Duke4.net Forums: Original User Maps - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Original User Maps

User is offline   FireFlame 

I have managed on removing the original episodes from the selection list but the original maps still remain on the USER MAPS section, although without their original soundtracks. Is there a way to remove them from there?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I can only think of one way to do it but it is horribly hackish and I don't want to be responsible for supporting it.

Thanks for asking the question. I've noted it for future investigation.

For now, I wouldn't worry about the user map menu. By definition, it's something you need to trust users to take care of for themselves.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostFireFlame, on 20 July 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

I have managed on removing the original episodes from the selection list but the original maps still remain on the USER MAPS section, although without their original soundtracks. Is there a way to remove them from there?

I donĀ“t really understand what you did or what are you want to do.

Did you removed the original maps from the USER.CON? If this is the case and the maps still remain in the user maps section, try to delete them from the Duke3d.grp.

View PostHendricks266, on 20 July 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

I can only think of one way to do it but it is horribly hackish and I don't want to be responsible for supporting it.

Thanks for asking the question. I've noted it for future investigation.

For now, I wouldn't worry about the user map menu. By definition, it's something you need to trust users to take care of for themselves.

It isn't anything hackish but only to remove the oficial maps from the USER MAPS section. I don't wanna go share my own original episodes with original maps that you have to pay for in order to own them.

Yes blizzart. I edited USER.CON to remove the original episodes and specific audio from each of the original maps. They just appear at the USER MAPS section under E1L1, E1L2, etc names. I just want to remove them.
Edut duke32.grp? Have no idea how

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFireFlame, on 21 July 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

It isn't anything hackish but only to remove the oficial maps from the USER MAPS section. I don't wanna go share my own original episodes with original maps that you have to pay for in order to own them.

By "hackish" I mean the solution that I was considering. There exists a def file token that will let you rename a file within a GRP container, as far as the game sees it, so you could change the file extensions of the maps and it would achieve what you want.

That said, I'm not sure what you mean for the second part. Redistributing the original game data (duke3d.grp) is not allowed. Could explain more about what you are trying to achieve?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Actually you are not allowed to distribute any of the contents of the .grp file at least not legally, so fhere's no point of just removing the maps.

You are allowed to distribute as long as only the first episode is available, otherwise the freeware of duke nukem 3d wasn't as free as it is.

All i want to is NOT TO share the original levels with my friends. ONLY my own custom content. Thats as resumed as it can get.

This post has been edited by FireFlame: 22 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFireFlame, on 22 July 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

You are allowed to distribute as long as only the first episode is available, otherwise the freeware of duke nukem 3d wasn't as free as it is.

This is just as incorrect as "downloading ROMs is legal if you delete it within 24 hours". Redistributing the duke3d.grp, even if you've somehow made the map files inaccessible, is not allowed. Furthermore, the shareware version of the game expressly prohibits modding and redistribution of anything other than the untouched original data in its entirety.

View PostFireFlame, on 22 July 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

All i want to is NOT TO share the original levels with my friends. ONLY my own custom content. Thats as resumed as it can get.

Create your own GRP file with just your maps (and art or other files, if necessary). Put it in a folder alongside eduke32.exe and select the folder as a Custom game content directory in the startup window.

Thanks for the heads up. Creating a new grp file. Only problem is, the game name isn't showing up in eduke's launcher.... any ideas?

• Weaponized Autism

Re-read my instructions. "Create your own GRP file with just your maps (and art or other files, if necessary). Put it in a folder alongside eduke32.exe and select the folder as a Custom game content directory in the startup window." When you select a directory like that, it will automatically load all GRP files contained within. Having it show up alongside other GRPs is not the goal.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options