Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem voice and character - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem voice and character  "voice and character of duke nukem"

User is offline   spessu_sb 

So recently I was watching on youtube some Leslie Nielsen videos and I realized that Duke Nukem used to deliver his act in a similar way. Back in the day Duke Nukem was funny without *trying* to be funny in an obvious way. Seriousness is the key as we all know, aswell as the way of what kinda tone of voice you use to deliver it.

Jon not being able to deliver it anymore because he's old or stuff is bs, since he has clearly demonstrated in just recent years that he still very much can do it. When he voices Duke like it not sounding so buff sometimes, it loses Duke's character because in the words of Duke3D producing "but Duke is a big buffed guy on stereoids, so let's lower his pitch". So if you don't do the gritted teeth thing and thus don't speak from low enough, how are you gonna deliver Duke Nukem then? In some more recent performances it almost sounds as if a guy looking like this is doing the voicing as opposed to this...

User is offline   Adekis 

Batman's the comparison I always make too. In "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", Bats tends to deliver great one-liners totally deadpan. ("Your concerto of crime is over, Music Meister! Your show's closing early due to criminal intent! ...And bad reviews."

It kind of reminds me of Duke. I think that if Jon St. Jon was ever unable to perform the role, I'd like Diedrich Bader to take over.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View Postthe Machine, on 05 August 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

NAILED It with the Leslie Nielson comparison I know exactly what you mean.

I hadn't ever before thought about it but it just occured to me nowadays that Duke's reputation is what it is to the general public. Obviously I'm by no means saying that Duke should be comedy but just that he should be serious. I think it's bit funny how a comedic actor can so well compare to Duke only because of that things that were fun about Duke Nukem's one-liners worked the same way as Leslie Nielsen's Frank Drebbin, being serious.

View Postthe Machine, on 06 August 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

I can also see a little bit of Adam West's Batman, and certainly a dose of
Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry and Kurt Russell's Snake Plisken.

When I look at Duke Nukem, I always see Arnold Schwarzenegger/Terminator first and all the other 80's action movie heros after, like John McClain.

View PostAdekis, on 06 August 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

Batman's the comparison I always make too. In "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", Bats tends to deliver great one-liners totally deadpan. ("Your concerto of crime is over, Music Meister! Your show's closing early due to criminal intent! ...And bad reviews."

Batman has some good oneliners too yep.

View PostAdekis, on 06 August 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

It kind of reminds me of Duke. I think that if Jon St. Jon was ever unable to perform the role, I'd like Diedrich Bader to take over.

I don't expect JSJ to be all the sudden unable to perform the role it but he seems to have some sort of personal problem with doing 100% authentic Duke Nukem. The kinda tone and act that Duke got known for you know? Because as Fred had asked about "can you gringe your teeth and do the voice" and he had responded something like "why?". Why? Because Duke Nukem speaks like that, it's not Jon Nukem so I atleast like to think that he should then act like Duke. It's his job afterall. So it's not really about wether or not "he" likes to do so, that's the character he's supposed to play/voice.

I'm not familiar with Diedrich Bader nor his work.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 07 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options