Duke4.net Forums: BIRTH OF A NEW DUKE SITE - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BIRTH OF A NEW DUKE SITE  "DUKEMAPS.NET"

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#1

Hi Duke Fans!

I just wanted to let you ALL know I am now hosting Duke related content over at my new website. WWW.DUKEMAPS.NET Time to update your bookmarks =) Come and check out the site and let me know what you think? Bare with me as the website is a work in progress but improvements are in the works. I've only been live for just under a month.
-Paul


This post has been edited by Paul B: 09 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

18

User is offline   BoowHow 

  • 52

#2

Looks nice. I will definitely bookmark it. Posted Image

ERROR404: Signature not Found.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 3,945

#3

It looks nice. Good job! I like how the map listing is sortable. I could see this site being a useful resource if you had more fields to sort by and a comprehensive map list.

Since the site is "DUKEMAPS.NET", I suggest organizing the content to reflect the title better. I would make "MAPS" it's own tab, instead of burying the option to download a map under the site content menu (currently you have to go SITE CONTENT/USERMAPS/DOWNLOAD MAPS.

"Custom CONS" does not need to be a separate site content selection -- you could put those under "Eduke32 mods" or "Duke 3D mods" if there are any you want to host. Under "EDuke32 mods" you have "Blown Fuses" and "Dukecide" entries. This doesn't make much sense. Those are both maps, and they are both included with (and require DukePlus). It would make more sense to have them listed in your map section.

I think you should add another map sorting field: "Requires". What goes in this field should be a link to anything external needed to run the map. For example, if the map uses TROR or Polymer lights, then it requires EDuke32 and the requires field should be a link to the EDuke32 site. If the map requires a specific mod, thenthe link should go to the mod's home page. If the map runs in DOS Duke and has no special requirements, then leave the field blank or enter "none". I think it would be also be useful to be able to sort by whether a map includes custom content (art or sounds or code). Note that this is a separate question from whether it has an external requirement -- plenty of old maps include custom art but would run just fine on DOS Duke.

Your goal should be, make something better than this: http://dnr.duke4.net/maps.php.html
Since that hasn't been updated in years and probably won't be updated ever again, that should be doable.
2

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#4

View PostTrooper Dan, on 09 July 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Since the site is "DUKEMAPS.NET", I suggest organizing the content to reflect the title better. I would make "MAPS" it's own tab, instead of burying the option to download a map under the site content menu (currently you have to go SITE CONTENT/USERMAPS/DOWNLOAD MAPS.


I will look into this.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 09 July 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

"Custom CONS" does not need to be a separate site content selection -- you could put those under "Eduke32 mods" or "Duke 3D mods" if there are any you want to host. Under "EDuke32 mods" you have "Blown Fuses" and "Dukecide" entries. This doesn't make much sense. Those are both maps, and they are both included with (and require DukePlus). It would make more sense to have them listed in your map section.


At the time of laying out the site I really wasn't too sure how to structure the layout. I appreciate the advice and I'll try and adjust as per your recommendation. I thought about separating vanilla maps from maps that contain CON by placing maps with required CON files in their own table since they mod the game. But perhaps I can organize my Maps table to better reflect the types of map they are.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 09 July 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

I think you should add another map sorting field: "Requires". What goes in this field should be a link to anything external needed to run the map. For example, if the map uses TROR or Polymer lights, then it requires EDuke32 and the requires field should be a link to the EDuke32 site. If the map requires a specific mod, then the link should go to the mod's home page. If the map runs in DOS Duke and has no special requirements, then leave the field blank or enter "none".


I totally agree! I have organized this that way on the back end but not on the front end. It makes more sense having this visible for the guests as well. I will definitely implement this as it was what I wanted to do but forgot about.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 09 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

1

User is offline   Sanek 

  • 689

#5

Good job! It's a smart move to summarize the map in just a few sentences! I also like the layout of the map, it looks professional enough, and we only have to wait a little when this site becomes another popular spot for dukers! Keep it up! B)
0

User is offline   Merlijn 

  • 531

#6

Certainly looks nice! Well done :)

Very nice lay-out, I also like how it includes the information from the txt-file (at least maybe then some people will read them :D)
0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#7

Thanks for all your valuable feedback! I can now focus my attention to adding more awesome content now that I'm finished tidying up the loose ends.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 20 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

3

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#8

Is anyone interested in doing map reviews for the Dukemaps.net website? If you know someone, please contact me. I think I will be overwhelmed with the volume of maps that need to be published and I will not be able to review and rate all these maps in a timely fashion. (There are a lot more then I thought).

Who I am looking for: The applicant must be well versed in the English language, honest and thorough to:

1) Play the map.
2) Highlight the maps excellent features in point form without spoilers.
3) List any problems that might hinder the maps score.
4) Rate the map based on the following five categories:
- Architecture
- Details
- Texturing / Shading
- Atmosphere
- Game play
5) Add a 1-5 Star Rating System to maps post, which will be displayed on the sidebar of the website.

I will draft up an easy to use tutorial on the process of how to do the above following 5 steps. There is no web programming knowledge required.

For the time being, it will be my responsibility to upload maps, add author information, pictures, downloads, tags, descriptions & make the associated links for the site. During the rating process, should you happen to notice any conflicting information with the already published content I would appreciate being informed so I can make the necessary adjustments?

Thanks for your consideration.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 01 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#9

Well it's been a crazy busy summer trying to get this site populated with as much quality material as I can get my hands on. So now i'd like to ask the community does anyone have a favorite good quality Duke Map/ Mod or TC that they would like to see on the site that I haven't already added? Let me know! I've just reached over 420 downloads and I'm slowing down on good material. Of course I haven't gotten around to adding some of my maps as I've been having too much fun revisiting some of these older maps and fantastic TC's i've totally missed out on.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 21 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

0

User is offline   pacman 

  • 14

#10

I ordered the maps in descending order by its release date and the latest map I get is "Alejandro Glavic Adg06". Im pretty sure this is not the latest map released. It would be cool if the site would order the maps by day and not only by year so you really know what the latest released map is, but maybe that's too much work.

Whenever I want to play some Duke I go to this site: http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php an order in "review date" to get the latest maps.

Oh and just saw Sharky Grounds 2 was released, gotta play that one, the first map was awesome.

This post has been edited by pacman: 18 December 2017 - 06:03 AM

1

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#11

View Postpacman, on 18 December 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

I ordered the maps in descending order by its release date and the latest map I get is "Alejandro Glavic Adg06". Im pretty sure this is not the latest map released. It would be cool if the site would order the maps by day and not only by year so you really know what the latest released map is, but maybe that's too much work.

Whenever I want to play some Duke I go to this site: http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php an order in "review date" to get the latest maps.

Oh and just saw Sharky Grounds 2 was released, gotta play that one, the first map was awesome.


I'll look into it pacman. Thanks.

Updated: The code has been added for the column. I just need to enter the Day and the Month values for each row. I'll try and work on this in the near future. A project for the holidays =) Some columns such as the rating don't work properly until there are numbers in each row. I will need help with the rating process as it takes time and there are too many to go through for one person.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 December 2017 - 07:44 AM

0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#12

The site has been updated and now all 463 user maps can be sorted by date in the format DD/MM/YEAR


This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

1

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options