Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Shovelware CDs - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Shovelware CDs  "How good are they?"

User is offline   LGN-76 

I'm thinking about nabbing some shovelware CDs for Duke 3D on amazon, because I want all those levels. Right now I've got my eye on DukeZone and Total Meltdown.

But before I go ahead and buy them, I wanna know from you guys just how good or bad those CDs are. If most of them are good, tell me which ones I should buy. If most of them are bad, then tell me where I can get thousands of good levels online...

User is offline   Lunick 

By definition, shovelware is not good so those discs are not good.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It's really not worth it. Most of the time, all they did with these CDs was to collect user levels from the internet without asking the authors for permission. In some rare cases, new levels were made (such as the three episodes for Duke!Zone II), but those never reached the quality of the official addons or many well-made community levels available for free.

User is offline   nukemania 

Yeah, shovelware isn't a source if you're looking for quality maps. Though there are some exceptions in the packs, those are very few and very far in between. Take it from someone who's gone through all of Duke!Zone and Duke Assault, the latter of which is 1500 maps. At best, the shovelware compilations should be bought for the novelty of the physical items, or collecting.

User is offline   LGN-76 

View PostLunick, on 05 May 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

By definition, shovelware is not good so those discs are not good.

I figured this was gonna be the case, so I won't waste my money.

Thanks for warning me guys.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Almost everything available on those CDs is available on DukeWorld.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 09 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options