0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#10

I think it should just be filmed as a movie. It's a video game based movie, not a video game...

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
3

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental
  • 1,985

#11

View PostMajor Tom, on 19 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:


7. The Rating = Hard R all the way. Deadpool proved that a property based on a comic book can be a Hard R action flick and not completely suck. There's a reason Duke Nukem 3D was rated M for Mature, and every game since then (except Time To Kill, the Game Boy Color game and Duke Nukem Advance) have followed suit. Don't sanitize the language, don't cover the bare boobs on the babes, and DON'T bother saying "oh, you can bring your kids to it"---this is Duke Nukem, not Commander Keen. PG-13 may mean "maximum audience appeal", but it waters down everything Duke stands for, and a watered-down Duke Nukem movie is a shitty Duke Nukem movie.



While I agree with your point I do have to point out that Time to Kill didn't skimp on the adult content. Well placed shotgun blasts would take pigs heads off, you could trigger phone sex with Lara Croft, there were strippers and all kinds of innuendos all over the place. Indeed, some of Duke's slicker lines come from Time to Kill.



Duke Nukem, since the tail end of the 90s, was already sacked with the notion that he was a bit out dated. That was something that I read as far back as Land of the Babes. I will always say that should be embraced. Absolutely embraced. Turn it against the wound be critics, turn it on it's head, change it to an advantage. A story arc similar to Wreck it Ralph or the last Rocky film would suit Duke's character. Hell, that isn't even that far off from the 80s movies like Commando. "You're getting old, John... You're getting old."

Stay away from gimmicks, though. Please. We don't need first person sequences. That idea in Doom might have worked if the entire film had been presented that way. Blair Witch with monsters and guns, but Duke's perspective was never integral to his games. He's done all kinds.




Duke Nukem The Series onYoutube Facebook and Duke4net!
Come Get Some!
1

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#12

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 August 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

While I agree with your point I do have to point out that Time to Kill didn't skimp on the adult content. Well placed shotgun blasts would take pigs heads off, you could trigger phone sex with Lara Croft, there were strippers and all kinds of innuendos all over the place. Indeed, some of Duke's slicker lines come from Time to Kill.



Duke Nukem, since the tail end of the 90s, was already sacked with the notion that he was a bit out dated. That was something that I read as far back as Land of the Babes. I will always say that should be embraced. Absolutely embraced. Turn it against the wound be critics, turn it on it's head, change it to an advantage. A story arc similar to Wreck it Ralph or the last Rocky film would suit Duke's character. Hell, that isn't even that far off from the 80s movies like Commando. "You're getting old, John... You're getting old."

Stay away from gimmicks, though. Please. We don't need first person sequences. That idea in Doom might have worked if the entire film had been presented that way. Blair Witch with monsters and guns, but Duke's perspective was never integral to his games. He's done all kinds.


Exactly. Also, the Duke Nukem movie is something that need to be made with caution. It's really easy to fuck up, BUT it's also simple to make right, you just have to get it in the right hands... sadly, there aren't many right hands in Hollywood. :/

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   necroslut 

  • 156

#13

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 August 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

While I agree with your point I do have to point out that Time to Kill didn't skimp on the adult content. Well placed shotgun blasts would take pigs heads off, you could trigger phone sex with Lara Croft, there were strippers and all kinds of innuendos all over the place. Indeed, some of Duke's slicker lines come from Time to Kill.


Duke Nukem, since the tail end of the 90s, was already sacked with the notion that he was a bit out dated. That was something that I read as far back as Land of the Babes. I will always say that should be embraced. Absolutely embraced. Turn it against the wound be critics, turn it on it's head, change it to an advantage. A story arc similar to Wreck it Ralph or the last Rocky film would suit Duke's character. Hell, that isn't even that far off from the 80s movies like Commando. "You're getting old, John... You're getting old."

Stay away from gimmicks, though. Please. We don't need first person sequences. That idea in Doom might have worked if the entire film had been presented that way. Blair Witch with monsters and guns, but Duke's perspective was never integral to his games. He's done all kinds.

