Duke4.net Forums: RELEASE medEVIL - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RELEASE medEVIL  "adventure game demo for WGR2"

User is offline   Mark 

This is a small demo to show that you can make an adventure game with the WGR2 mod.I consider it unfinished but playable. There may be bugs and you will find some empty areas ( sorry Micky C )

There are 8 quests to complete. Completing them all is not required to finish the map.Thats one of the unfinished things. When you approach some villagers they will talk to you. If you see one with a yellow exclamation point above their head press the "use" button and they will give you a quest to complete. When you find the item of that quest you can go back to them and press "use" again and if they have a reward for you it will be given at that time. You can press the "R" key any time to open and close a window that shows you your quests. Other features are contained in that window but were not used so ignore them. Quest items do not show in the window, a known bug. You do not have to complete one quest before starting another. A limitation here is that the quest item does not show in the map until the quest is given to the player. So you will end up having to go back to places you have already been earlier.

This is an adventure game but I put in some limited fighting at the end after the quests are completed. Its kind of a leftover area from way back when I was going to make this a shooter map.
In keeping with tradition for all my projects I included one room with a bit of silliness in it. But I broke with tradition by NOT including some little joke about MickyC.

There will be bugs but as of right now I don't plan on taking this demo any farther. After talking with a beta tester I realized some mistakes I made during gameplay creation and if I do another mod like this it will be improved. Hopefully you can have a little fun playing this as-is.

P.S. Some of you who have been around here for years might recognize that the map I used as a base for this was my abandoned Ancient Rome map. Designed for Polymer and 32bit. The title is also a leftover from when it was going to be a shooter mod.

Somebody informed me that I accidently included my personal and unconventional key bindings. You'll have to config to your preferences.

Unzip this file to a clean folder, click on the bat file and play.

THE DOWNLOAD LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED TEMPORARILY. A FEW PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCENES HAVE CONVINCED ME TO REFINE AND FINISH THE PROJECT.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: medEVIL.jpg
  • Attached Image: medEVIL2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

Can we have a .grp + .dat version? This overwrites too much stuff.

User is offline   Mark 

Which is why the instructions explicitly state you should unzip to a clean folder. :blink:

A existing WGR2 folder is not needed to run this. Its self contained.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Mark, I recommend that you post a gameplay highlight video or maybe even a video of a whole playthough, so people can see how cool it is and all the hard work you put into it. Most people aren't willing to invest time installing and playing a project that has been declared unfinished.

Even the entire WGR2 version seems to be customized, only that must required a lot of work (or it is just more advanced because you have access to the latest WGR2 builds in private forum?). I will make a temporary clean folder, but that system should be revised anyway.

Yeah, I know that even the very first versions of WGR2 were organized in this manner.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 14 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

User is offline   Mark 

For various reasons I had to split away from the main project and it's svn. It would have been very difficult to keep merging the WGR2 svn changes with my version that has so many modified cons and assets. When Mike Norvak releases his episode for the newest WGR project it will contain the the full and updated everything from the svn. If you plan on mapping I would wait for that game to release and not use my "broken" version.

TD: I do not have any recording software or youtube account to post video to. I'm not quite in the 21st century yet.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Hank 

I seem to do something wrong here:

[pic removed by OP request - H]

Throughout the map I see text: Quest Item, in different colours, Fake Door etc. Any ideas how to fix this?

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I'll play the game from the download zip and see what happens.

I was able to repeat your issue by running directly from eduke. You should be running the bat file. If you got the regular Siege Breaker menu screen that will confirm it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 14 April 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'll play the game from the download zip and see what happens.

I was able to repeat your issue by running directly from eduke. You should be running the bat file. If you got the regular Siege Breaker menu screen that will confirm it.

I noticed that the coded hud elements were present in his screenshot, which means that some of the CON code was being loaded even when he started without the .bat file. That means that a modified CON file is succesfully being loaded, but not the one specified in your .bat

Make sure you don't have an extra and outdated EDUKE.CON or GAME.CON floating around.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 14 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Mark 

How ever many years ago we split paths, thats how old those files are that I am using. I know you did a lot of updating since then but I didnt update along with you because it was too much trouble to reinsert my existing and new code into yours every time there was an svn change. So yes, my version is old and outdated which is why I mentioned not to use it for anything other than playing my demo.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 14 April 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

How ever many years ago we split paths, thats how old those files are that I am using. I know you did a lot of updating since then but I didnt update along with you because it was too much trouble to reinsert my existing and new code into yours every time there was an svn change. So yes, my version is old and outdated which is why I mentioned not to use it for anything other than playing my demo.

What I'm saying is that you should check for extra CON files floating around in your demo. Your demo release should only include your fork of the code. Also, if someone starts using eduke32.exe and specifies WGR2.GRP as the game content, it will load whatever CONs are in there, which presumably are very old and don't include the code for the shops etc. That's most likely what happened when Hank tried playing.

