Duke4.net Forums: Wishlist - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wishlist  "Things we would like to see in Mapster32"

User is offline   Big Bene 

• Youngloov

Hi!

As much as I see, Mapster is continousely "under developement".
Is there already a forum / subforum / thread where suggestions, wishes and to-dos of the community are coleected?

I have put the wishlist here and will from time to time "update" it, so the list itself will always be in the first page of the thread.
Each wish starts with the name of the "author" in brackets.
Obsolete wishes (fullfilled or nor longer supported) will be colored red, wishes that may become obsolete are blue.

• (Bb) When starting a new wall and set the first vertex, it "snaps" to the nearest grid point. It would, however, be very practical to have it snapping to the nearest existing vertex of another sector, so you could more easily divide sectors or add new sectors to the side of existing ones, which is a relatively common task when mapping. As the older sector often was build with another grid solution (or possibly out of grid at all), having a "vertex snap" would be very versatile. Best way to implement it would probably be with another key combination, e. g. Space sets a new vertex at the nearest grid point, Shift + Space sets a new vertex at the nearest existing vertex.
    Note: read post 4 to 10 for clarification.
  • (Micky C) I'd also find it very useful if there were a way to delete vertices without having to collapse them. I'm sure there are a few checks involved with this to make sure that it's done safely, but even if it was restricted to use in expertmode, that'd be a help.
  • (Bb) Why not adding more shapes than the "Semicircle" that was already included in Build.exe? A true Polygon (without the first point out of place) comes to mind naturally. Others would perhaps be rounded rectangles?
  • (Bb) Probably that's just me, but perhaps there could be a kind of "compatibility filter", so that you can define that a project should be compatible to the original DN3D, or to Polymer, or whatever, and Mapster automatically restricts the features (sewctor count etc.) to keep it compatible.
  • (Bb) Set vertices with a mouse click (what you do now with the Space bar).
  • (Bb) Use a modern GUI with menu bar, icons, context menues etc.
  • (Bb) Art files directly accessable and editable from Mapster.
  • (Bb) I don't know if this is an idea or rather a bug report, but at least on my system, the Mapster window is "focus-hungry", if I may tell it this. It can't be minimzed, it can't be moved away from the screen's center, and to go to another application, I have to use the Windows key. This is very annoying. (may be solved)

This post has been edited by Big Bene: 16 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Feel free to post in this thread that you have made.

• Youngloov

Well, for a start:

• When you set a new vertex, it "snaps" to the nearest grid point. You can turn this off.
    It would, however, be very practical to have it snapping to the nearest existing vertex of another sector.
    So you could more easily divide sectors or add new sectors to the side of existing ones, which is a relatively common task when mapping (of course, my experience is rather limited).
    As the older sector often was build with another grid solution (or possibly out of grid at all), having a "vertex snap" would be very versatile.
    Best way to implement it would probably be with another key combination, e. g. Space sets a new vertex at the nearest grid point, Shift + Space sets a new vertex at the nearest existing vertex.
  • Why not adding more shapes than the "Semicircle" that was already included in Build.exe? A true Polygon (without the first point out of place) comes to mind naturally.
  • I don't know if this is an idea or rather a bug report, but at least on my system, the Mapster window is "focus-hungry", if I may tell it this. It can't be minimzed, it can't be moved away from the screen's center, and to go to another application, I have to use the Windows key. This is very annoying.
  • Probably that's just me, but perhaps there could be a kind of "compatibility filter", so that you can define that a project should be compatible to the original DN3D, or to Polymer, or whatever, and Mapster automatically restricts the features (sewctor count etc.) to keep it compatible.
  • Set vertices with a mouse click.
  • Use a modern GUI with menu bar, icons, context menues etc.
  • Art files directly accessable and editable from Mapster.

This post has been edited by Big Bene: 16 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I must be misunderstanding the first request. I don't see anything but trouble with overlapping vertices on the same co-ordinate. How would you choose which vertice to move if you want to?

I think there is a way to configure Mapster to display on a different spot on the screen.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 May 2017 - 03:56 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He's talking about drawing new walls through vertices that aren't on the regular grid.

