Duke4.net Forums: Best fan episodes? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best fan episodes?  "What is the best content out there for blood?"

User is offline   Tiddalick 

View PostTekedon, on 31 October 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Allthough found a bug, not sure if this is also in vanilla, played in GDX. But when exiting e1m7 and you're supposed to enter the last map of episode 1 you are sent to the beginning of e1m7 again.

Unlikely this would be a GDX error. I would post this as a comment on the moddb page
http://www.moddb.com...-blood-released

User is offline   m210® 

View PostTiddalick, on 31 October 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Unlikely this would be a GDX error. I would post this as a comment on the moddb page
http://www.moddb.com...-blood-released

What version are you using? It's not need to write it on moddb, because BloodGDX haven't problems to ending of e1m7

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostM210, on 31 October 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

What version are you using? It's not need to write it on moddb, because BloodGDX haven't problems to ending of e1m7

Using the latest version 0.779. Checked it in dosbox and the bug is not present in dosbox.

User is offline   Tiddalick 

Might be useful to redownload Death Wish. I noticed that since v1.4 was released, the author seems to have updated several files.
I downloaded Death_Wish_1.4.6.zip
I checked again a few hours ago and it was Death_Wish_1.4.9.zip

As of this second, the version is now Death_Wish_1.4.10.zip

You might be comparing different versions?

User is offline   m210® 

Yes, maybe. If so, can you upload your version of DW somewhere?
I tested 1.4.9 and .10

This post has been edited by M210: 01 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostM210, on 01 November 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yes, maybe. If so, can you upload your version of DW somewhere?
I tested 1.4.9 and .10

Sure, this happened in 1.4.7 which I have. https://ufile.io/eylue

User is offline   Mariusz 

Hello
Thank you for a wonderful modification, Death Wish.

Today I played again in DW, and in the map e1m3 something did not fit me.
So I ran DW under Dosbox.
I noticed this:

The Bloodgdx is better
I think the original Blood under Dosbox could not hide certain walls.

Regards

Attached File(s)

I'm trying out Legends of the Iconoclast. The best thing about the mod is the level design, aside from there being waaaayyyyyy too many Delirium Shrooms and buried zombies. And there's not too many of them to a degree where it's too hard but it just becomes tedious.

The mod swaps out the sounds for the weapons (which is alright), the enemies (which is okay, definitely not better than the original but not horrible), and -for whatever bizarre reason- Caleb's voice.

Replacing Stephen Weyte's voice is fucking blasphemous. It's like shitting on the Mona Lisa.

Aside from that it isn't too bad even though I've only completed the first two levels. But because of the lack of Stephen's voice the whole thing has a bootleg quality to it. It reminds me of those Russian guys that stole the assets of Blood and made a new FPS exclusively for the Dreamcast. It never came out but there was footage of the gameplay and it was as jank as you could imagine.

I found it! The game was called Hypertension:

Legends of the Iconoclast reminds me of this.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 06 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am also playing Iconoclast right now. Level design is good, but I simply cannot talk myself into reading all those super-long readmes that explain the story between levels. IMHO any story should be explained ingame and not require you to read external files and interrupt gameplay. The shrooms in the forest are definitely used far too excessively. Walk off the main path just slightly and you'll get shroomed for sure, and it's annoying when enemies are approaching.

Besides that, these are actually quite enjoyable addons with atmospheric maps. Voice acting sucks, but hey, it's for free.

I'm playing through Bloody Pulp Fiction. It has some jank-ness to it right off the bat. For example, in the first level you encounter this about half way through the level:

Posted Image

There were at least a dozen cultists beyond that fire but you can't chuck dynamite because the fire is a physical object. I was able to kill all of them with the shotty and Tommy Gun and jump past the fire... Only to realize that you're not supposed to go there. The mod is also fairly cryptic. For example, 2nd level is set in a mall. You make your way through it and see the shudders on the stores?

Posted Image

You cannot open them... Except for one. And it isn't made obvious which one you can open. One that you need to open and open a bookcase colored differently from the others in order to get a key to progress. And there's another fairly hidden door that requires a key that can be easily overlooked.