User is offline   Hank 

Thanks Mark, that did the trick.
A view from the balcony
Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
Now, it's time to have a glass of wine, and go on a quest ...

User is offline   Mark 

I just looked over the file structure. I can't see how anything WGR related gets loaded unless Hank did as you said and checkmarked the box to load WGR2 folder. There are no regular con files in the root folder to load.They are all modified with WGR names. I could be wrong though. We'll have to wait to talk to Hank to find out how he loaded the game. As long as people follow directions it will work. But I see your point about making things more foolproof.

EDIT: Hey that looks great. Reminds me of something I might have made. :blink:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Darn, I forgot the credits. I want to thank Mrs. Teamonster for doing the voices for a few of the ladies and children. I couldn't pull my underwear tight enough to get my voice that high. :blink:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 14 April 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

A view from the balcony
Attachment duke0001.jpg

Let's zoom in on Hank's screenshot:

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostMark., on 14 April 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

But I broke with tradition by NOT including some little joke about MickyC.

You weren't lying :blink:

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey played and it was awesome! Are going to finish this or?

Here some Log errors:

WGR2DEFS.CON:1685: warning: ignored redefinition of `WINGSND' to 484 (old: 467).
WGR2DEFS.CON:1687: warning: ignored redefinition of `DRAGSHOOT' to 486 (old: 469).
WGR2DEFS.CON:1688: warning: ignored redefinition of `DRAGPAIN' to 487 (old: 470).
WGR2DEFS.CON:1689: warning: ignored redefinition of `DRAGDYING' to 488 (old: 471).
WGR2DEFS.CON:1690: warning: ignored redefinition of `BITEME' to

At the begin the ex-Rome map it's dispersive then is just all about memorizing the places and their position, but still tiresome navigate through it without yield to temptation of use IDCLIP and the TAB map doesn't help much. But considering it's good architecture maybe when the map was utilized with his initial purpose returned a completely different feeling.

I can recognize the music from Siege Of Avalon.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not sure. If enough people think this map was fun to play I have a second map that I was originally going to include. All the architecture is there. I would need to create the quests and do more voices which I love to do. I'm not the greatest at it but its a fun and different thing to do for games.

Those are old warnings from the original WGR2 code. I've been ignoring them for a long time. They don't affect anything. But thanks for pointing them out. I'm guessing those issues were fixed in later versions of the TC.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 April 2017 - 06:45 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Somebody informed me that I accidently included my personal and unconventional key bindings. You'll have to config to your preferences.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 April 2017 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Finished. Well done I say. This was a lot of work and hopefully more people will enjoy this sort of game. :blink:

[added] ... a few more steps and ... waiting for the next map
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks for the kind words. So I guess that means I placed enough gold, ammo and health to get through the shooter portion end of the map. Also that you managed to figure out how to open the final door. One of my concerns is that people not familiar with WGR2 features may not get it.

User is offline   Hank 

^ Just in case.
I did not solve the final gate right away, and deleted my comment in the post above to avoid posting a spoiler.
Only 6 quests were completed.
Difficult setting was 'Average Guy'.

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Between this being for Polymer, using models, some hi res graphics and not a vanilla shooter, I knew that I was going to have a very limited amount of people interested in playing this demo. My lack of enthusiasm and marketing hype hasn't helped things either. :blink: Even though a ton of time and effort went into it I was only expecting maybe a dozen or so people trying it. As far as I can tell from responses there have been 3. Even though I had low expectations, only 3 downloads is enough to have me start the search for my crying towel. :D

So even if you didn't download it, lie to me and say you played it just to spare my hurt feelings. :blink:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Out of curiosity -- why does it require duke3d.grp to run? WGR2, which this is based on, runs as a standalone game.

User is offline   Mark 

My mistake. I removed that part from the original post.

• Duke Plus Developer

Mark, I think you should clean up the install a bit, fix a few bugs (I noticed in a screenshot for example that the level complete screen is not displaying the level name correctly -- which could be easily fixed with a line of code), make a trailer and a news article, then release it on Indy DB as MedEVIL chapter 1. It's a few more hours of work, but you'll probably get some good feedback.

User is offline   Mark 

I had to follow the trail among 3 con files to find what line I needed to change for the mapname in the ending hud. I should rework a few of the small rooms into secret rooms. Teamonster gave me some ideas to use for filling up the remaining 2 empty quest spots. Maybe I will work on this a little more and then re-release it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The download link has been removed while I continue to work on the project. I PM'ed with a few guys and they helped to convince me to finish what I started. So as of a few days ago I am officially working on this again.

User is offline   eGraphics 

This looks vary cool. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks.I was busy working on it today. Filling in an empty house with props and I added in another quest and some more voices to go with it. I enlisted the help of TeaMonster for some of the voice work so its not all just me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options