Duke4.net Forums: [MAPPING DYNAMIC] NUKEM CITY - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[MAPPING DYNAMIC] NUKEM CITY  "Let's do this for fun!"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Hi everyone. I would like to take a break from my TC and nature / ruin themed maps. So I started a short city map to see how quick I can release it, but then something came to my mind:

What if there would be many versions of the map?

Well we can make this happen. Why not make many versions of the same map, different gameplay, different rythm, locations, etc.?

So I'm proposing the next. There are only 3 rules:

1. Use the attached map as base, build with the atomic edition tileset and vanilla eduke, no mods.

2. Don't build new isolated areas, everything must be inside the big rectangle, you can add areas around the map but don't go extremely crazy, some apartments or buildings are ok as far as they are connected to the main hub and don't take you to new areas. You can add tunnels, underground zones, teletransporters to go from one side to the other, or anything you can imagine.

3. Don't release the map, instead post it here when you are done, there will not be betatesting yet, we can test and fix the maps later and even release them together afterwards if this amounts to something.

Anyone can use the map as base to give it his own style: flooded city, futuristic city, snowy, daytime, alien, you name it! There is no restriction for theme or gameplay duration, although probably it will be short due the map size. You can make any modification you want: delete sectors, add new buildings, change starting point, make it higher of lower, as far as don't scale the whole map or exceed the big rectangle, you can make it smaller or cut some corners though.

You can use Polymer and/or TROR although I don't recommend TROR if you don't have a clear idea of what are you doing because the map layout is made out of one open big sector.

There's no time limit, but I was going for a month deadline to release my own map, so I'm gonna post it here when it's done.

Good luck!

Attached Image: capt0006.png

Attached Image: capt0007.png

Attached Image: capt0008.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Mark 

This is the goofiest glitch I have run across lately. I added and textured some sectors. I added a sprite on a wall. I hit V to change it to something else and my tile selection screen is blank but I can still see the tile names in the corner. I reinstalled eduke and mapster but still the same problem. I loaded other maps in the same folder and no problems. I went back to this map and the problem is back. How the heck can a map affect whether or not the tiles display properly in Mapster. I'm waiting to see if anyone has issues.

• Music Producer

Damn!! That sounds really fucked up! I have no problems on my end. Gonna check if something is wrong with the map.

EDIT: I'm using build 5868

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 27 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I had 6180 and changed to the latest whatever it is.

EDIT: Its working when I tried it with my all time favorite 4593

EDIT AGAIN: I went back to newer eduke revision and problem remains. Just to play it safe I deleted my textures and cache files and let them rebuild. Problem still there. So as far as I can tell I have found a bug.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Mike, did you test it with a newer revision yet? I'm curious to find out before I shut down for the night.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

• Music Producer

Sorry Mark, I'm on a shitty internet conection and I can't even download a 2 MB synthesis :thumbsup:

I wonder if somebody else can confirm the bug.

View PostMike Norvak, on 27 July 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

I wonder if somebody else can confirm the bug.

Tried in 5265, no prob - really must get round to updating !

BTW, just two clarify "rule" 2, are isolated sectors outside the main area OK provided they are neither visible to or visited by the player ? I'm thinking help sectors for F/X, and possible places for rotation centers (big radius!).

TTFN,
Jon

User is offline   Mark 

C'mon people. I see 13 downloads of the map and nobody else but me has tried it out with a newer revision of Eduke to confirm or deny the bug.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

We're not making maps for fun.

I like Mike's idea, but looking at these shots I can instantly say that it looks very classic, square and tight - something which is not the alma mater of the majority of mappers. Sure we can come with a good set of maps even with a base like that, but how much variety we can get? As soon as all basic themes will be done, the maps starts to repeat themselves, and we have about 7-8 maps total.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 29 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

• Music Producer

View PostSanek, on 29 July 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

We're not making maps for fun.

Either you are saying mapping isn't fun for you, or that you are getting paid for mapping 😮

@The Mechanic: Don't worry I was talking about making enterely new areas that you have to visit after completing the main hub with no contact with it, some buildings with windows to the outside are fine. Inaccesible areas for deciration or inmersion are okay as well. Don't mind about the helper sectors since they are part of the mechanic of your map (no pun intended)

@Marked: I can try it later today.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 29 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMike Norvak, on 29 July 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

Either you are saying mapping isn't fun for you, or that you are getting paid for mapping 😮

I'm not saying it isn't fun for me, I just saying that it's not fun to get the work done when you're not making your project all by yourself. The mapping itself is only slightly enjoyable thing. Think edgier.

And read my post again, something new has been added.

• Music Producer

Sanek you've got a point, anyway is not like I'm forcing anyone to make a contribution. It doesn't hurt to have slightly different versions of one map if that's the case anyway.

@Marked: I tested the map with 6399 64 Bit with no problem.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 29 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostMark., on 29 July 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

C'mon people. I see 13 downloads of the map and nobody else but me has tried it out with a newer revision of Eduke to confirm or deny the bug.

Now I'm on my main machine, can confirm no probs on 6120 (Linux). 'Fraid I wont be using a later one for a while as I'm not brave enough to recompile one again (though last time I have to say it all went sweetly).

TTFN,
Jon

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I really like the idea, I wanted to start mapping but I don't really have time atm :/
Wanted to restrict myself to +95% EP4 texture set only with only some supplemental textures for a set allowed.

Bomb there is to damage the player to a low HP for an idea I've been wanting to do for some time but this is really not the time.

I hope other people will get their variations done, consider this a motivational snap !

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0080.png

• Music Producer

Great Oasiz!!
I'm quickly getting the map done, trying different things rarely seen in user maps, mostly focusing in gameplay than anything. Consider this released at the end of the month. :thumbsup: Is anyone else using the template?

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 12 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostMike Norvak, on 12 August 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

Is anyone else using the template?

Had a couple of bashes, yes. I've ended up using TROR as I want to go in one building and on to its roof; had thought of TROR underground bit too, but had a rethink - it occurred to me that was simply creating extra areas which was really no different to adding areas outside the main "box" so decided not to. Given the fairly restricted area, I think this needs to me more of a frag fest than a puzzle quest.

TTFN,
Jon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options