Duke4.net Forums: High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDevon, on 20 July 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

I just dont get it though... why isnt this kind of 3d model interpolation done yet on the hud weapon animation in eduke32?

The fact that the HRP works at all is a technical marvel. I agree that there is more work that could be done, but it's really complicated to create entirely new features that a project can then use. In 2017, HRP activity has more or less ceased. There are some other projects floating around of a similar nature but they seem content to either 1) work on their own without requesting new features or 2) talk behind the dev team's backs to get an entirely new renderer added to EDuke32 specifically tailored to their project.

User is offline   Devon 

View PostHendricks266, on 20 July 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

The fact that the HRP works at all is a technical marvel. I agree that there is more work that could be done, but it's really complicated to create entirely new features that a project can then use. In 2017, HRP activity has more or less ceased. There are some other projects floating around of a similar nature but they seem content to either 1) work on their own without requesting new features or 2) talk behind the dev team's backs to get an entirely new renderer added to EDuke32 specifically tailored to their project.

Thanks for the reply.
Again i would never mean any disrespect.
As you said it really is a marvel what has been achived since the duke source code was released.

One more question if you dont mind?
Is this a feature that a programmer has to implement to the engine or is it something a model maker can fix with added frames or something?

• Weaponized Autism

Gettings models to display at all in the HUD is a huge hack. Roma Loom made a model of the first person SW rocket launcher years ago, but it could never get added to the SWHRP because SW does a lot of stuff with overlaying "patches" on the sprites that make it impossible to define models with our current 1 tile = 1 model system. Maybe interpolation could be hacked in as well, but there really needs to be a more flexible way of programming how HUD models work.

View PostHendricks266, on 21 July 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

SW does a lot of stuff with overlaying "patches" on the sprites that make it impossible to define models with our current 1 tile = 1 model system.

The UI system for Shadow Warrior is going to need a heavy rewrite :/.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 21 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

• Weaponized Autism

No, it doesn't.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I've been doing my own upscaling of the game's sprites. Here is a side by side comparison of my upscale along with the original game's sprite and the model that it's based on.

Posted Image

and here is a short clip of the upscaled sprite in game

https://gfycat.com/M...dGreathornedowl

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 14 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   max_nukem 

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 August 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

I've been doing my own upscaling of the game's sprites. Here is a side by side comparison of my upscale along with the original game's sprite and the model that it's based on.

Nice work! Just continue to do that!

• Weaponized Autism

"Your upscale"

HQ2X sucks and does not work on games like Doom, Duke, and Blood.

I wish. running the art data through HQ2X would be a hundred times easier than what I'm currently doing.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I like that noise filter. Keeps the art gritty instead of the too smooth image you get from a regular upscale filter.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHendricks266, on 14 August 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

xBRZ looks pretty nice on Blood, there is a version of DOSBox with xBRZ you can check it out with:
https://sourceforge....z/files/DOSBox/

As for Doom, I agree.

• Weaponized Autism

Whatever you're doing, it will never look good without effectively repainting the entire sprite, OR using PhD-level neural network analysis to guess at what a higher res version of the sprite would look like. Look at how every contour has unusual patterns resulting from pixel boundaries being treated as hard angles.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHendricks266, on 14 August 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Whatever you're doing, it will never look good without effectively repainting the entire sprite, OR using PhD-level neural network analysis to guess at what a higher res version of the sprite would look like. Look at how every contour has unusual patterns resulting from pixel boundaries being treated as hard angles.

Yeah, I see that but you know: if someone has a lot of patience and free time then the sprites could be edited in a way that solves that problem. :thumbsup:

• Weaponized Autism

I said as much. You would need to make manual edits to every pixel.

This is an improvement. I think it's a step in the right direction and I encourage you to continue. I'd like to see a public release with more sprites!

User is offline   Devon 

What is the difference between this upscale and simply including an upscale filter feature in the engine itself?

If only we had access to all the original model photos before they were compressed.

Would look awsome with all those high res 2d monsters.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 14 August 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I've just starting using ANN's in my PhD Posted Image

Spoiler

It is run through a neural network image scaler (waifu2x), too slow to run directly in the engine. Following this I create a mask around the edges of the sprite (necessary because the upscaling interferes with the transparency of the sprite) and apply a slight noise filter

• Weaponized Autism

I don't think waifu2x was designed to be used on this kind of artwork. The result is too stripe-y. Also, the outline mask you're applying is severely harming the result.

For my n00b eyes, it looks good.

User is offline   Killes 

@Phredreeke excellent work!
Kudos if you have found a good consistent workflow to convert and rework these sprites in that fashion! nevermind the technique / scaler or whatever used, who cares, result is good IMO!

I find the result very good for the reason that it preserves the original "feel" of the Blood monsters / art direction.

I can elaborate : what works about Blood's monsters is they look very much like the monsters we see in the old school horror stop motion FX scenes (think evil dead stop motion scenes ets) and duh no wonder: they were themselves created exactly in the very same way they are created for such movies - stop motion puppets. They totally belong to the world they are referencing!

Phredreeke's approach here keeps that look very well when we compare to the original sculptue by Kevin Kilstrom (http://kevinkilstrom...-and-masks.html)

And for that reason it fits in seamlessly into Blood even though it is the only "high res" sprite / texture in the gif he posted!

Awesome! more please!!! :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Killes: 16 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

User is online   Tekedon 

Posted Image

https://gfycat.com/M...dGreathornedowl

A noticeable diffecrence :thumbsup: Have you tried to do the same for weapons?

• Weaponized Autism

You guys have really low standards for artwork.

View PostTekedon, on 16 August 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

A noticeable diffecrence :thumbsup: Have you tried to do the same for weapons?

Posted Image

(not superhappy with how they turned out TBH)

• Weaponized Autism

Those are looking interesting. A bit grainy, even for Blood. I would still recommend refining the method you use for the edge mask. Perhaps set a transparency threshold amount that best reproduces the original outlines without overfitting to the pixel grid.

User is offline   Killes 

Better have a bit too much grain that too little IMO for Blood.
This is all perfectionism, we can dwell forever in that.
It would already be great to have these as is, its better than anything else and god damn sight far better than the first horrors posted in this thread ;-D

Yeah, I'm looking into improving the edge mask.

For comparison, here's a frame without the grain effect applied.

Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKilles, on 16 August 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

This is all perfectionism, we can dwell forever in that.
It would already be great to have these as is, its better than anything else and god damn sight far better than the first horrors posted in this thread ;-D

I strongly dislike the kind of person who discourages negative feedback because anything and everything is "good enough".

User is offline   Killes 

View PostHendricks266, on 16 August 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

I strongly dislike the kind of person who discourages negative feedback because anything and everything is "good enough".

I am all for constructive feedback, everyone doing their best etc, sure.
Working together, constructive feedback, its the best stuff.

The problem with you I have is stuff like this: your response to this guys sharing his good (but not perfect) work:

View PostHendricks266, on 14 August 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

"Your upscale"

I'm sorry if I misinterpret this but it really feels like an impulsive emotional response - he posts a first look at his work for feedback and BAM! you dump a quick unconstructive piss on it right off the bat ?? You say something a bit more constructive after (sort of) but what is the point of that first response ???

What comes after is a bit more constructive but still, what the hell is that first response supposed to do other than belittle/antagonize ?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKilles, on 16 August 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

What comes after is a bit more constructive but still, what the hell is that first response supposed to do other than belittle/antagonize ?

That initial image he posted is worthy of only this.

"Hey guys! I ran the sprites through a filter and they're better now!" is always wrong.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options