Duke4.net Forums: Colored Link Text - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Colored Link Text  "Should be default"

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I've noticed in a few cases when someone inserts a link into their text, it's often missed because the link text is exactly the same color as the normal text.

I've been on other forums that have the linked texts as a different color by default so they're way easier to spot.

Example:

Here is a image of Duke Nukem.

Here is a image of Duke Nukem.

The normal white link text is easy to miss when you include it in big paragraphs or even in a simple 5 word sentence.

I think it would be better if the default link text color is changed to a color that stands out more.

User is offline   Mark 

IIRC, people have been working around that by using underlined text for the link word. Not perfect because sometimes non linked words get underlined in a post. So a new color would be better. But not blue or red. Those seem to be harder to see on a black backround.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The red is hard to read. I don't have a problem with plain white and underlined text. If anything, maybe a slight gold to reflect the colour scheme of the website/forum and the page nuke logo.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

I agree red would be horrible, I would stick with the plain white.

User is offline   Kawa 

I second Brandon's gold.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I say gold, like the username links.

• The Sarien Encounter

Just rereading the OP and Mark.'s response, does everybody not have underlined text as default for links?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 June 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

Just rereading the OP and Mark.'s response, does everybody not have underlined text as default for links?

Yes, me.
But the links show up as white, and regular text is grey. So, I have no need for links to be underlined nor to have a different color. :P

• The Sarien Encounter

That's....odd. Why would it be different for different people?

User is offline   Mark 

quote text is grey and regular text is white for me

User is offline   Hank 

this is what I see on 'Chrome' at its default settings:
Attached Image: linkTextColours.jpg

p.s. DuckDuckGo is also a link!

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

User is offline   Kawa 

My eyes are pretty good, and even with the difference in text rendering in Hank's screenshot I find the contrast between light gray text and white links to be... hard to distinguish. I mean, the second link in the pic actually looks like a link, being an URL, but the fact that Hank apparently felt he had to specify DuckDuckGo being a link speaks for itself, really.

• The Sarien Encounter

It probably depends on your display too. Different intensities of colour and different brightness/contrast/gamma settings. I'm up for giving it a gold colour, though. I still can't figure out why some people see links as underlined and some not, though. I looked through my forum options and I don't see a toggle anywhere...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

This is what I see. (though, links are not underlined in signatures)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: links.png

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostKawa, on 02 June 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

My eyes are pretty good, and even with the difference in text rendering in Hank's screenshot I find the contrast between light gray text and white links to be... hard to distinguish. I mean, the second link in the pic actually looks like a link, being an URL, but the fact that Hank apparently felt he had to specify DuckDuckGo being a link speaks for itself, really.

I added the ps note for those that have a shitty laptop (computer) as I used to have. The first time this forum opened, I had a hard time reading anything. :P

@ MusicallyInspired - FireFox has an option to show links either underlined or not. Google Chrome does not have that option.
So, I think that the CSS of the forums have links set for, not underlined; and those that do see links underlined, probably have their browsers/smartphone overwrite the CSS. = is false. Time to go and get some R&R :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

How about just bold as well as underlined, it would make them harder to miss.

Though gold is, indeed, a good candidate.

My color scheme is better :P

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHank, on 02 June 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

I added the ps note for those that have a shitty laptop (computer) as I used to have. The first time this forum opened, I had a hard time reading anything. :P

@ MusicallyInspired - FireFox has an option to show links either underlined or not. Google Chrome does not have that option.
So, I think that the CSS of the forums have links set for, not underlined; and those that do see links underlined, probably have their browsers/smartphone overwrite the CSS.

Interesting. Does Firefox force that on by default? I'm not a fan of that.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 June 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Interesting. Does Firefox force that on by default? I'm not a fan of that.

The Firefox I have shows all links underlined. Not sure if this is the default, all I can say is that I never altered any of its settings.

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

http://www.pastasalad.com

Edit: Yeah in firefox here it shows up as underlined.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the css to kill the underline which has been the standard default link styling since forever. Not sure why it would be different in Chrome.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

I agree about the link color and i am willing to change it, but it has been years since i changed this forum theme.
I liked subtle colors at the time when i created this forum skin. Gotta reacquaint myself to editing.. hell not sure if i can get into Admin CP. Haha.. professionalism..

When it's done...

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

IP.board is retarded. Can't change forum post external link colors without it changing internal link colors.

There's a plugin for it $12.50 and Renewal Term: $10.00 per year. LOL

User is offline   Kawa 

Can I just say that's bullshit on so many levels?

• The Sarien Encounter

$12.50 to change a colour line in CSS? I mean, I know IP board is more complex than that technically, but that's what it boils down to isn't it? Is it not just all uncompiled code/markup language?

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

The way this theme is set up, i just don't see an easy non css-"guru" coder required way to change the entry-content external link colours. And i guess that's why a payed option exists.
I like pretty colours and pretty graphics...not coding..unless it's basic.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Hey i think i did it.

Test

.bbc_url, .bbc_email {
	color: #A7823C;
	text-decoration: none;

That was all... :P

• The Sarien Encounter

I knew you could do it! Well done.

BrandonBlume.com
SC-55 Music Packs

Awesome.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options