Time to Kill had lots of (cartoony) gore and strippers and innuendo, but it had a far lighter mood than the often dark Duke 3D, as did the rest of the spin-off titles. Even Plutonium Pak, to some degree though not nearly as much.

It also didn't help that Land of the Babes was really campy and not very good a game - had it been better and more in line with Duke 3D... well, it might still have been seen as outdated, but LotB had quite a different mood and presentation, with a lot of focus on the 'babes' in the advertising and so on, and was arguably more "out of touch" than Duke 3D ever was. I don't remember people talking about the DNF trailers in the same way.

Well, the "out of touch" action hero is hardly something new... John McClane was kind of like that in the first Die Hard already, or Schwarzenegger in several movies. Even Rambo is out of touch and out of place, stuck in a world that's so different from what he knew, what he made sense of. I just don't think they should make this too comedic, because that will make it impossible to take the rest seriously.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 29 August 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Exactly. Also, the Duke Nukem movie is something that need to be made with caution. It's really easy to fuck up, BUT it's also simple to make right, you just have to get it in the right hands... sadly, there aren't many right hands in Hollywood. :/

I think part of the risk, as have happened with pretty much all video game adaptations, is that they might want to push it into a more trendy genre or style. As with many popular games, Duke's cinematic influences are hardly difficult to see.
Resident Evil was obviously "influenced" by classic zombie movies, Tomb Raider was Indiana Jones with a chick, Double Dragon was Bruce Lee + Fist of the North Star - it's usually real simple yet they've always fucked it up by making the movies something else completely, largely because what influenced them wasn't the "hot" thing to do right then.

It should have been so easy to make a good video game movie, but Hollywood is ran by retards.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 30 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

0

User is offline   Major Tom 

  • 65

#14

I think the universal solution is that we, the forum, get our best and brightest writers on this and do the script ourselves. That way, it won't get watered down by focus groups and asshats who want to throw in sponsorship deals left, right and center.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 5,496

  #15

View PostMajor Tom, on 30 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

I think the universal solution is that we, the forum, get our best and brightest writers on this and do the script ourselves.

Considering that in the other thread, people are arguing that Bombshell "must be blonde!!!!!!11111" I don't really have any faith in such a proposal.
0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#16

View PostMajor Tom, on 30 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

I think the universal solution is that we, the forum, get our best and brightest writers on this and do the script ourselves. That way, it won't get watered down by focus groups and asshats who want to throw in sponsorship deals left, right and center.


That's exactly what Hollywood does. They get their "Best and brightest" and look what happens. The way to do it is not to get a bunch of people together, but maybe one or two, that way it's one vision... too many people have too many different opinions, and then the movie would become what everyone on here doesn't want it to be: Just another video game movie. The Duke Nukem movie has to be done right, I've heard some really good ideas on here, SO getting a writer from the forums isn't the worst option, hell, even I'm working on one... I have been for the past 13 years... granted I was 5 when I first played Duke Nukem, and I started working on my idea when I was like 8 or so... But that's beside the point. The point is, we don't need a "writer's room", we just need one or two Duke fans to write it.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   PsychoGoatee 

  • 436

#17

View PostHendricks266, on 30 August 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

Considering that in the other thread, people are arguing that Bombshell "must be blonde!!!!!!11111" I don't really have any faith in such a proposal.


If Bombshell had a movie her hair color might not even be in the script, or they could just cast and not care about hair color. Take Daniel Craig as James Bond (James Blonde) for example. I'm not even on team blonde I'm just defending their rights and freedoms. :D
0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#18

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 30 August 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

If Bombshell had a movie her hair color might not even be in the script, or they could just cast and not care about hair color. Take Daniel Craig as James Bond (James Blonde) for example. I'm not even on team blonde I'm just defending their rights and freedoms. :D


That is true. Personally I the thought of the movie Bombshell being blonde, and wearing the classic white tank top/blue jeans. It seems more 80's/90's action move than the armor from the game does. That's my opinion. The problem with that is the fact that Gearbox doesn't have the rights for Bombshell, so they'd have to call her something else.






