Duke4.net Forums: Update on Blood EX - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Update on Blood EX

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Samuel 'Kaiser' Villarreal‏ posted this on his Twitter page today:
https://puu.sh/wLppI/1ad307aef8.mp4

Guess the project is alive and well. With two promising source ports in active development, the future for Blood fans is looking better than ever :P

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Three.

Well, two, because Blood EX follows the EX formula standard for anything but Doom stuff: rip the assets and reprogram the rest of the game by sight. It's not a source port.

I respect BloodGDX (and BloodXL, for that matter) for using actual code material. Their problem is that their way of doing so is illegal.

User is offline   axl 

Wow, first of all... this is excellent news ! And more so because Kaiser normally releases his source code (as he did with Powerslave EX).

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Three.

Well, two, because Blood EX follows the EX formula standard for anything but Doom stuff: rip the assets and reprogram the rest of the game by sight. It's not a source port.

I respect BloodGDX (and BloodXL, for that matter) for using actual code material. Their problem is that their way of doing so is illegal.

Should we read between the lines here and are you implying you're working on your own port ? :P Or are we just counting BloodGDX, BloodEX and BloodXL...

• Weaponized Autism

Correct reading. I'm not counting BloodXL because it has not shown any signs of life in years (since he merged Shadow Warrior and the Build Engine into his code and still called it the "XL Engine").

User is offline   Mark 

Some people may like the wide variety of choice for ports of a game. I don't want to see us become like Doom and Quake where you have so many versions to chose from, some support this pack and some that pack. This supports features x and y, that one supports features a and b. It gets so confusing and fragmented IMO.

In my "perfect world" there would be one port for the 8 bit purists and one port for the high res custom modders.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Correct reading. I'm not counting BloodXL because it has not shown any signs of life in years (since he merged Shadow Warrior and the Build Engine into his code and still called it the "XL Engine").

... and the good news keeps on coming these days !

User is offline   Dzierzan 

That looks promising too. Even AI behaves just like in original Blood.

Sometimes I wanna believe that Jace Hall leaked Blood's source code to someone and that mysterious person is making the source port in the secret...

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 18 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Three.

I'm pretty sure Blood EX reads the original RFF.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostStriker, on 18 July 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Blood EX reads the original RFF.

File formats are the lowest form of reverse-engineering. Did you see where I mentioned "ripping the assets"? Maybe that would have made more sense in context of Powerslave EX.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

File formats are the lowest form of reverse-engineering. Did you see where I mentioned "ripping the assets"? Maybe that would have made more sense for Powerslave EX.

"Ripping the assets" is exactly what I was replying to. I'm pretty sure it reads the RFFs and the assets within instead of ripping and repackaging everything into KPF. Doing such for Powerslave EX does make sense if PSX Powerslave is anything like some of the PSX games I've played (where not all the data is exposed when reading the disc in a PC. Some games used specific sector offsets on the disc to read raw data. Anti-piracy measure. Not sure if Powerslave was really like this though.)

Made sense for Turok 2 as well considering that port is mainly based on the N64 sources and packaging the ROM probably wouldn't have been viable.

This post has been edited by Striker: 18 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Well, it looks like Blood and I kind of like that weapon wheel from Turok.

Also I moved this thread from the BloodGDX forum since that isn't a general Blood forum.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There are like forty Doom ports but your average player uses like three, and only one of them because it has functional multiplayer.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostSonicB00M, on 18 July 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Samuel 'Kaiser' Villarreal‏ posted this on his Twitter page today:
https://puu.sh/wLppI/1ad307aef8.mp4

Guess the project is alive and well. With two promising source ports in active development, the future for Blood fans is looking better than ever :P

How is it promising if Warner Brothers can send out a Cease and Desist and it's all gone in the blink of an eye?

User is offline   Jim 

It's time like this when I am really Glad M210 is Russian

View PostJim, on 18 July 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

It's time like this when I am really Glad M210 is Russian

His project is hosted on American servers.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 18 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   Jim 

View Posticecoldduke, on 18 July 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

His project is hosted on American servers.

