Duke4.net Forums: Time Travel - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time Travel  "Episode Ideas"

User is offline   Big Bene 

• Youngloov

I've got an idea I'd like to present, but I have to start a few months ago -
I had started to show my little son a few games of the old days, and he had great fun with them.
He absolutely loved DN3D (he didn't really understand the gore and erotic aspects, but just "killing this very very very dangeouos monster" is cool).
I was reminded of an old Idea of mine ("Nazi Dinosaurs from outer Space") and I wanted to start mapping again after over a decade's gap.
But I had no hurry with this project, I rather wanted to do some smaller maps before to gather some experience.
So I thought of settings that would be fitting for a little child but could still provide some action. My firt choice was a pirate ship, and my son wanted (in this order) a sioux camp and a halloween themed city.
So I'm working on the pirate ship when I have time for myself, but when my son is with me, he demands to work on the native village, so I actually have two maps in work. Don'tget me wrong, I can only dedicate half a hour every few days, so these are still pretty much in the beginning stages.

But I couldn't help to think of a way to use these maps for something more mainstream, with cycloids for real combat action, and a backstory that not only connects the maps, but also explains why the aliens are present in these settings.

So I came up with a an idea. A very rough idea so far.
Somthing of a mixture of Terminator, the Time Machine book series and the Classic game Time Tunnel.
The aliens have set up a plot to manipulate events in history (and perhaps also future) to sowhow (still not sure how) take out or sidepass the Duke and finally succeed in conquering the world and all its chicks.
Somebody (the EDF?) has aquired informations about this plan plus a time travel device stolen from the aliens. Due to the not fully understood technology, the time travel options using this device are limited, you can only jump from certain points in space and time to certain other points (so it is possible to make this as a series of maps). Of course, the Duke is choosen to go to stranger times and stop the aliens.

What do you think?

This post has been edited by Big Bene: 21 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hi,

How strange, but months ago, I had the same thought, something like Duke In Time. I was watching Black Sails and a fight from ship firing on the town then moving to Nassau crossed my mind.

I was also thinking of a deserted Cowboy town (with a special tumbleweed sprite of course), ice and snow level in Vikings era and of course a medieval castle in France or something else in Europe.

Your "Nazi Dinosaurs from Outer Space" title tells me that a level with dinosaurs could be nice (Duke gulped down bye a Trex and exit from... hum, sorry, not for little child ^^').

Your Episode idea is a good one in my opinion but it will take a lot of time to made baddies sprites with hat and 6 shots or pigcop with musket ^^, if you plan some mods. And letting Duke use time period weapons could be nice (Duke with a Thompson fighting Al(ien) Capone...)

Bon courage ^^.

Bye,
DotK3D

• Youngloov

View PostDotK3D, on 21 June 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Hi,

How strange, but months ago, I had the same thought, something like Duke In Time. I was watching Black Sails and a fight from ship firing on the town then moving to Nassau crossed my mind.
Bon courage ^^.

Thanks for the heads up and it's great to hear that someone had the same thought.

I was also thinking of a deserted Cowboy town (with a special tumbleweed sprite of course), ice and snow level in Vikings era and of course a medieval castle in France or something else in Europe.

Sounds great. Do you want to try and do some of those? As my own progress is very slow and my maps will probably suck ("First maps suck" spoke Mickey), this would be a "relaxed" project without any pressure.

Your "Nazi Dinosaurs from Outer Space" title tells me that a level with dinosaurs could be nice (Duke gulped down bye a Trex and exit from... hum, sorry, not for little child ^^').

Two different things - Nazi Dinosaurs from outer Space will be a game in its own right.
But a dinosaur era map could be cool. Also as a test lab for technically bringing dinosaurs to D3d live.

Your Episode idea is a good one in my opinion but it will take a lot of time to made baddies sprites with hat and 6 shots or pigcop with musket ^^, if you plan some mods. And letting Duke use time period weapons could be nice (Duke with a Thompson fighting Al(ien) Capone...)

Making pirate and native american sprites would be cool, but also very much work. Scripting theyr behavior and making era weapons that funciton in a believeable manner (i.e. are nor just reskins) is even harder.
I came up with the alien plan of manipulating history partly to avoid this. The aliens would have taken over the pirate ship, just as they do with the places in original D3D, and there are no human inhabitants left except for the chicks, so duke could fight aliens as usual (or perhaps, there could be the random survivor who sits hidden behind some crate, giving some information or item, but doesn't move or fight. Technically a piece of scenery, not an actor).
As for weapons, having Duke use a musket, pepperbox pistol, naval cannon or voodoo wand would be great, but again very diffcult. If we stick to standard weapons, a possible in-game solution would be that the EDF or whoever drops "time capsules" with equipment for Duke whenever sending him somewhere, but has no influence on the exact point they land, so Duke has to search the Map for them. Of course, if someone (certainly not me, at least at this point) would script the era weapons, a combination of both would also be great.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hi,

Unfortunately, last time I map something, and nearly finish it, it was on my 486 DX2 66 Mhz... ^^' So I am not a mapper, even if sometimes I try something on mapster. I am also a slooooooow worker.
I don't want to promise anything and I have a few sprites I want to be done. It's very tempting to try something bigger than a few rocks , and I am in holidays in a few weeks, but I don't know if I'll have time to start mapping or perhaps modifying sprites .

If I can do something, I let you know, but don't wait for me ^^.

BTW, The EDF time caspules for weapons and goodies is a great idea for having Duke launching rockets on Prehistopigcop (sorry, I like lame jokes). About baddies, having them using weapon of the era is cool, but just a reskin like in carribean life is perhaps sufficient ?

Bye
DotK3D

• Youngloov

View PostDotK3D, on 23 June 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

I am also a slooooooow worker.

Me, too.
And at the moment, mapping is very low on my to do list.
As I said, if anything, this is a relaxed project.
It's just, I liked your ideas - expecially the Viking ship in ice shelves.
And the dinosaur age, of course.

About baddies, having them using weapon of the era is cool, but just a reskin like in carribean life is perhaps sufficient ?

I dunno.
With period weapons, if it is to be interesting at all, we would have to have some different meele weapons, and a variety of one-shoot front loading black powder weapons.
Or perhaps I'm just overthinking it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options