On a side note, this is my 300th post. :dukeaffirmative:

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   gemeaux333 

  • -1

#19

Well, I have suggested Winona Ryder for the role of Bombshell early, for many reasons such as her ressemblance (she would not mind being looking disfigurated for the role), her skill, and her will to always do something new (the first role of one-liner in this case)
0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#20

View Postgemeaux333, on 04 September 2017 - 05:29 AM, said:

Well, I have suggested Winona Ryder for the role of Bombshell early, for many reasons such as her ressemblance (she would not mind being looking disfigurated for the role), her skill, and her will to always do something new (the first role of one-liner in this case)


I guess for Shelly Harrison's Bombshell she would be all right. But what if they went the route of using 90's Bombshell? That is what I want to see, not the modern redesign.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   Major Tom 

  • 65

#21

View PostNever Forgotten, on 04 September 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

I guess for Shelly Harrison's Bombshell she would be all right. But what if they went the route of using 90's Bombshell? That is what I want to see, not the modern redesign.


90s Bombshell would be preferable.

Also, in regards to my "how to make the movie not suck" bullet point list: I would greatly appreciate it if they did sound-stage or location shooting as often as possible. Yes, Captain America: Civil War used CG to render an entire airport, but that only works if you have the budget. If they have to go for a dead mall to do a big action sequence, I'd have no problem with that. Real locations mean they can do a lot more and make it look a lot less fake.
1

User is offline   gemeaux333 

  • -1

#22

I don't think Shelly Harrison's Bombshell is wrong actually...
0

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

  • 144

#23

View Postgemeaux333, on 05 September 2017 - 06:09 AM, said:

I don't think Shelly Harrison's Bombshell is wrong actually...


My problem is the modernization of her. There's nothing resembling the original Bombshell, or even 90's in general. She has the modern armor, and the modern body type. There's just no fun in her design, in my opinion.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming
0

User is offline   Master O 

  • 40

#24

View PostMajor Tom, on 19 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

After watching "The biggest problems with action movies", I think I've come up with a good list of ways to make the Duke Nukem movie not suck.

1. The Story = We need to be invested in the story of a Duke Nukem movie, without going through the cliché list that Duke has already parodied. Duke and the plot need to be in constant motion---no hackneyed romantic subplot bullshit, no bureaucratic EDF snoozefests, and NO RECYLED PLOTS from anything else! Make damn sure the plot keeps the crowd on the edge of its seat and keeps Duke moving without dragging down the momentum and allows for plenty of fast-paced film-making. And related to Points 2 and 6: if there has to be a “I couldn't save her” moment where Duke isn't able to rescue a babe, let that be the driving force for why he goes out of his way to rescue the rest of them.

2. The Hero = Duke Nukem can't be the asshole who just LETS the chicks die because "it's better that way". Look at John McClane in Die Hard, then look at him in A Good Day To Die Hard. The difference is staggering. If Duke is going to be the hero, he needs to ACT like it---and that means more than just shooting aliens in the face and punching out Christian Bale stand-ins. For all his ego, Duke Nukem is a human being---let him be the lovable asshole, a la John McClane from the first four Die Hard movies. And for crap's sake, let Duke Nukem save the babes! DO NOT have him crack wise over a trapped chick just before something unholy bursts out of her chest. This is our protagonist, after all....we're supposed to be on his side, and he's supposed to be on our side. He's Duke Nukem, not Nameless Drab Military Shooter Protagonist Number 2145.

3. The Villain = The story is only as good as the villain. If we're going to have Duke fight the Cycloids again, let them have a “champion” who shows up repeatedly to stand up to Duke and be his antithesis. If it's Dr. Proton, dust off NegaDuke or have Proton take the fight to Duke on his own---let him be the Joker to Duke's Batman and crush him psychologically, rather than kicking his ass in an actual fight. Give “those alien bastards” a reason for kidnapping the chicks, or give Proton a better reason than “a radiation leak” for wanting to unleash his Tekbots on the world. Whoever the villain is, let them be Duke's polar opposite, but with a single link that connects them to Duke (and related to the story: don't let their fight be over a woman).