He doesn't have to. He can easily find a Russian server. I can get him a chinese server if it comes down to that lol

User is offline   fgsfds 

Last time I heard from Kaiser, he said that EX won't be a strict port, but rather a "modernized recreation", or whatever he said. Don't want to say anything bad about it before it came out, but have to admit, he completely lost me there.

Citation

EX moves away from BUILD in terms of mechanics and basically reproduces the original game in a modernized engine, which means floating point math instead of fixed point and timing/speed/movement etc has to be scaled down to match the original game, so theres bound to be some minor flaws here and there. Though despite of that, EX will have a more dedicated focus on modding and customization.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 18 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

User is offline   Jim 

View Postfgsfds, on 18 July 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Last time I heard from Kaiser, he said that EX won't be a strict port, but rather a "modernized recreation", or whatever he said. Don't want to say anything bad about it before it came out, but have to admit, he completely lost me there.

If that is the case, might be good to make new levels and create the "Blood 2" that we never got. Hell, Darkwatch is better than the abomination that is Blood II

• Weaponized Autism

View Postfgsfds, on 18 July 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Last time I heard from Kaiser, he said that EX won't be a strict port, but rather a "modernized recreation", or whatever he said.

Sounds like a cop-out. :/

User is offline   axl 

A "modernized recreation" ?

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused right now. It sure does explain the "weapon wheel" reminiscent of Turok in the posted video. I'm not against some modernisations... but I'm a bit more reluctant towards gameplay changes/flaws...

Anyway, probably way too soon to tell and Kaiser has never let me down before...

This post has been edited by axl: 18 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

The key word here is "recreation". There is nothing wrong about modernizations that don't affect the core gameplay, but what he's doing, according to his own post, is reproducing the original game on a new engine. Sounds like the same thing as BloodCM.
Didn't he do the same thing with his Turok and Powerslave EX?

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 19 July 2017 - 01:38 AM

User is offline   axl 

View Postfgsfds, on 18 July 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

The key word here is "recreation". There is nothing bad about modernizations that don't affect core gameplay, but what he's doing, according to his own post, is reproduces the original game on a new engine. Sounds like the same thing as BloodCM.

Yes, but, and do forgive me if I'm wrong here, isn't this the same with Powerslave EX and his other remakes?

"Powerslave EX is a project that aims to re-create the console versions of Powerslave using a custom engine built from the ground up"

And in the case of Powerslave (which I still have on the PSX), the recreation is extremely accurate.

This post has been edited by axl: 18 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

View Postaxl, on 18 July 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

Yes, but, and do forgive me if I'm wrong here, isn't this the same with Powerslave EX and his other remakes?

"Powerslave EX is a project that aims to re-create the console versions of Powerslave using a custom engine built from the ground up"

And in the case of Powerslave (which I still have on the PSX), the recreation is extremely accurate.

Yup, the original PSX Powerslave code appears to be lost, unfortunately.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Doom and Quake have tons of ports
Blood has several in development
Duke3D has two
Powerslave EX came out and then uncame out
Doom 64 has two main ones (Brutal and EX)
Fucking Tekwar has a port

Meanwhile I'm over here waiting for Outlaws to get some love

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   axl 

View PostHulkNukem, on 19 July 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Doom and Quake have tons of ports
Blood has several in development
Duke3D has two
Powerslave EX came out and then uncame out
Doom 64 has two main ones (Brutal and EX)
Fucking Tekwar has a port

Meanwhile I'm over here waiting for Outlaws to get some love

True. Outlaws was a great game with an even greater soundtrack !

User is offline   leilei 

Outlaws has had a HL mod to reproduce its multiplayer over a decade ago at least, and a very late Direct3D patch to keep 3d compatibility for going a bit longer.

This post has been edited by leilei: 19 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

User is offline   The Kins 

View Postfgsfds, on 18 July 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

The key word here is "recreation". There is nothing wrong about modernizations that don't affect the core gameplay, but what he's doing, according to his own post, is reproducing the original game on a new engine. Sounds like the same thing as BloodCM.
Didn't he do the same thing with his Turok and Powerslave EX?
Powerslave was recreated manually, yes.

With Turok 1 and 2 he had access to the source code to those games, in order to better figure out how certain things were done... but a number of gameplay and level design changes were made in the process, usually to make particularly painful parts of the original game fairer or more forgiving.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options