Duke4.net Forums: 60hz display buttersmooth solution. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

60hz display buttersmooth solution.  "60fps vsync slow? this might be the fix you need."

User is offline   Devon 

I never could get the game to run smooth without screen tearing.

I uncapped the framerate turned off all kinds of vsync and then installed game companion.

Now i run the game in windowed fullscreen without tearing and it is increadibly more smoother than the default way.

Im playing on a big 65inch tv that is limited to 60hz.

Anyway i thought id share cause it runs like a dream once i used game companion 2.4.

View PostDevon, on 14 July 2017 - 12:27 AM, said:

If you turned on vsync and are still having problems, I would check your drivers. Its doubtful M210 has a error in his code, since enabling vsync is one function call.

User is offline   Devon 

View Posticecoldduke, on 14 July 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

If you turned on vsync and are still having problems, I would check your drivers. Its doubtful M210 has a error in his code, since enabling vsync is one function call.

No i dont think there is anything wrong with the code.

Im on a clean install using DDU from guru3d.

Anyway i think it has something to do with the interpolotion not working good with vsync turn on.

First tried with fullscreen with vsync and it was not smooth enough to me.
Then the first thing that comes to mind i ofcourse windowed mode but that didnt change the performance alot, if at all... i havent done any research on comparing the two exept trying them out.

Ok vsync on and i get a little stutter here and there... dont want that.. hmm i guess i turn vsync off then. Yes! now the game runs smooth, but i got tearing.

I only stumbled upon game companion by chance as they wanted money for borderless gaming program for latest version.

Anyway i dont really know the technical aspects of all this but what i do know is that when i run Bloodgdx in windowed with game companion i get no stutter and for some reason wich i cant understand the tearing is 100% gone.

Why do game companion get rid of the tearing?
i mean i got like 500-2000fps and no tearing at all with it running in the background.

This was just an eye opener to me as i normally am stuck with vsync or some kind of framecap due to the 60hz limitation,

Best regards! =)

User is offline   fgsfds 

AFAIK, when you play in windowed or borderless, vsync is handled by Windows's own DWM, and for me, personally, it was always somehow smoother than Nvidia's vsync or fast sync.

View PostDevon, on 14 July 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

VSync is handled by the driver. The driver waits for vblank, which is a signal from your monitor saying its on the last scanline(last row of pixels), or its done rendering all together.

View Postfgsfds, on 14 July 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

AFAIK, when you play in windowed or borderless, vsync is handled by Windows's own DWM, and for me, personally, it was always somehow smoother than Nvidia's vsync or fast sync.

Then this sounds like a driver issue to me.

There does exist a possibility you guys have shitty monitors :P.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 14 July 2017 - 06:34 AM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Windows Aero is getting rid of the screen tearing when you are in windowed mode. Same thing happens with Youtube and 60Hz for example.

I would like to check out Game Companion but I can't find out which Process name to use. Can you help me out?

User is offline   Devon 

View PostSonicB00M, on 14 July 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Windows Aero is getting rid of the screen tearing when you are in windowed mode. Same thing happens with Youtube and 60Hz for example.

I would like to check out Game Companion but I can't find out which Process name to use. Can you help me out?

I feel like a total fool now..
i did now know that windows aero takes away the tearing.... this was not present on older windows versions prior to win7 right?

here is a link to game companion
http://www.nexusmods...as/mods/42956/?

This post has been edited by Devon: 14 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostDevon, on 14 July 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

I feel like a total fool now..
i did now know that windows aero takes away the tearing.... this was not present on older windows versions prior to win7 right?

That's because Aero has nothing to do with screen tearing : ).

User is offline   Devon 

View Posticecoldduke, on 14 July 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Please tell me how it works ? =)

View PostDevon, on 14 July 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Please tell me how it works ? =)

As I mentioned before the driver is supposed to stall for vblank before processing the next frame(see my post above for a more detailed explanation). As I mentioned before, what your experiencing is not normal and sounds like a driver problem.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 14 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Remember that TVs run at 59.94Hz (NTSC rate) instead of 60Hz, if you see a very slowly drifting tear that goes from up -> down, roughly taking 7+ seconds to do this then it's due to this freq difference.
Many people think that TVs normally show 60Hz but they don't. Windows shows this as 59Hz in settings..
However, displays might do 60Hz as well just fine. It's that this difference can be challenging to spot and applications might change the screenmodes around without you knowing.

This freq difference also can affect vsync with improper settings.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 14 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

View Posticecoldduke, on 14 July 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Have you tried playing something in windowed mode (on a TV, not a monitor) with Aero disabled and enabled and vsync turned off? The results are pretty clear, independent of driver version or application/game. Trust me, Windows Aero uses some form of vsync on almost anything not running in true fullscreen.

User is online   Mark 

Here is just one of multiple sites brought up by a google search on Aero and screen tearing/vsync.
https://superuser.co...-screen-tearing

Speaking of adaptive vsync, M210 make sure your doing it https://www.khronos..../Swap_Interval. To SwapInterval you pass -1 or -2 to it rather then a positive number.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 15 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

User is offline   m210® 

The link said "no text no the page" Anyway I never made vsync feature...it's a feature of libgdx/lwjgl

User is offline   Devon 

View Postoasiz, on 14 July 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Remember that TVs run at 59.94Hz (NTSC rate) instead of 60Hz, if you see a very slowly drifting tear that goes from up -> down, roughly taking 7+ seconds to do this then it's due to this freq difference.
Many people think that TVs normally show 60Hz but they don't. Windows shows this as 59Hz in settings..
However, displays might do 60Hz as well just fine. It's that this difference can be challenging to spot and applications might change the screenmodes around without you knowing.

This freq difference also can affect vsync with improper settings.

Right now latest build of windows 10 it runs at both 59 and 60hz.
In windows 7 i remember i used to force the driver to use 60hz instead of 59 cause it caused issues in some games, mainly stuttering.

If my fps in bloodgdx is anywhere from 500-3000 but if it drops under 150 it stutters... in the first level on the first episode when you get to the graveyard it goes down from 700-1k to around 135-150 and then it stutters... i removed the voxels.def and it went up to around 800.

Still why does 135-150fps stutter in windowed mode on a 60hz screen? seems strange.

View PostM210, on 15 July 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

The link said "no text no the page" Anyway I never made vsync feature...it's a feature of libgdx/lwjgl

https://www.khronos....i/Swap_Interval -- forum software took my period and put it in the URL :P.

User is offline   Devon 

View Posticecoldduke, on 15 July 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

Speaking of adaptive vsync, M210 make sure your doing it https://www.khronos..../Swap_Interval. To SwapInterval you pass -1 or -2 to it rather then a positive number.

Swap interwal has saved me many times, great stuff to have.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options