Duke4.net Forums: High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions

User is offline   fgsfds 

Posted Image

This will be the "official" thread to discuss and contribute to the BloodGDX HRP.
I salvaged some stuff from HRP for BloodCM that I and other people been working on years ago and made it compatible with BGDX. I only chose assets that met some quality standarts and had to scrap the rest.
Currently, I have some HUD elements and a dozen of textures, but all of them could be remade from scratch too.

Feel free to contribute any texture or model you want, but there are some rules for applying:

- High resolution textures should be at least 10 times bigger than the original ones. They should also include normal map. Specular/glow maps are optional.
- Keep the look of the textures and models as close to the original ones as possible. Don't just replace everything with some random wood/stone textures found on the internet.
- Textures should be "true" high resolution. Enlarging the low res one and slapping some filters and detail textures on them won't do in most cases. There might be some exceptions though.
- Do not alter the original style in any way. No need to slap naked girls on every surface, like in that other HRP.

User is online   Mark 

Are you setting up a place for the files or is it just attaching them to posts if we submit something. I made some content long ago for the Blood HRP. Is there a way I can see what was kept so I know the look you want. and don't want.

What texture format do you want?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postfgsfds, on 17 July 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

No need to slap naked girls on every surface, like in that other HRP.

:P

Here is my keycard if you want to use it.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__271952

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 17 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostMark., on 17 July 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

Are you setting up a place for the files or is it just attaching them to posts if we submit something.

For now, just attach them to your posts.

Is there a way I can see what was kept

Not much, and most of them are pretty meh anyway.
I also have fonts, skyboxes and a title screen.

What texture format do you want?

PNG

so I know the look you want. and don't want.

It's not clear what style will work the best. It's either realistic or more like something "hand drawn". Probably the latter.

View PostTea Monster, on 17 July 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

Here is my keycard if you want to use it.

But it's from SW.

Attached File(s)

User is online   Mark 

I must be getting forgetful in my old age. I don't remember any keycards and readers in Blood.

I see 16 of my 30 contributions in the pic you posted. But I know I could do better these days.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 July 2017 - 02:48 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostMark., on 17 July 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

I see 16 of my 30 contributions in the pic you posted. But I know I could do better these days.

Can you post all of them? I might not even had the rest in a first place.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 17 July 2017 - 03:03 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Sorry, I've been talking to Mark about SW for the last few days and had a brain-fart. Sorry.

User is online   Mark 

Here they are. I kept a copy of just the ones I made. Nothing special but limited by 4x original size and keep the look close to original.
https://www.dropbox....HUFmvIFa6a?dl=0

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 July 2017 - 03:13 AM

Posted Image

When doing HRP textures, you guys need to make sure your textures don't affect the composition of the scene. That scene, while hi-res, doesn't fit at all in Blood.

User is offline   fgsfds 

View Posticecoldduke, on 17 July 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

That scene, while hi-res, doesn't fit at all in Blood.

That's why even these textures should be remade. I just took them because they don't look as bad as the rest.

Here they are.

Yeah, seen them. The problem is that most of them don't even look like the original textures, and some should be made in 3D.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 17 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

In the current version the highres weapon/hands are just screenshots of models, we should use them when the user choose to switch on, If there will be an inmenu option, not-model mode? Obviosly this speech is valid only if you decide to make actual models for the firstperson, but consider that there is even some maps that uses hud elements as level texture like custom signs or other stuff so highres hud weapons images come handy.

The latest Blood HRP is on sourceforce anyway: https://sourceforge....cts/bloodcmhrp/

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 17 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostFantinaikos, on 17 July 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

The latest Blood HRP is on sourceforce anyway: https://sourceforge....cts/bloodcmhrp/

I'll never include anything from this HRP. I hope there is no need to explain why.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 17 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

View Postfgsfds, on 17 July 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

I'll never include anything from this HRP. I hope there is no need to explain why.

I have no idea the backstory behind what your taking about, but the textures in the bloodcm hrp look nice.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View Posticecoldduke, on 17 July 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

the textures in the bloodcm hrp look nice.

I don't understand. You say that the textures from the screenshot in the op post don't fit Blood, but then say that THIS looks nice.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 17 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

the rats MUST stay!

View Postfgsfds, on 17 July 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

I don't understand. You say that the textures from the screenshot in the op post don't fit Blood, but then say that THIS looks nice.
Posted Image

It's not just about the quality of the textures. It's about composition, and how the textures flow with the entire scene. Keep in mind, I only saw the video on the sourceforge page. There are probably areas in that pack that have shitty textures. But some of those textures work just fine.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

The main goal is to make HRP that looks as close of the original art style as possbile. Not making Blood Egyptian all of a sudden.
Posted Image

Believe me, I checked, and there's not a single texture that looks anything like its original counterpart.
Some of them might look good, but they are exactly what I meant by "some random wood/stone textures found on the internet". They look nothing like the original textures that we got used to, and it really hurts the overall art style.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 17 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

User is online   Mark 

You couldn't find a single one out of the 492 textures worth using?

I saw a lot of good looking tiles. But I suppose I would have to compare them side by side with the originals before making a final judgement.

View PostMark., on 17 July 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

You couldn't find a single one out of the 492 textures worth using?

I saw a lot of good looking tiles. But I suppose I would have to compare them side by side with the originals before making a final judgement.

I'm sure there is at least one in that pack that's worth using, but I agree seeing them side by side is the only way to pass final judgement.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

If one of the reasons is because some of the texture does not look like the original sprites, I agree. I'm not sure but in older versions there was even some that are more pertinent to the original resource and then inexplicably changed in the latest versions becoming dissimilar.

I personally like most of the textures in this video(there some that are terrible, and the textures seems to be mipping out too early).

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View Posticecoldduke, on 17 July 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

I personally like most of the textures in this video(there some that are terrible, and the textures seems to be mipping out too early).

I can agree that these textures look visually consistent (all of them are incredibly dark, oversaturated and with a lot of dirt and rust slapped on them), but they completely alter Blood's art style and look like thay belong in some other game.

View Postfgsfds, on 17 July 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

I can agree that these textures look visually consistent (all of them are incredibly dark, oversaturated and with a lot of dirt and rust slapped on them), but they completely alter Blood's art style and look like thay belong in some other game.

Then make them from scratch if you want, but please don't use the ones in the OP, those are more inconsistent with the original blood art style then bloodcm's hrp :P.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

User is offline   Devon 

Transfusion had some pretty cool although low poly hud weapons i think.

Might not look all that great but they felt nice when i played it years ago.

Is it worth porting them over and polish them up a bit?

User is offline   Devon 

View Posticecoldduke, on 17 July 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

It's not just about the quality of the textures. It's about composition, and how the textures flow with the entire scene. Keep in mind, I only saw the video on the sourceforge page. There are probably areas in that pack that have shitty textures. But some of those textures work just fine.

Thank god someone is taking this seriously!

Nothing hurts more than big retexture projects that takes tons of work and looks nothing like the original artwork.

I really hope there can be a pack that actually looks like the original.

Keeping my eyes on this, intresting stuff.

User is offline   axl 

I appreciate the work. But personally I think that Blood benefits more from the original low res textures. It gives the game a certain grittiness and rawness...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 17 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

- High resolution textures should be at least 10 times bigger than the original ones. They should also include normal map. Specular/glow maps are optional.

IMO a consistent 4x would be better.
Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

View Postfgsfds, on 17 July 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Both of these look like shit. I don't even have any constructive criticism to give.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're just a fuckin hater.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options