Duke4.net Forums: Do you use Parental Lock? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you use Parental Lock?  "If so, how often?"

User is offline   LGN-76 

Myself: 50/50.

Don't get me wrong, I love every nook and cranny of Duke Nukem 3D. Violence and Nudity/Sex doesn't offend me at all, and if I could play the game uncensored all the time, I would...

But I can't. Why? Because Duke Nukem 3D's one of my absolute favorite games. As part of my Autism and OCD, I NEED to be able to play my absolute favorite games EVERYWHERE I go. Literally, everywhere. On PC. On Console. On Handheld. At a friend's. At the Library. Even at work (when I have free time; I'm typing this message at work BTW).

Like I said, I am not offended by nudity and extreme violence, but relatives and public libraries are offended by it. Plus I have three (soon to be four) nephews. I unintentionally made one of them cry because I wouldn't let him watch me play Grand Theft Auto III, as per my sister's wishes.

That's why I use Duke Nukem 3D's Parental Lock, and I'm extremely grateful 3D Realms put it in there (with a password as well). I can keep the game on my favorites list (as well as First-Person Shooters my Favorite Genre), and still be able to play it everywhere I go.

This post has been edited by LGN-76: 17 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   BoowHow 

I personally don't use the Parental Lock, since I have no need for it.

User is offline   NNC 

Sorry, but if you play Duke at work in front of your colleague's eyes, it doesn't matter if the parental lock is on, you won't be held in high regard. Well, depends on your work anyways.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 17 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

I used to use it all the time, as it was the only way my parents would allow me to play it. Now, however, I don't use it as much because I'm an adult, but I still use it when my Niece and Nephew are around.

This post has been edited by Never Forgotten: 17 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I don't use it, never have used it.

Back in the day when I was a kid, I played it with full violence on but really.. How far can you get in a game like that when fps is still totally new genre and you playing it with nothing really but cursorkeys and spacebar :(

I do think it is nice for such feature to exist. So that people who were to use such feature have the ability to use it. Thus ultimately more people get to experience the game since "something for everybody".

User is offline   LGN-76 

Nancsi, on 17 May 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Sorry, but if you play Duke at work in front of your colleague's eyes, it doesn't matter if the parental lock is on, you won't be held in high regard. Well, depends on your work anyways.

I just did today, and he loved it. :(

The place I work is extremely lenient when it comes to what I wanna do on my free time. Hell, they allow me to play Grand Theft Auto, as long as I avoid the strip clubs/questionable content and keep the volume down or on headphones.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Did when I was a kid. Now it's just easier to see what I'm shooting at to spawn more monsters.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

The game has a parental lock?

I remember as a kid being disappointed by the lack of nudity in duke3d. With all the hype around that specific aspect of the game, the only level with strippers that took there tops off was E1L2. I have never enabled the parental lock in the game, my dad enabled it once as a kid, I hacked passed it, he told me not to tell my mother, and that was the end the parental lock for me.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I used it when the kids were younger. When they got to about 12 or so, and especially when they saw the tiles in the editor, then there wasn't much point after that.

User is offline   Fulsy 

My dad used to put on the parental lock for me. I found out how to disable it, but I kept it on so I wouldn't get in trouble.

By the time I got my own computer, found out how to install the game myself, and got it to run on a modern operating system, I don't think he cared anymore.

User is offline   Komenja 

I honestly didn't know Duke 3D had a Parental Lock feature until I saw LGR's review from like a year ago.

User is offline   necroslut 

I vaguely remember using it for a while back in the 90's, both for Duke and Shadow Warrior. I don't really remember why anymore.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I tested parental lock just because it was there in the options menu.

To me, the only upside of parental lock was when i finally figured out how to beat "Death Row" without cheating. Finding the tunnel is a lot easier when there's no poster covering the entrance. I saw the movie (don't remember the title right now) on TV a few years later and my first thought was they stole the idea from Duke 3D. :P

• The Sarien Encounter

Escape From Alcatraz?

EDIT: No, it was Shawshank Redemption.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

I just remembered what caused me to get off my ass figure out how to get around the parental lock as a kid(I think I was 7 or 8). In episode 3, 3drealms missed guarding the duke line were he says "Damn thats the second time those alien bastards shot down my ride"; for some reason this set off something in my head where, if they missed this, its possible, the way to bypass this whole system is actually pretty easy.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think "damn" was considered censor-worthy. Were any other "damn" quotes censored? I honestly don't remember.

MusicallyInspired, on 31 May 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

I don't think "damn" was considered censor-worthy. Were any other "damn" quotes censored? I honestly don't remember.

Yes the "damn those alien bastards shot down my ride" from E1L1 was censored, but not the "damn thats the second time those alien bastards shot down my ride".

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options