Duke4.net Forums: SUBWAYS! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SUBWAYS!

User is offline   FireFlame 

http://prntscr.com/g4jvvv - 2D
http://prntscr.com/g4jwmu - 3D

Is this an overly abused sector subway? Or what am i still missing? Every sector is Hi-Tagged with the same number but still only the outside base moves.. don't know what im doing wrong.. Is it for having slopes?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Your subway is too complicated. Only one sector (the outside sector in your case) is allowed to move. That means the outside and inside of the subway must be a single sector, and all child sectors in the subway must share an edge with the moving sector.

It's a bit of a shame the effect is as limited as it is since that's a nice looking subway.

Actually, you could probably make something that looks pretty similar to what you have there by having the moving sector narrowly weave through the child sectors.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

View PostMicky C, on 04 August 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

Actually, you could probably make something that looks pretty similar to what you have there by having the moving sector narrowly weave through the child sectors.

Thank you! I tried to make something that actually looks like a subway car... Not like the original at E3L6 xD
By narrowly weave you mean?

• Honored Donor

Every child sector must share an edge with the main sector, that means you need to separate out your child sectors so that they're surrounded by the main sector, and then move them close together so that it looks like they're connected even though they're not.

User is offline   Gambini 

Sectors don't need to share an edge, it is enough to share a vertex.

I think i see what you mean. I'll see what i can do and share any updates if i get it working.

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on 06 August 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

Sectors don't need to share an edge, it is enough to share a vertex.

True, the effect works by translating vertex positions. However can you think of a case where a vertex would be shared without a wall being shared? I thought my choice of words would be clearer to visualize from a description.

http://prntscr.com/g7za9l - 2D
http://prntscr.com/g7zank - 3D 1
http://prntscr.com/g7zasy - 3D 2

Although pretty simple its now working perfectly. Even if by mistake and only by deleting/joining sectors, it came out kinda good dont ya think?

This post has been edited by FireFlame: 13 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Would be fun some coding to gain more control over subways.
and potentially making them more complicated (sector detailed) etc

like it moves, stop, door opens, door closes, moves again.

Like those elevators I made.

door opens, close, moves, stop, opens.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 13 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostZaxtor, on 13 August 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Would be fun some coding to gain more control over subways.
and potentially making them more complicated (sector detailed) etc

like it moves, stop, door opens, door closes, moves again.

Like those elevators I made.

door opens, close, moves, stop, opens.

TekWar and KenBuild had trains like that, though they were only going in one straight line and not turning. They had moving sectors inside them, sliding doors etc. Shadow Warrior also had moving vehicles with enterable sectors.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

making it possible to turn etc would be very cool.

making it go straight is easier..

I have an elevator in my MOD that does more than 1 floor
I posted it before, you probably didn't see (not sure).
Kinda shares little similarity

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 14 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Mobile sectors are one of the main reasons I chose Duke 3D to make Blacklist TC; they give lot of possibilities for city based levels. Here's a replica I made of the subway train from Tekwar:

As Micky C said, all the train's sectors and walls (with wall I mean the white lines in 2D mode) need to be surrounded by the main moving sector. In the video, the white seats aren't joined to the wall with windows and neither are the doors. The only problem is secondary moving sectors can't carry the player. You have to keep him from getting into them.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 07 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice subway.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostPerro Seco, on 07 September 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Mobile sectors are one of the main reasons I chose Duke 3D to make Blacklist TC; they give lot of possibilities for city based levels. Here's a replica I made of the subway train from Tekwar:

As Micky C said, all the train's sectors and walls (with wall I mean the white lines in 2D mode) need to be surrounded by the main moving sector. In the video, the white seats aren't joined to the wall with windows and neither are the doors. The only problem is secondary moving sectors can't carry the player. You have to keep him from getting into them.

I have no idea how you did that, but that's amazing!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 07 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options