Despite this, it's a pretty fun mod. I enjoy some of the lines from Blood 2 being used "Molynux this. Asshole."

Legends of the Iconoclast is surprisingly fun and has some great level design. Too bad that they replaced Caleb's voice like I said.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 09 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

User is offline   daMann 

Death Wish is great. I've only played parts of it, watched some videos, but it is just brilliant. Top notch work.

Still getting through Bloody Pulp Fiction. I got up to the Children of the Corn level before I got stumped trying to find the final key. I took a break for a bit and played through Legends of the Iconoclast again. I think Legends bugged out or something because I could not find a specific key in the sewer level which forced me to use the Keymaster cheat. I then go back into Bloody Pulp Fiction and just give up and use the Keymaster cheat again. I normally go out of my way to not cheat in these old games but with fan mods you never know if the key is just really well hidden or there's a bug.

Curiously, when I loaded up my save in Bloody Pulp Fiction all the enemies came back to life. That was fun. Now I'm at the Within The Woods level with the Tales from the Darkside theme playing.

Posted Image

JOIN US!

• The Truth is in here

If you get to Iconoclast 2: Unfinished Business, please tell me if you manage to get out of the airplane right at the beginning of the first level of episode 5 ("Sky Ramparts"). I had to use the noclip cheat (and even that was tricky because it required correct timing) because otherwise I would get stuck and crash against the wall with the plane. For some reason, you get pushed to the back of the plane, and if you try to jump out, it puts you to the end of the moving plane, with you inevitably dropping off sooner or later and getting killed. Quite a showstopper.

Regarding Pulp Fiction:
I am just playing through that by myself. It seems the art files are quite tricky to set up. I am using the BloodGDX-ready release from ModDB which has the art files in an "art" subdir. If you remove the files from there, you WILL experience severe texture errors ingame. But even if you do everything correctly, there are some areas that won't look right (e.g. enemy sprites used as textures). The original mod was quite a mess, so I assume the guy who converted this to GDX format made some mistakes. It's still quite playable, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

I don't think the way to access the final key in the Children of the Corn level in Bloody Pulp Fiction was bugged. At least I don't think it was. It was just very cryptically hidden. Even though you can clearly see the window with the key and if you had Jump Boots you could just grab it. But there's some way to activate the door that lets you into that room that I just couldn't figure out.

I think Bloody Pulp is a great fan mod that's somewhere in-between the greatness of the game's 4 initial campaigns, Death Wish, and Cryptic Passage.

• The Truth is in here

I managed to get to that key in "Cultists of the Corn" in BPF without cheating. It's one of the longest and most complicated levels I have ever played in Blood, that much is certain. You have to fill the corn silo, then later you have to activate two switches outside, one of which gets reset at some point, then you have to go there and activate it again (the one for the silo), then return again to a switch that didn't work before until the silo switch was reactivated. Then you can go back to the silo and use the extended arm to jump into the building with the key, but from the other side. It took me ages to figure it out, but it's entirely possible.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

I will have to amend my comments on Bloody Pulp Fiction because the map pack is clearly unfinished or there are some weird-ass bugs in GDX.

The Nuthouse level is so fucking dark that if you are even a tiny bit near-sighted that you will find this level unplayable. This is how dark it is for about half the level:

Posted Image

Once you figure out where to go (again, very cryptically) it gets tremendously better.

Posted Image

And how do you progress in that level? You have to find a little passage that you have to crouch to walk into. The passage passes by two rooms locked off by bars. The first set of bars you can't destroy but you can destroy the 2nd pair.

Then you get to a Carnival level next. And it's a very fun level despite there being a few too many Cultists for my liking. But then you find crap like this:

Posted Image

You can jump down from the fence into that spot but you can't jump back out.

And then this ultimate fuckery:

The Moon key opens this area that leads to the water slide. If you fall from there it takes 75% health. The mod gives you the Medkit in a very obvious spot just before you hit this drop. So you think you have to go down here:

Posted Image

This is the only open part of this area. There's no switch, no hidden room, nothing. So you drop down. Nearly die and there's another pit.

