Duke4.net Forums: A small issue with custom sprites - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A small issue with custom sprites

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello, I am currently working on sprites following the excellent videos from cage in Tutorials & Resources topic.
My problem is on the picture below, why the sprite is stretched up in mapster and eduke ? I resize them so it's not big deal anyway, but I am curious. Do I have wrong screen configuration ? Is there a way to correct it ? I use DukeRes to import sprites but I don't think it has something to do with the problem.
Attached Image: pb_sprite.png
and a screen ingame (I play in 1680x1050 and no textures where resized on the screen)
Attached Image: duke0000.png
Thanks in advance
DotK3D

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 28 April 2017 - 04:04 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Multiply the width in the def file by 1.33.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Thanks for the answer Daedolon but I don't use def file for the sprite.
But I have found that setting r_usenewaspect to '0' in eduke32 or using the aspect ratio command in option menu and setting it to other than 'auto' seems to correct the problem :( but it doesn't look to do something in mapster (I use 1024*768 in 3d mode).
Any other idea ?
Thanks in advance,
DotK3D

PS : version for eduke32 is r3521 and same for mapster.

Does your new graphic replace an existing tile, or are you putting it in the "user art" section of the .ART files? If you're replacing an existing tile, then which one is it? Replacing an existing tile might result in some weird things happening, depending on the specific tile you're replacing. (For example, certain things (enemies, items, etc.) get resized to certain sizes during play, regardless of what size you set them to in the map.)

User is offline   DotK3D 

It's new graphics (I use TILES014.ART and I have tried using TILES016.ART to be sure) and I try to be careful with pre existent sprites because I am aware of some hard coding rezising. Since the setting for eduke seems to work, I suppose it's just a mapster aspect ratio configuration problem from my side but I don't know other commands for that in mapster (I haven't noticed this deformation before, but perhaps I wasn't paying attention and not making new sprites yet).
Thanks for the answer anyway,
DotK3D

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's because Duke 3D uses non-square pixels: 320x200 (a 16:10 resolution) squished to 4:3. Disabling r_usenewaspect is the wrong solution.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Ok I think I understand. Since it would be difficult for me to imagine and draw the sprite with the correct ratio, I keep doing them as before and I'll resize them in mapster, like height*0.8 or width*1.2 If I am correct (but I am not good in maths ^^). I just wanted to do sprites for the community stockpile so I test sprites before posting (I have a bit more to do before) when I found that "problem".
Thanks for the answer, You all reacting fast, it's really a pleasure. Thanks again.
Dotk3D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options