View PostBig Bene, on 16 May 2017 - 12:51 AM, said:

Well, for a start:

• When you set a new vertex, it "snaps" to the nearest grid point. You can turn this off.
    It would, however, be very practical to have it snapping to the nearest existing vertex of another sector.
    So you could more easily divide sectors or add new sectors to the side of existing ones, which is a relatively common task when mapping (of course, my experience is rather limited).
    As the older sector often was build with another grid solution (or possibly out of grid at all), having a "vertex snap" would be very versatile.
    Best way to implement it would probably be with another key combination, e. g. Space sets a new vertex at the nearest grid point, Shift + Space sets a new vertex at the nearest existing vertex.
  • Why not adding more shapes than the "Semicircle" that was already included in Build.exe? A true Polygon (without the first point out of place) comes to mind naturally.
  • I don't know if this is an idea or rather a bug report, but at least on my system, the Mapster window is "focus-hungry", if I may tell it this. It can't be minimzed, it can't be moved away from the screen's center, and to go to another application, I have to use the Windows key. This is very annoying.
  • Probably that's just me, but perhaps there could be a kind of "compatibility filter", so that you can define that a project should be compatible to the original DN3D, or to Polymer, or whatever, and Mapster automatically restricts the features (sewctor count etc.) to keep it compatible.
  • Set vertices with a mouse click.
  • Use a modern GUI with menu bar, icons, context menues etc.
  • Art files directly accessable and editable from Mapster.

1. Highly support.
2. Probably more of an a.m32 thing? Would be nice.
3. ?
4. I gather this is pretty difficult to pull off with the current format since there's nowhere to store that information. I don't think many mappers would bother with it anyway since that info is in the read me included with maps.
5. Set?
6. Would be very nice, sure, but the devs have higher priority things like fixing the networking. Ultimately key combinations are a lot faster. The menus would only really be useful for more advanced features, not the regular minute-to-minute actions. The other main advantage would be to give it the appearance of being less intimidating to get familiar with to new mappers.
7. It's a map editor, not a modding suite.

I'd also find it very useful if there were a way to delete vertices without having to collapse them. I'm sure there are a few checks involved with this to make sure that it's done safely, but even if it was restricted to use in expertmode, that'd be a help.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 16 May 2017 - 04:14 AM

• Youngloov

View PostMark., on 16 May 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

I must be misunderstanding the first request. I don't see anything but trouble with overlapping vertices on the same co-ordinate. How would you choose which vertice to move if you want to?

I think there is a way to configure Mapster to display on a different spot on the screen.

Micky got that right - in the end, there won't be two vertices on the same point, but only one with a new wall connected to it.

Micky C said:

5. Set?
Create. Or "use" as a edge of a wall. What you normally do with the Space bar.

Micky C said:

7. It's a map editor, not a modding suite.
But it could be. graphics are part of the map, and if you could do them on point when you need them, this would be a plus. But well, it's probably too much efford for too little effect.

Micky C said:

I'd also find it very useful if there were a way to delete vertices without having to collapse them. I'm sure there are a few checks involved with this to make sure that it's done safely, but even if it was restricted to use in expertmode, that'd be a help.
This. Plus, there may be some possibilities to produce errors, but I think these would be the same as with the collapsing method.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

"I don't know if this is an idea or rather a bug report, but at least on my system, the Mapster window is "focus-hungry", if I may tell it this. It can't be minimzed, it can't be moved away from the screen's center, and to go to another application, I have to use the Windows key. This is very annoying."

Press the console key in the keyboard, you know, the one to the left of "1" that releases the application window.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 16 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

User is offline   Mark 

OK. What confused me was this quote...
When you set a new vertex, it "snaps" to the nearest grid point. You can turn this off.

I read that as meaning snap a new vertex to the nearest existing vertex. Hence, overlapping vertices. I can understand wanting the new vertex to attach to a wall that is off grid but since you specified snapping to an existing vertex I took it literally.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

• Youngloov

View PostMark., on 16 May 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

OK. What confused me was this quote...
When you set a new vertex, it "snaps" to the nearest grid point. You can turn this off.

I read that as meaning snap a new vertex to the nearest existing vertex. Hence, overlapping vertices. I can understand wanting the new vertex to attach to a wall that is off grid but since you specified snapping to an existing vertex I took it literally.

Yeah, it is not so simple to descibe in an unambiguous form. But by now, I think everyone knows what I meant.

User is offline   Mark 

yep

• Youngloov

View PostMicky C, on 16 May 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

4. I gather this is pretty difficult to pull off with the current format since there's nowhere to store that information. I don't think many mappers would bother with it anyway since that info is in the read me included with maps.

Well, I think it wouldn't have to be stored with the map file, or anywhere.
It would rather be a function you could activate in Mapster, a feature of the running Mapster session, so it would prevent you from doing things that would "break" the compatibility level you have set (in Mapster!), or give a warning when you try to do so. This could include the sprite or sector count, usage of 3D models or Polymer lights, etc.
Mapster could require you to set this at the start of each session, or perhaps "remember" the setting of the last session. Most of the time, you will work on the same map (or an episode with some maps of the same style) for some period of time, anyway. Or, the compability could set to minimum (original DN3D) by default, and everytime you insert something that requires a higher level, issue a warning, and change to that level if you click "OK". something like this.

This post has been edited by Big Bene: 18 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options