Posted Image

This pit straight up kills you no matter how much health you have. You may think you have to jump the gap but you can't because of an invisible wall. Caleb has a line when he comes to this drop so it's obvious that you were meant to go down here but the creators of the mod simply never finished this part.

I cannot recommend Bloody Pulp Fiction in this state. Or you could at least play it up until the Carnival level. Your choice.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 16 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, BPF is a mess. I also hated the pitch-black nut house. Even with gamma values maxed it was basically unplayable. No idea what the author thought when he made this. If it was supposed to create suspense, it doesn't. It's just annoying. I still like many levels of the first episode in this pack, but it's a very mixed bag. BTW, the interlude maps in which you just sit in a car driving with absolutely nothing happening until the level ends are absolutely pointless and a total waste of time. Maybe they are meant to create a transition between maps, but TBH maps are supposed to be played, not endured.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 May 2018 - 01:17 AM

User is offline   Manhs 

You didn't find the exit ^^
In this part where you fall and die, you have to take the box (coin) and activate one of the arcade machine who will open a secret door :P
Video of the map.
https://youtu.be/P_N0AjYV6eo
Yeah, i liked Bloody Pulp Fiction but some maps have some empty part (also the driving or horror house with nothing, just to scare you but well....it's cool too just for the atmosphere!).
A lot of maps were still very fun to play, the farm map was really brutal and with a good maze! :(

Legend Of Iconoclast are really cool too (when you see the amount of maps), i don't remember a lot those maps, just some were huge, i think i will play again with the first expansion :P

This post has been edited by Manhs: 16 May 2018 - 01:27 AM

View PostManhs, on 16 May 2018 - 01:17 AM, said:

You didn't find the exit ^^
In this part where you fall and die, you have to take the box (coin) and activate one of the arcade machine who will open a secret door :(
Video of the map.
https://youtu.be/P_N0AjYV6eo

That is some fucking bullshit. They should change the name from Bloody Pulp Fiction to Cryptic Bullshit.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 16 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   Yes 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

That is some fucking bullshit. They should change the name from Bloody Pulp Fiction to Cryptic Bullshit.

Eh. I managed to find it first try due to my Doom instincts driving me to wallhump every single thing I can get into arms reach of. I do remember me not being able to find a key at some point, though........

This post has been edited by Yes: 16 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   Yes 

Okay, while we are on the subject of bad design, the random proxy mines placed all over the levels in Death Wish can fuck right the hell off. Nothing is more frustrating than running into a bomb that you can't even see. Doubly so when they're placed on a fucking secret off all things.

This post has been edited by Yes: 16 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostYes, on 16 May 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Eh. I managed to find it first try due to my Doom instincts driving me to wallhump every single thing I can get into arms reach of. I do remember me not being able to find a key at some point, though........

Posted Image

There was zero indication that that's what you had to do to exit the level. Zero. Nadda. Firstly, there's nothing like this in any other Build Engine game. Secondly, it gives you zero hints that #1 you can interact with the arcade games and #2 that box you picked up has coins in it. The designers are pricks. They couldn't have had a Tome right there like in Death Wish that gives you a hint? How about some text near the box saying something to the effect of "Try the games" or "Try Chiller" or something? Or how about not being a prick and designing the level in such a way? JFC.

Terrible.

That one insanely cryptic bullshit has put me off of the mod. I've beaten the first episode but I have no desire to continue.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 16 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

User is offline   Manhs 

Mine/dynamite trap are everywhere, in Shadow Warrior 97 too (fanmaps are full of that!
You can still use the save but yeah, this coin thing in the carnival map was really hard to find, i needed to watch a video on youtube to understand how to finish the map but i wanted still play the other maps, you should, the others can be really great, your choice :(

This post has been edited by Manhs: 16 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

