Duke4.net Forums: The DNF demo is now available in the DNF Museum site - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The DNF demo is now available in the DNF Museum site

I finally found the time to organize and upload the Files section of the DNF Museum, which also includes the demo. http://duke4ever.alt....org/files.html

User is offline   Mark 

I downloaded and extracted the 2 files to a clean folder. The 2nd file had lots of file name duplication. I chose to let it overwrite the first. Clicking on the exe file to run brought up an error message only. I guess I'll have to wait for others to try and see if they get the same result or not.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

User is offline   The Nate 

I really want this to work. I got the same thing as Mark.

View PostMark., on 22 July 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

I downloaded and extracted the 2 files to a clean folder. The 2nd file had lots of file name duplication. I chose to let it overwrite the first. Clicking on the exe file to run brought up an error message only. I guess I'll have to wait for others to try and see if they get the same result or not.

That's not supposed to happen. I'm gonna check what went wrong.

EDIT: got it. I thought the procedure to extract and run the demo would be intuitive, but apparently it wasn't. So, here are the instructions to do it correctly. First, it's important to know that what you are downloading is NOT a pair of archives containing different files. It is a single archive, split in two.

1) Double-click on either of the two files, enter the password and extract the content into the directory you want. At the end, DO NOT do the same with the other file, because you already extracted the whole demo.
2) In the newly created directory, you will find a new .rar file called Dukenukemcrack.rar. Double-click on it and extract the content into the same directory you created for the demo.
3) You will find a new subdirectory, called Dukenukemcrack. Inside, there are three files. You must cut them, reach the System subdirectory and paste them.
4) You can now launch the demo, by double clicking the DukeForeverDemo.exe executable.

I also updated the Files page to include these instructions.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I tried with the new instructions. I get the same " application was unable to start error" as the first time when clicking on the exe

Just for reference my new dnfdemo folder is 1.73GB, 355 files, 25 folders

I saw Steam related dll's in the system folder. Is a Steam account required to play the demo? If it is, that would explain why it won't run for me.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

No, those DLLs make it independent from Steam. What operating system do you have? I tried on Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional, and it runs fine in both cases. If you have a more recent version, what happens if you run it with Windows 7 compatibility?
And what antivirus do you have? I tried it with Avast (had to add DukeForeverDemo.exe as an exception) and Microsoft Security Essentials (it runs fine without doing anything).
And my demo folder also is 1.73GB, 355 files, 25 folders.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

User is offline   Mark 

win7 64bit, no AV, is my amount of folders/files correct

View PostMark., on 22 July 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

win7 64bit, no AV, is my amount of folders/files correct

Yes, it's correct.
What video card and what driver version do you have? I tried it with a GeForce 610M (drivers 295.73) and a GeForce GTX 1050 TI (drivers 378.78) and it runs fine in both cases.

User is offline   Mark 

nvidia 750ti, not the absolute latest drivers but fairly recent from sometime this year I think. ( 365.19 )

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

I have an alternative crack available. I originally didn't bother to link it from the Files page because it never worked for me, but maybe it will work for you. https://anon.to/eKcpjM

P. S.
Just to be sure (BEFORE you try the new files): after you extracted the three files from Dukenukemcrack.rar, you pasted them into the System directory overwriting the original files, right?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Mark 

yes. And for what its worth, either exe gave the same error message with code.

Tried the latest fix and still same error message. I sure wish more than 1 other person had tried this to see if its on my end or not. Anyways, I give up. I'm deleting the folder and original files. Thanks for trying.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

If you can't get it working, I still have the files from when the demo first appeared, so I can try uploading them at some point if you want - it will take a while though as I need to find a spare 20+ hour slot to do it.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 22 July 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Tried the latest fix and still same error message. I sure wish more than 1 other person had tried this to see if its on my end or not. Anyways, I give up. I'm deleting the folder and original files. Thanks for trying.

Since we are friends, I was obliged to check the demo
The first thing was that Webroot gives me a warning about the *exe file, and removed it. Since it is a crack, I can't officially get them to check the file.
Then, circumventing webroot, I get this summation from the program pop-up.
Spoiler

That too, could be checked out and fixed.

Bottom line, nice effort, but does not work for me, either. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Hank: 22 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostMark., on 22 July 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Either .exe. As in, the original executable and the first crack. Then, the crack is not the culprit: if I run the original executable, a message appear that says "Steam must be running to play this game".

View PostHigh Treason, on 22 July 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

If you can't get it working, I still have the files from when the demo first appeared

It's the same version I uploaded, then. I just rearchived it to work around Mega's 1 GB file size limit.

View PostHank, on 22 July 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Problem Event Name: BEX

I googled this and found a possible solution. BEX means Buffer overflow EXception: the program may be prevented from running by the Data Execution Prevention feature. If you want to disable it for that particular executable, this is how you proceed: http://www.thewindow...-prevention-dep

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

It works for me, Windows 10 64bit. I did as in your instructions and at first Avast auto quaranteened the executable but after I unblocked it, it launched successfully.

