Duke4.net Forums: Edit posts - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Edit posts  "no more"

User is offline   Hank 

Seems you no longer can edit posts. I usually come back to check for super English.
Peace Piece then than crap grab etc. no more. :thumbsup:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You can edit posts for up to an hour after posting them. I changed it because certain users were going back and scrapping the previous contents of their posts, making for very confusing threads.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We'll change it back if our new forum software supports keeping logs of edits for the site staff to see (and potentially revert).

User is offline   Hank 

This won't be necessary,
a. I could check my posts a bit more, and
b. also have the habit of adding stuff days later, so
c. I might be even be on TerminX' Black List.

This post has been edited by Hank: 30 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Some people are too afraid to "double post" so they will edit a post from a while back. Just post twice. It doesn't bother me. I do it often.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We're talking more about blanking out and/or replacing entire posts from months ago.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

WHAT??? People on this forum would never do that!!!! :) :) :D :dukeohnoes:

Seriously though, can we turn editing back on for the mapping section of the forum?

For an example, I didn't know about the editing problem and I reserved a post below the first one for more map information and to included some renders of the models. I can't do that now.
Also, we had an announcement thread. I wanted to keep everything in one thread, not have an announcement and a separate release thread. We can't do that at the moment.
On top of that, I forgot to put some information into the first post about Mblackwell's Polymer lighting speedup. Each time we do this, I have to come running to you, cap in hand, to get changes made. It would be great to just be able to edit the post ourselves.

Maybe just be able to edit the first post in a mapping thread? I don't know if you have that fine control in the forum soft.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that it would be abused that much (maybe naive of me I admit) in the mapping area. It tends to be people releasing maps and updating release information.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 August 2017 - 12:43 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe allow certain members who we know won't abuse the editing feature to have perpetual editing privileges? Is that possible?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 August 2017 - 05:13 AM

• Polymancer

I was going to suggest that myself, but from what I understand, the guy responsible for getting this particular restriction implemented wasn't some "ban-me-I-dare-you" character, but a developer.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Heh...yes.

Is it possible to just disable the feature for certain members?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Editing posts at any time after posting will return when we're done migrating to XenForo and can record edit histories.

• Polymancer

I noticed that the feature is still active for PMs.

Can it be enabled for different sections of the forum?

Oh, and Mark, no, you must have imagined all that. :)

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

if this software & the one being migrated to are 'typical' - then yes, it's possible to allow editing by only certain individuals & only in certain thread - but it can be tedious to do that.
then that opens the door for why person X can do it, but person Y can't. And same about each thread. The blanket policy is the best policy until the admin is happy with the logging system.

I like to edit because my grammar is atrocious & I usually don't catch it until much later, but I can live without it if that's the decision in the end

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTerminX, on 29 August 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Editing posts at any time after posting will return when we're done migrating to XenForo and can record edit histories.
Bump!
I'd really like to update some download links in an older post.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I was thinking that it might be useful if only OPs are allowed to edit the first post in a thread. Only because modders not being able to update links in their first post has been a reoccurring issue lately.

This post has been edited by Radar: 28 February 2019 - 05:24 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options