Duke4.net Forums: High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions

User is offline   JOHN007 

Hello,

The new upscaled textures look absolutely fantastic, the best we have ever seen, we wanted to update BloodGDX but going to leave it for now.

We'll wait patiently for the new update, literally cannot wait for the new upscaled textures, world class work as always.

Thanks again.

User is online   Phredreeke 

I'd like to clarify that the latest version of the upscale pack is the one available here https://forums.duke4...post__p__318470

Hello and thankyou for the reply.

Haven't you updated the textures even more with the previous post? Someone requested the world textures be updated and you provided a link to your new textures, may I ask is the update the same as the link?

Quote 'I've been working on a new upscale pack. Here's a comparison of a sprite from both R07 and the new upscale.'

There's a picture of 3 comparisons of sprite renders, the 3rd one looks amazing.

Thanks again.

There's a WIP background upscale pack further down that topic. Though I don't really recommend using that (because it makes things look inconsistent because it's incomplete, as well as that you right now can't use palette emulation with high res textures)

The 3rd phantasm is used in the Blood Upscale Pack in the topic I linked to above. I believe the mask is slightly different but I can be mistaken.

I should probably set up some kinda website for them rather than just spreading them around through forums. Oh well...

User is offline   J432 

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 May 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

I should probably set up some kinda website for them rather than just spreading them around through forums. Oh well...

That would be great. <_<

Hello and thankyou for the reply.

Could I recommend ModDb.com? Its a brilliant modding platform where you could easily update the mod, searching through the forum with many other files makes it quite confusing indeed.

It would be fantastic if you could kindly upload the new update with the new upscaled sprites and world textures onto ModDb.

Literally the best upscaled textures I have ever seen for Blood, they look world class, just when I thought you couldn't do better, the 3rd comparison is brilliant.

Thanks again.

Yeah... I just noticed I already have a moddb account, must be from back when they were part of Desura... I'll upload Blood Upscale Pack there whenever I make my next release

(also world textures are beta, may or may not show up in next release)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 16 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

ModDB will also give you a central platform for news and screenies, it will also allow you to track your downloads, which can be nice to see.

User is offline   J432 

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 May 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Yeah... I just noticed I already have a moddb account, must be from back when they were part of Desura... I'll upload Blood Upscale Pack there whenever I make my next release

Good idea, looking forward to it.

User is offline   skitey 

@ Phredreeke
could you resize the default plasmapack title screen for me with this esrgam stuff? with waifu2x it looks just ugly and it seems i'm too stupid to use it right

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by skitey: 17 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

Here it is upscaled with no post-processing.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   skitey 

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 May 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Here it is upscaled with no post-processing.

thx

User is offline   86232and 

Hello!
I try HRP from BloodCM, this is an adaptation for BloodGDX. Here is the link:
https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9420-high-resoultion-pack-discussion-and-contributions/ page__view__findpost__p__292961My link

There are problems with some textures - the most obvious one on the E1M1 map (entrance to the "morgue"). The tree has the wrong look in BloodGDX, but in BloodCM this tree is fine:

Posted Image Posted Image

In the file props.def to the tree model there is a description:

model "highres/sprites/props/5662_tree.md3" {
   scale 63.0 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/5662_tree_d.png" }
   normal { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/5662_tree_n.jpg" }
   specular { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/5662_tree_s.jpg" }
   frame { name "frame0" tile 542 }
}

If I reduce "scale 63.0" - the total tree height changes, the deformation remains... :D
Maybe I can change something?

User is offline   m210® 

View Post86232and, on 20 June 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Maybe I can change something?

I don't think that you can something. Seems, something wrong in UV coordinates, it's renderer issue

User is offline   86232and 

View Postm210®, on 29 June 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

I don't think that you can something. Seems, something wrong in UV coordinates, it's renderer issue

Thanks for the answer!
No problem - I can simply block the use of the model and return to the sprite :D .

User is offline   Xross 

Xross here, it looks like the link to my version has been disintegrated overtime.
I will reupload my HD HUD version in the permanent link soon.

User is offline   Xross 

Here is the link: https://www.moddb.co...upscale-redraws

At the moment I haven't figured out how to implement this into Blood Fresh Supply yet!
If anyone can guide me on how to do it, feel free to communicate. I am pretty sure it's similar to BloodGDX.

Also, Phredreeke you may include this full content into your upscale pack as a complimentary. (I do have some of font he has created included in the mod but you may modify my files as well.)

Let me know if any problems with this mod.

This post has been edited by Xross: 18 July 2019 - 11:59 AM

NightDive said they were going to release modding documentation.

If you know Angelscript you may be able to find the code for the UI in the Blood.kpf file (it can be opened like a regular zip file) assuming it's not hardcoded.