4. The Stunts = Whoever plays Duke should be willing to do their own stunts. Keep the CG minimal and keep the pyro turned up to 11. AT LEAST five first-person sequences---have one start with Duke getting his shades knocked off, have the camera zoom in on the downed shades and zoom in on one lens....then slowly pan up, revealing that Duke is raising the glasses to his face, then show his reflection sneering back at us as he loads his gun, thus starting the first-person sequence. Also, anyone trying to use the Max Payne movie as a reference should be fired. And just like the 2001 Duke Nukem Forever trailer: Vehicles. Lots and lots of vehicles. Jet skis, motorcycles, fighter jets....oh, and guns. Lots of guns.

5. The Camerawork = NO. SHAKY. CAMERA. I can't stress this enough. No shakycam. Unless it's in a first-person sequence and Duke jumps down from a height or gets knocked on his ass, so the “camera” would naturally shake from him landing....if it's a close-quarters fight between Duke and an alien, don't freaking cut away every five seconds and change the damn angle. Also, don't over-choreograph the gun-play. Go for vivid lighting, wide shots that give the viewers a chance to bask in the glorious carnage, and just enough first-person view to remind everyone that it's a Duke Nukem movie. And make sure to avoid the problems that the DooM movie had---if an alien decides to leer in Duke's face, don't just cut away at random. Have Duke grab the little prick by the throat and punch its teeth out!

6. The Vulnerability of Duke Nukem = Yes, he's a badass, babe-magnet and multi-time savior of the world and a parody of other action heroes....but Duke Nukem needs to be relatable. There was that one .MP3 file released before Duke Nukem Forever came out: “Not my babes...NOT IN MY TOWN! You alien motherfuckers are gonna pay for this!”---it sent chills down my spine. It was the angriest I'd ever heard Duke sound, and it was glorious. This was Duke at his most pissed-off---and that is the kind of vulnerability he needs in the movie. Even better, this ties in with the whole “let Duke save the babes this time” thing---hedonist though he is, he respects women (and humanity) enough to want to rescue them, instead of just leaving them to their fates or “putting them out of their misery”. If he takes a bullet, make the audience feel that shot. If he gets kicked in the face, have him grit his teeth and spit out a tooth if he has to before charging back into the fray. If we have to see him bleed, so be it. And give Duke a breaking point moment---just like in Duke Nukem 3D. You know the kind---you're at 10 health, there's an Enforcer around the corner and a Pig Cop on the other side of the door you just closed, you've only got 20 pistol shots and two Pipe Bombs, and you haven't saved since the start of the level. Put Duke at his lowest, and have him fight his way back in the span of three to five minutes.

7. The Rating = Hard R all the way. Deadpool proved that a property based on a comic book can be a Hard R action flick and not completely suck. There's a reason Duke Nukem 3D was rated M for Mature, and every game since then (except Time To Kill, the Game Boy Color game and Duke Nukem Advance) have followed suit. Don't sanitize the language, don't cover the bare boobs on the babes, and DON'T bother saying “oh, you can bring your kids to it”---this is Duke Nukem, not Commander Keen. PG-13 may mean “maximum audience appeal”, but it waters down everything Duke stands for, and a watered-down Duke Nukem movie is a shitty Duke Nukem movie.

8. The Music = This may sound weird, for a discussion about a movie, but think about the soundtracks to stuff like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Predator and even the first Matrix movie. A good soundtrack enhances and enriches the entire experience. A bad soundtrack utterly ruins the scene and takes you out of the moment with its dissonance. The soundtrack of Duke Nukem 3D fits with the levels, rather than just being a jumble of noise that makes you turn the Music volume to freaking zero. Hell, even the trailers for Duke Nukem Forever had awesome music, with "Invaders Must Die" and "Battleflag".


This makes too much sense, therefore, it will never be implemented. [/not sarcasm]
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options