I am officially done with Bloody Pulp Fiction. I started playing episode 2 and the first level of this episode is fine. It's great. It's fun. It's not cryptic at all. It's very, very straightforward. Then comes the 2nd level...It starts out okay, a couple of Cultists in a bad situation where they can take all your health away if you make 1 mistake but all right. I go through it, killing tons of Cultists and get stuck about 2-3 minutes in. I start wall-humping and lo and behold a key was hidden behind a painting. Because of course. But it's not a key that will open one of the immediate doors that you find that absolutely require a key to open. So I look around, and go to the towers with the Cultists. Find a switch at the towers and think "Oh, this is where you need to go. Cool." Nope. The towers just lead to some ammo and armor. I explore some more, and just beneath a dead bat is a secret entrance with ammo and Akimbo but still no key and still no clue where you need to go. The Akimbo goes wasted. The placement of the Akimbo is really bizarre too. So I wall hump everything until I come across this:

Posted Image

You had to activate that window, shoot at a TNT barrel, and therein you find your key. Next up you unlock the door leading to a shitload of Cultists but luckily there's a turret. I hide behind the turret and activate it and it doesn't kill a single Cultist. I quick load and this time just chuck an Aerosol can or two at the horde of Cultists and easily kill them all. Then the level abruptly ends.

I am convinced there are multple authors of the maps for Bloody Pulp Fiction. Because some of the maps are great and are definitely not frustratingly cryptic and boring. But others are cryptic, poorly designed, and boring.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 22 May 2018 - 02:07 AM

• The Truth is in here

If you look at the ini of Blood Fiction, you'll discover that only the first episode has consistent map names (bpfe1m1-bfpe1m13) while the others use inidvidual names (e.g. training, thefort, blakcove etc). This indicates that episodes 2 and 3 are map compilations of various authors. This becomes obvious when looking at the last map of ep.3 which is Alone In The Dark 2 - a map that is actually part of a different addon and should have nothing to do with this.

In general, BPF is a very mixed bag. It's happening too often that you are getting stuck since you are not the author who is the only one that can play through these maps without a guide since he knows what he did and why. This is, per definitionem, bad level design.

I feel like I was a little too harsh on French Meat and played it again. The main problem with it is the severe lack of ammo in the first two levels. So the way to get around this is to carefully take out Cultists with the Flare gun or TNT whenever you can. This involves a lot of save scumming. And never using any of the guns or even the TNT on the zombies. You want to either ignore them or Pitchfork them to death. And in the 2nd level you can find an Akimbo powereup but you don't want to grab it. If you do, you will waste tons of ammo. Instead you want to carefully pick off the Cultists with the Flare gun or lure them over and empty both shotgun barrels into them.

After you get past the 2nd level you should have more than enough ammo and it actually becomes pretty fun despite the 2nd problem being a shitload of Cultist ambushes. The designers loved to have Cultists in corner or appear just behind doors.

Other than that it's great. It's a mod that I would recommend cheating in to give you all the guns and ammo just to have some fun with it. It does very abruptly end though.

The secret level was a nice surprise.

Posted Image

They went too far here:

Posted Image

SMDH.

• The Truth is in here

I don't know how many games remade E1M1 of Doom (or MAP01 of Doom II). Maybe it was fun the first time it was done, but seeing those maps retextured over and over again just to make them fit into different games is getting quite boring and feels lazy.
When I found that Twin Tower place in FM, I also thought: "Oops, but well, maybe they made this before 9/11..." Then I checked the date of the mod and realized they didn't. But hey, it's still less absurd than thinking the US government blew up the towers by themselves, right? :( In the end though, it's probably best not to have real tragedy references in a game at all - even if it's a mod for a game that isn't so well-known (even though it should).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

View PostNightFright, on 28 May 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

I don't know how many games remade E1M1 of Doom (or MAP01 of Doom II). Maybe it was fun the first time it was done, but seeing those maps retextured over and over again just to make them fit into different games is getting quite boring and feels lazy.

I've never seen it done in Blood so it gets a pass.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNightFright, on 28 May 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

I hope my Dukeplus effort at remaking a popular Doom map didn't fall into that boring remake category. I tried my best to put enough "lipstick" on it to make it something interesting to play or at least to look at.

• The Truth is in here

I guess it's alright. It's just not the first time I see this done in general, that's what I was trying to say.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options