From what I can tell, Fresh Supply does not have the hightile functionality of BloodGDX and NBlood. When I made my Fresh Supply compatible upscale pack, I had to resort to replacing textures in the original ART files and hacking the SEQs to draw them at half size.

User is offline   Necrobitz 

Hi all, some questions, I'm a newbie in modding blood and I'm just learning.

I started to make a pack of textures for blood, respecting the originals as much as possible but with greater resolution.

I started because my first idea was to do a "compilation" of everything that was in high resolution for blood (upscaled sprites [phredreeke] HD-HUD [Xross] Skyboxes, Voxels, or the "Blood HRP / CM" that there are things that can be saved) at the end I went into an incredible mess of zips, folders, jpgs, pngs and def files ...

I'm trying to bring order to all this chaos.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This is the progress in a week of work at a few moments, really what took me less time was to make the images, what took more time was to understand how the def files worked, how ART files were organized,
and I still do not know what many of the little sprites in the ART files are. They are too small to understand what they are...

All this turns out that I encounter several problems.

1.- Anyone know how to get to working fullscreen tiles (for example 2046 Blood tittle or the menu F1 help screen) in 16:9 aspect ratio?
i make some new tiles (1280x800) but when enter in game it gets stretched.
I've find that there is a .art file inside Buildgdx.jar, and there is the 9223 tile that makes the load screen to fine 16:9 resulution, but I don't find a workaround for the other fullscreen tiles.

2- phredreeke, why are so many variations of pal needed in the upscaled files? I'm assuming that the buildgdx engine is not able to recolor the textures and that's why you're making a version of each palette, am I right?
Which brings me to the question, where did you find that information about the palettes?

3- Normal maps and spec maps work on buildgdx? because I prepared some for the textures but I do not see that they apply in game.

4.- I wonder how people make high-resolution version of tiles for the Duke3d-HRP, does anyone know a tutorial or video on YouTube where the method is seen?

for today are enough questions, thanks for reading.
My most sincere congratulations to m210®, Phredreeke, Xross and others who have done such a good job.

Greetings and sorry for my English!

The risk of such a compilation is a mish mash of clashing styles.

2- phredreeke, why are so many variations of pal needed in the upscaled files? I'm assuming that the buildgdx engine is not able to recolor the textures and that's why you're making a version of each palette, am I right?
Which brings me to the question, where did you find that information about the palettes?

Yes, it's a feature I've requested to both M210 and NukeYKT.

Fox extracted the palettes from Duke3D (and by extension Redneck Rampage, Nam and WWII GI), SW and Blood here: https://forums.duke4...__1#entry290498

Early one I tackled palswaps by simply palswapping each sprite before upscaling but I am currently attempting to make my upscales compatible with the palette swaps of the original game (this of course means only using the 256 colors of the original game's palette) - in my most recent upscale pack the cultists and spiders are all derived from one base palette upscale which then have respective palswap applied.

3- Normal maps and spec maps work on buildgdx? because I prepared some for the textures but I do not see that they apply in game.

No, they are Polymer-only features - maybe they will work on M210's next renderer though.

User is offline   Xross 

IMO there are literally hundreds of targa files in each .art files uniting all the def lines into one def will be extremely painful to write.
Also if you like to make a compilation of mods, expect any conflicts between each mod you are including within all def files.
Some packs will be using same tile names, hence undesired tile will show up over a mod you would want to see.

View PostNecrobitz, on 20 July 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

1.- Anyone know how to get to working fullscreen tiles (for example 2046 Blood tittle or the menu F1 help screen) in 16:9 aspect ratio?
i make some new tiles (1280x800) but when enter in game it gets stretched.
I've find that there is a .art file inside Buildgdx.jar, and there is the 9223 tile that makes the load screen to fine 16:9 resulution, but I don't find a workaround for the other fullscreen tiles.

I think I know what you are talking about. I believe Blood Title is already upscaled by Phredreeke.
Some screen splashes like Help screen that shows all the keys or the credit screens are actually in my do-list which I will do when I have spare time to do so.

This post has been edited by Xross: 20 July 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hi Phredreeke & Xross, thanks for the answers!

Phredreeke, what you are doing is a huge lot of work, I was reading the post on the palettes, but I do not understand how they work, I will have to investigate more.
I remember that in build (with mapster32) they were changed with ALT + P, even for user tiles, hopefully m210 will integrate it soon in the port, as well as the implementation of image maps.