Now does this version of the demo have that dev console and if yes, how do you enable it since it doesn't run through steam?

edit: Thanks one more time for upping this.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 23 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

View Postspessu_sb, on 23 July 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

It works for me, Windows 10 64bit. I did as in your instructions and at first Avast auto quaranteened the executable but after I unblocked it, it launched successfully.

Now does this version of the demo have that dev console and if yes, how do you enable it since it doesn't run through steam?

edit: Thanks one more time for upping this.

Glad to see it works. Yes, it has the dev console. I updated the page with the instructions of how to enable it, but I'm also gonna paste them here.

1. If the Duke game is open, close it.

2. In the shortcut properties to the Duke game, add this to the path of the game in the target box: -log
It should look like this: "X:\Path\DukeForeverDemo.exe" -log
Note: You can create the shortcut to this file yourself if needed.

3. Open the game with this shortcut.

4. Press the Windows Key or ALT+Tab to move out of the game and to the console window.

5. In the console window, enter this command:
set UWindow.WindowConsole ConsoleKey 192

6. After you’ve entered the command, quit/exit the game.

7. Now, start the game without the shortcut, or after removing -log from the shortcut.

8. While the game is running, press the ~ key, which is usually located at the top left of the keyboard.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 23 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Why is the exe being flagged by AV apps?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Worked fine for me. Win7 x64, and I do have steam installed.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 23 July 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Why is the exe being flagged by AV apps?

Webroot claims it is "W32.Malware.Gen" . To validate if this is another false positive I'd need to forward the .exe file to Webroot. The .exe file might be infected or it may not be. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHank, on 23 July 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Webroot claims it is "W32.Malware.Gen" .

Let's take a look at that name.

W32: Windows. The 32 doesn't necessarily mean that it's 32-bit, just that it's not 16-bit.

Malware: A category, ok.

Gen: That's it? No name? "General"? "Generator"?

It's probably the AV telling you you "shouldn't" have it on your computer, not that it's dangerous.

BTW, does this demo work unmodified if you have Steam open and own DNF?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHendricks266, on 23 July 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Let's take a look at that name.

W32: Windows. The 32 doesn't necessarily mean that it's 32-bit, just that it's not 16-bit.

Malware: A category, ok.

Gen: That's it? No name? "General"? "Generator"?

It's probably the AV telling you you "shouldn't" have it on your computer, not that it's dangerous.

When something is embedded in a .exe file, call me paranoid, I am, it gets removed.
https://www.enigmaso...aregen-removal/

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Basically w32.malware.gen is a generic label used for generic heuristics checks, doesn't necessarily mean it's infected, it just thinks it *might* be.

Most cracks/no-cd patches are flagged by AV software.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostAltered Reality, on 23 July 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Glad to see it works. Yes, it has the dev console. I updated the page with the instructions of how to enable it, but I'm also gonna paste them here.

1. If the Duke game is open, close it.

2. In the shortcut properties to the Duke game, add this to the path of the game in the target box: -log
It should look like this: "X:\Path\DukeForeverDemo.exe" -log
Note: You can create the shortcut to this file yourself if needed.

3. Open the game with this shortcut.

4. Press the Windows Key or ALT+Tab to move out of the game and to the console window.

5. In the console window, enter this command:
set UWindow.WindowConsole ConsoleKey 192

6. After you’ve entered the command, quit/exit the game.

7. Now, start the game without the shortcut, or after removing -log from the shortcut.

8. While the game is running, press the ~ key, which is usually located at the top left of the keyboard.

Thanks, I will try this today.

View PostHendricks266, on 23 July 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

I think it does because I currently have DNF retail version in steam installed and when I ran the demo, I believe I had steam running in the bg and it gave no issues whatsoever.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 23 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostHank, on 23 July 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

When something is embedded in a .exe file, call me paranoid, I am, it gets removed.
https://www.enigmaso...aregen-removal/

Bingo!

User is offline   Player Lin 

Using any of cracks will make your sensitive AV(if it's sensitive about such generic types of malware) complain and want you remove it, most likely...and yeah...that's why some don't using any crack programs...because sensitive AVs would hate them and it also risky if the crack is fake and contain malwares for sure.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   Romulus 

Use a Steam Emulator like SSE which can make use of the Original executable without having to tamper with your original Steam account/Installation nor having to risk running a Cracked executable.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 24 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

So what kinds of things can you do with the dev console in the DNF demo?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The Demo console has tab completion, for one. So, if someone could make a full list of console commands, that'd be helpful for those who want to fuck around with the full game.

View PostStriker, on 24 July 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

The Demo console has tab completion, for one. So, if someone could make a full list of console commands, that'd be helpful for those who want to fuck around with the full game.

Done. http://duke4ever.alt...docs.html#cheat

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options