Duke4.net Forums: CONFIG FILE SETTINGS - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CONFIG FILE SETTINGS

User is online   Mark 

Its getting close to release time for another project. I would like a quick informal poll of the keys and buttons you use for your basic setup. I have been told on many occasions that my standard setup is so weird compared to everyone else so I want to be able to have a default setup for the project that will be a close fit for most people.

To make it simple I will list the function and you can reply simply with the key or button you use separated by a comma.

move forward, move backward, jump, crouch, use/open, fire

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Why wouldn't you just map things based off the default scheme?

Then with proper naming people can customize as needed.

User is online   Mark 

I wanted to offer the courtesy of pre-mapping keys if there was a clear consensus of key and button usage. If not then I would leave them at default. The menu already has an option to configure controls, use the mod's default, or use classic controls. So I just want to set the user bindings for the first one only.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

User is offline   juvenite 

Alright, I personally use: W, S, Space, Right Ctrl, E and LMB.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMark., on 02 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

To make it simple I will list the function and you can reply simply with the key or button you use separated by a comma.

move forward, move backward, jump, crouch, use/open, fire

W, S, Space, ALT(Left), E, Mouse Left button

The reason I use ALT for crouch because CTRL + Space will trigger my Chinese input methods/IMEs, and it always caused problems for most games which never supported Chinese input(inputs null-ed, flashing screens by IME's window, black screens, game freeze/crashing etc.)

I know CTRL would be many players using but I won't using CTRL for jumping. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 03 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I use the mouse with my left hand, and I use the right side of the keyboard (mostly the number pad) with my right hand. This is one reason I never include my personal configuration when I release a mod. :P

User is online   Mark 

Mine is weird too. Since the 90's I have used this same basic setup in games.

RMB, Space, A, Z, E or double RMB, LMB

User is offline   Hank 

Sort of commonly found as default settings:
WASD = player movement
E = Open/Use
Ctrl = Fire
Jump and Crouch = Space and Z; varies

Mouse
1 = Fire
2 = Select Item
C = Weapon/Item Change

===

My setup, just to humor you, I'm left handed. :P
JBNM = Player Movement
H = Open
Space = Crouch
B = Jump

Mouse
1 = Fire
2 = Jump
3 Turn = Weapon Change
3 CLick = Open

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

Keyboard

WASD and keyboard arrows = player movement (A&D for strafe, mouse movement to change direction)
E and Space = Open/Use
Enter = Use if the using button is a separeted function from the Open one
Ctrl = Fire
X and Alt = Jump (or Crouch)
Z = Crouch (or Jump)
R = Reload/Secondary fire or scope (use the second mouse button for Secondary fire if I can or it is required)
Shift = activate and deactive running

Mouse

1 = Fire
2 = Secondary fire
Mouse Wheel = Weapon/Item Change (or I just use the keyboard numbers)

User is online   Mark 

Thanks. I was only interested in the 6 main controls I listed because my mod does not require the use of any others.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I always used the default keyboard controls. No mouse (as I do for all 2.5D shooters). In EDuke32 and modern 3D shooters I used to use the numpad for movement, jump, crouch, items, and the mouse for look, shoot, alt shoot, and walk (always run on). Now I use WASD and all the keys around it because I don't like moving the keyboard half of the desk.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

late_to_the_thread.jpg

Why do you need to ship a cfg file instead of letting the program generate one? Are there specific settings that your mod needs?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 June 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

I use the mouse with my left hand, and I use the right side of the keyboard (mostly the number pad) with my right hand. This is one reason I never include my personal configuration when I release a mod. :P

I do the same - except I right hand the mouse & left hand the numpad & arrow keys

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMark., on 02 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

To make it simple

IMO you are over complicating it by adding this. Most people are happy with wasd... Defaults. Those who aren't will have very different tastes and it would be unlikely to see any two non-standard layouts match up. If you want second most common it's numpad movement with jump being a crapshoot usually mouse or a odd button near the numpad like + or -. I'd also go out on a limb and say that your config is unique all in its own.

User is online   Mark 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 June 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

late_to_the_thread.jpg

Why do you need to ship a cfg file instead of letting the program generate one? Are there specific settings that your mod needs?

As stated in earlier posts my mod ( based on what was inherited from WGR2 ) has 3 menu options for setting the controls. classic default, the mod's default and user set controls. I wanted to do a courtesy of setting only the 7-9 needed user set controls ahead of time and only if I found a majority census from people here. So its not as though I'm limiting anyone. Just trying to make it quicker to playtime after installing.

And no, I don't want to hack into the code to remove those 2 extra options from the menu. I'll bugger something up.

Drek: and they will have those defaults. Its an option in the menu.

I planned on letting people know that only 7 keys or buttons are needed if you use mouse movement, 9 if you use WASD. The WGR2 that this is using has way more features probably with keyboard mapping that may confuse people if they don't read the readme files. By offering a pre-made cfg it has a chance of less confusion for some. But since only 2 or 3 keys are fairly common it won't work as well as I hoped.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

User is online   Mark 

Disregard anything in this thread. I'm going to have to dig in to the game to remove any extra WGR2 features in the menu and then not include any cfg file.
Its looking like the best option. :P

Thanks for your opinions.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options