Duke4.net Forums: Mapster freezes my computer... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster freezes my computer...  "...when trying to test a map"

User is offline   Sanek 

I have this problem for a couple of years by now, but only now I decided to write about it.
So, I have a strange bug when I try to test my map - I can't load it for the first time! There's nothing but the black screen! But when I load test for the second time, everyting is all right, and the next tests run smoothly.
However, after the last update of eduke32, the problem got worse - my computer just freezes when I try to test a map. It's very frustrating to restart everyting, especially when you don't save anyting. So, every time I want to test my map, I have to exit mapster and load it from eduke32.
Is there any way to solve this thing? Am I the only one who have this kind of problem? Help me please :P

User is offline   Mark 

When I used to run Vista and had only 4GB of ram I had those problems. Long delays, up to a minute, with a black screen or crashing while the game tried to load from within Mapster. Eventually I gave up and just loaded Eduke32 to test my maps.

What OS and amount of ram do you have.

User is offline   Sanek 

WinXP 3GB ram

User is offline   Mark 

Problem is probably due to the same lack of memory Issue I had. I switched from Vista to win7 mainly so I could get up to the 8GB minimum you want these days. Mapster/Eduke32 run so much better now. Especially since my projects are loaded with custom hi res content.

View PostSanek, on 06 June 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:

So, every time I want to test my map, I have to exit mapster and load it from eduke32.

View PostSanek, on 06 June 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

WinXP 3GB ram

You can try disabling any HRP content you have installed. Sounds like your just running out of memory.

User is offline   Sanek 

Yea it looks like it. I don't use any HRP packs tho...

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Your computer hardware is failing or you have a bad driver. User mode programs do not cause reboots or lockups on properly functioning systems. They don't have access to write to memory outside of their own address space--it's literally impossible for EDuke32 or Mapster32 to be the root cause of a reboot or lockup, ever.

User is offline   Sanek 

Ok thanks for explanation, I'll try to do something with my hardware.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostSanek, on 07 June 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Ok thanks for explanation, I'll try to do something with my hardware.

Hi Sanek,

I just wanted to say that I think I had a very similar result to what you're describing. My problem occurred while I was in Mapster in Full Screen Mode and randomly switching between 2D / 3D mode. Occasionally it would also happen when loading a map. At the time I had a dual boot system running Windows XP / Windows 7. It was never a problem for me in XP but I was unable to use Mapster in Windows 7 because of this black screen lock-up problem with the odd hd light flicker on the tower. I even left my machine with the black screen over night thinking maybe it would recover, not a chance. Typically no mouse or keyboard commands would work. There were a few times I was lucky enough where I could press control + alt + delete really fast and end the Mapster process just before I lost control of the system but it was very rare that it worked. Typically it always resorted to a hard power cycle of the computer. Very Frustrating!

I have since upgraded my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in my dual boot environment and now the problem has gone away completely. I can run Mapster full screen with no problems in Windows 10. No hardware change was made. The only other thing I changed was I updated my Nvidia graphics drivers to the latest version. For me nothing was ever recorded in the Eduke debug logs and I knew it wasn't hardware. I would recommend running the latest version of video drivers failing that revert to a very old driver. Also, try not running in full screen mode & try forcing Eduke & Mapster to use a different default renderer mode before loading the map and see if anything improves? This problem might be a Polymer problem with certain video drivers since Polymer is primarily what I use.

Also check to see if you're running Intel Rapid Storage manager/Intel Storage Matrix utility. I've had issues in the past with certain versions of that software on some systems. If you're running an Antivirus program consider uninstalling it while you are trouble shooting the problem in case its interfering with the Eduke\Mapster processes. My Anti-virus at the time was Symantec Endpoint Protection 12. Now I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition Cloud. Other than that I can't think of anything else that might have changed on my system to avoid the problem you are describing.

P.S If it is "hardware related" problems should surface in other areas of Windows and not just specifically with Eduke's video modes.

Good luck.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 11 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options