Duke4.net Forums: BloodGDX shows why Blood is the best Build game - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BloodGDX shows why Blood is the best Build game

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Ever since BloodGDX came out I'm slowly but steadily getting back into the game and hell, I have to say that the new features really did wonders to Blood, honestly to a much bigger extent than what EDuke32 and Classic Redux did to Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior.

The smooth aiming, the higher resolution and the higher framerate provide a combination of improvements that really make Blood's mechanics shine. The gameplay flow becomes magnificent once the whole thing clicks, it's wonderfully fast-paced, tactical, varied, high-octane action and you just appreciate the game more and more the deeper you get into it. It's just mind blowing how well almost everything holds up and thanks to the complex levels (6 different types of keys, lol) and the well thought out arsenal it's really something that will challenge even the most die hard FPS veterans. Doom needed Brutal Doom's mechanical adjustments to feel fresh for me but Blood? This game just needed a new port and it already provides the very same level of enjoyment and intensity I get from Brutal Doom or Doom 2016 out of the box. :thumbsup: It's a fucking testament to how well 3D Realms and Monolith got FPS game design in the 90s.

https://www.youtube....h?v=LotR9JiAlqU
Duke 3D may have a bit more style, Shadow Warrior may be a bit smarter in its level design but when it comes to the overall gameplay Blood is the true king of classic arcade FPS action. I'm having an absolute blast, huge thanks to M210 for finally unleashing this game's true potential.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

Agree..

The atmosphere in blood has imo never been done again.

and on the level design..
If you didn't do it yet, try the lost episode (levels from Alpha)..
Some cool architecture in there.

User is offline   Devon 

View PostZaxx, on 23 July 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

Ever since BloodGDX came out I'm slowly but steadily getting back into the game and hell, I have to say that the new features really did wonders to Blood, honestly to a much bigger extent than what EDuke32 and Classic Redux did to Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior.

The smooth aiming, the higher resolution and the higher framerate provide a combination of improvements that really make Blood's mechanics shine. The gameplay flow becomes magnificent once the whole thing clicks, it's wonderfully fast-paced, tactical, varied, high-octane action and you just appreciate the game more and more the deeper you get into it. It's just mind blowing how well almost everything holds up and thanks to the complex levels (6 different types of keys, lol) and the well thought out arsenal it's really something that will challenge even the most die hard FPS veterans. Doom needed Brutal Doom's mechanical adjustments to feel fresh for me but Blood? This game just needed a new port and it already provides the very same level of enjoyment and intensity I get from Brutal Doom or Doom 2016 out of the box. :thumbsup: It's a fucking testament to how well 3D Realms and Monolith got FPS game design in the 90s.

https://www.youtube....h?v=LotR9JiAlqU
Duke 3D may have a bit more style, Shadow Warrior may be a bit smarter in its level design but when it comes to the overall gameplay Blood is the true king of classic arcade FPS action. I'm having an absolute blast, huge thanks to M210 for finally unleashing this game's true potential.

Yeah i agree about how well the game is put together.
I really get a kick out of the awsome gameplay, it is so damn badass.

User is offline   Devon 

View PostMariusArmand, on 23 July 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Agree..

The atmosphere in blood has imo never been done again.

and on the level design..
If you didn't do it yet, try the lost episode (levels from Alpha)..
Some cool architecture in there.

I just started playing the alpha levels
Im on the boiling point level now and there are indeed some cool design put into these levels.

One thing that strike me in particular is how huge the rooms are in comparison to the officially released game.

For indoor areas some of these rooms are simply enormous for being blood.

So far the first level has impressed me the most, the fortress is to me awsome in its design and layout.
Also the enemy count and pickups are increased dramaticlly here.

Right now i will finish the alpha and then continue on my playthrough of the frenchmeat episode.

Before this i played through the whole original campaign (incl plasma pack)
And then i sank my teeth into the deathwish Mod and i gotta say Deathwish is f*cking amazing... i got no other word for it really, it was so much fun i got up earlier every day to play before work hehe.

Now all i need to do is to wait for better custom content support so i can play alone in the dark and some other stuff wich includes new music and what not.

It is strange how damn well Blood holds up compared to so many other games from that era and today aswell.

Best regards.

This post has been edited by Devon: 25 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options