Duke4.net Forums: Official Duke4.net Discord server - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official Duke4.net Discord server

I noticed that there was no Discord server for Duke4, and since I know at least a few of us here have Discord, I figured I'd make a server.

EDIT: This is now official. https://discord.gg/qccgJ9v

User is offline   Lunick 

We've just started getting Discord together and there will most likely one made by Hendricks very shortly.

User is offline   Mark 

DELETED

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

As with "VacaHRP 1.5 Unofficial" back in the day, I'm not very accommodating toward unsanctioned use of our project names. Thanks for the thought.

It should probably (and will) happen. I'm just dreading the task of moderating a public Discord server. These things quickly become inundated with complete idiots.

EDIT: Zombie transferred over control of this and we might as well just use it.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 03 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Joined. Would love to arrange some multiplayer matches with the community through here.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I don't know if someone just decided to have fun and block me from all channels, but it says I don't have permission to view the history of any channels.

• Weaponized Autism

I changed a setting that I thought would make it more like IRC. I guess not. Reverted.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

IRC... This isn't 1995 anymore lol

User is offline   Hank 

View PostImaManNotaMachine, on 09 September 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

As a means to "Bring gamers together", to "Unite" them, as stated on the company page of the discord website, I'm certainly not the only one who finds the name "Discord" completely IRONIC, due to the contradiction between the definition of the word discord and the main purpose of the application... Am I?
You do know the meaning of discord, right?

Never thought about it.
Now that I do - you guys kill each other online and then talk with each other at the same time - the name is bang on.
I'm not on Discord, because I play the lonely single player only, but if I do multiplayer, the service seems to be top notch.

This post has been edited by Hank: 09 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostImaManNotaMachine, on 09 September 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

As a means to "Bring gamers together", to "Unite" them, as stated on the company page of the discord website, I'm certainly not the only one who finds the name "Discord" completely IRONIC, due to the contradiction between the definition of the word discord and the main purpose of the application... Am I?
You do know the meaning of discord, right?

Don't stress yourself taking words too literally.

View PostHank, on 09 September 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Never thought about it.
Now that I do - you guys kill each other online and then talk with each other at the same time - the name is bang on.
I'm not on Discord, because I play the lonely single player only, but if I do multiplayer, the service seems to be top notch.

Discord is great as a TeamSpeak replacement, but we mainly use it as text chat, like a 21st century version of IRC. We're approaching 300 members on the Duke4 server.

User is offline   Mark 

It should be called "Disjointed" from the way multiple people are posting back and forth in between other people posting back and forth. Information overload at times. Many times more than one subject being talked about at the same time. I find it annoying but I put up with. Its a way to keep up on whats happening.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

To the moderator who changed my name to "Ratard", and subsequently kicked me, I'm sorry I don't buy into all this mindless fearmongering. With that kind of treatment, I'm sure it's my health and well-being you're concerned with. ;)

Posted Image

Yeah, that kind of thing is pretty common over there, I had someone tamper with my messages once and the mods did nothing (I'd like to know more about this to protect my own server from it) and that was by far the mildest issue. Eventually someone booted me again, seemingly for calling the permanently-transitioning-but-never-really-transitioning trans people for what they are; mentally ill, or so it seemed. Luckily I already had better things to do and so it's neither here nor there to me, though it's odd you mention concerns over health because I genuinely do think a good number of people over there need to grow up and take their meds every once in a while, making everyone else have to deal with your problems just because you're too immature to figure out how to deal with them yourself, or seek the needed help, simply isn't acceptable behavior for an adult and I really don't have time for it any more, I dealt with enough of that when I was in the kids' home already. Ah well, I can't say I'm surprised.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Maybe if you called them "retarded" instead of "mentally ill", that would have been allowed? Posted Image

That's rather naive to think the 'rules' apply the same way to all people.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Rules for thee but not for me.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Lame.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This stuff makes me less and less want to interact with the Discord.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You're complaining about getting shat on the way you shit on the forums? LOL.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 March 2020 - 12:38 PM, said:

This stuff makes me less and less want to interact with the Discord.

I would argue that discussion there is very civil overall, especially compared to many other gaming servers I've seen.

However #offtopic tends to promote outhouse-tier discussion and politics / world views (esp. since #politics got removed for the same reason).
Personally just muted the channel but there seems to be some disagreement once a week on something.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostTerminX, on 12 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

You're complaining about getting shat on the way you shit on the forums? LOL.

This. The truth hurts.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 13 March 2020 - 09:06 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

How about I complain about it then seeing as I don't engage in this behaviour and it's still messed up?

I mean, I don't visit the Discord often anyway so I guess you can ignore me but still.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTea Monster, on 13 March 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

This. The truth hurts.

Except it's not true. Radar is fine.

And if Radar is so shitty then just fucking ban him already , you whiny cucks.

• Polymancer

You guys have had a private members club here for quite a few years. I understand that when you don't get the same treatment elsewhere, you get upset. I understand.

What is it that Radar was supposed to have done anyway? That seems to have been forgotten in the kerfuffle. That might actually be why you got the response that you did.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 14 March 2020 - 02:52 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Are you saying the response he got is deserved?

I don't know if you're including me in that "private members club", but I didn't ask anyone to leave. I just stayed around when so many people left. I'm sure same can be said for others. You talk like there's gatekeeping going on when in fact most people's attitude here as a general forum consensus has been the exact opposite, in my experience; ie- "don't ban anybody", "freedom of any and all expression." Can that drive some people away eventually? Sure, but it's not the gatekeeping it seems like you're insinuating.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 March 2020 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Radar deserved the name change--that's why I did it.

And if he doesn't watch out...

Posted Image

User is online   Sangman 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 May 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'm just dreading the task of moderating a public Discord server. These things quickly become inundated with complete idiots.

;)

• Polymancer

Musically Inspired - I had no idea it was possible to so totally misconstrue what I posted.

Just for one point - if I don't know what he's done, how can I judge if he is guilty or not?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostSangman, on 14 March 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

;)

Ironic considering the mods posts there more than here.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Hendricks is not all moderators.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options