Xross, I thought of a method to avoid duplicating content and be able to search for the best ones, and thus do the ones I do not find appropriate.
The method was to extract all the png from all the art files in an orderly manner and with their real numbering.
Then separate them into groups according to what each one is. this is: textures, decoration, hud, sources, actors, etc ...
At that time replace and remove from the folder of the originals the tiles that are already ok, meanwhile I'm writing my own .def on the fly.

on the textures 2046, 2570 and 2571, I made my own version better than rescaling the originals, I gave them some touches to update them a bit, the yellow color of the help text seemed horrible for example.

these are the versions:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

But unfortunately when on Blood, they are squashed horizontally to the 4: 3 format, it goes to 1440x1080 and this is the problem. :dukecigar:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Many years ago I made maps and mods for Duke and Quake, when Blood came out I tried it and it seemed like a second row game, but as a result of discovering the wonderful port of m210 and retesting the game, all this changed, I think it is the best game that was made with the engine build, and that's why I want to spend time to "improve" it and leave it to my liking.

The palette stuff is very complicated and Blood makes more extensive use of it than most games on the engine (and due to how the palette is laid out it is easy to break palswaps when palettising an edited sprite)

A hi-res texture will be the same size on screen as the texture it replaces. I don't know about the title screen but the help screen is animated using QAVs so maybe someone could help you with that.

I can see about processing some of the Blood assets and providing it in raw upscaled form as a resource for further work (titlescreen, help screen background, credits background...)

Ok, try to reach a compromise solution:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Are the images seen?

I fixed the images from 1280x720 to 1280x1024 to give them the aspect ratio of 4: 3, so they do not distort anymore.

what m210 did with the .art that are included in the buildgdx (BloodGDX.ART) is to link the tile 2049 (load screen) to the texture 9223 or 9222
depending on the resolution that buildGDX is working on, if it knew how to do that change to link tiles that are full screen would be all easy, but
I do not know what file is the link of these tiles.

On the other hand, I'm working on the tile textures right now, I hope they look good.

By the way, who did this? --------> My link They were really good to use as a basis for redrawing.

Phredreeke, thank you, all the material that you can contribute is great, I think we could really start doing a blood-HRP in serious, taking
as a reference the bases that in the first post indicated fgsfds, but neither to the letter, would have to discuss several things, for example:

- I do not think that it is necessary to go to 10X the resolution of the original textures, with taking them to 4X I think that is enough.

- very agree with sticking to the originals as much as possible, shapes, palette ...

- Maybe the PNG format is not necessary, they are very heavy and take longer to load, with jpg (which I already verified that buildGDX supports
perfectly) are lighter, load faster and weigh less. If they are encoded in good quality, the difference is not noticeable and the resulting file will be
much more measured in size.

I believe those texture upscales are mine.

Edit: Here's a set of upscales of four different background tiles (titlescreen, level loading/score screen, help background and credits background) processed in three different ways
http://s000.tinyuplo...864917975220802

Hope you'll find these useful (they are at 4x original size and have not been aspect ratio corrected)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 22 July 2019 - 05:18 AM

Great stuff Phredreeke! thanks!!!!
Iwill use it right now!

It is to go crazy, depending on each image one method or another works best:
2046 titlescreen : mangiant
2049 level loading/score screen: mangiant
2051 help background : dedither-mangaint
2574 credits background : dedither-box

by the way, 2051 tile is not the background of the help, the help are the 2570 and 2571 they have the letters integrated in the image and a bevel effect.

I think the tile 2051 was the background for tiles 2572-2592-2593 that tell you to buy the full version of the game, so they should only be indexed in
the shareware version.

I am preparing an initial pack with the textures of the E1M1 to see how it is, when it is finished I share the zip.

Of course there is no version with different color palettes, I still do not know how to do that and nevertheless I will leave it for the end (if it is that I finish ...)
waiting for m210 to implement the change of palettes in buildgdx.

reason for 2051 and not 2570-2571 is so you can add your own text for it :dukecigar: also, reason for including multiple different upscales is so you can pick the best parts out of each one - for example I think the level loading/score screen's background looks better in the dedithered upscales, while the foreground looks better without dedithering.

View PostPhredreeke, on 22 July 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

reason for 2051 and not 2570-2571 is so you can add your own text for it :dukecigar: also, reason for including multiple different upscales is so you can pick the best parts out of each one - for example I think the level loading/score screen's background looks better in the dedithered upscales, while the foreground looks better without dedithering.

I understand, yeah, it's a good method.

this afternoon I was working on a few tiles, here is the link:
Blood HRP Candidates

I will upload what I'm doing to this album.
almost all are more or less finished, there are a couple of them that are unfinished.

Some screenshots during the game
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Opinions?

This post has been edited by Necrobitz: 22 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

Ran two models on this, first a dedithering model, then the box scaling model. Thought it came out well

Posted Image

:dukecigar: Wow!!! it looks great!!!

You still using Esgran?

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options