Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Then and Now - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Then and Now

So I've been wondering on ol'Duke lately on the popularity of him and the franchise between the modern era and the heyday of the '90s.. I mean was it common to have positive conversations about the franchise and character back then? Or did it have any relevance at all or was it even acknowledged in gaming world poorly like it is done today?

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 11 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Even back in the 90's 3D Realms got bad mouthed on Dukeworld. It's a Duke Fan tradition to rattle the cages.

Thus from an old fart (me) point of view, same ol same ol.

The owners of the IP have changed; and the aim, from fans and critics, switched from 3D Realms to Gearbox.
You could have positive discussions about Duke Nukem then, and you can have it now. To have a positive discussion about Gearbox is a different matter. :blink:

Thats interesting, but I think 3D Realms did a much better job with the character and the franchise.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 11 April 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Thats interesting, but I think 3D Realms did a much better job with the character and the franchise.

3D Realms were never saints. They shut down fan projects...I believe one of which they said it wasn't needed because Duke Nukem Forever would give fans everything they wanted...and weren't the best when it came to supporting the community at times but they understood the character and the franchise. They made it. Under Gearbox it has been drifting in to total and complete parody.

I guess being a Duke fan is really a tough call to make. I mean I like the character and the games. But when it comes to defending it, it really seems impossible in today's times. I remember back in high school when DNF came out, I liked it and defended it against friends of mine that had no understanding of Duke Nukem. And thanks to Gearbox and their understanding, I almost don't like Duke anymore, but I still carry a small sliver of hope.

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 11 April 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

But when it comes to defending it, it really seems impossible in today's times.

Why would you even bother trying? Under Gearbox Software it isn't worth defending.

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 11 April 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

And thanks to Gearbox and their understanding, I almost don't like Duke anymore, but I still carry a small sliver of hope.

I don't let Gearbox change my opinion on Duke. I count the Gearbox Duke, and the classic Duke as two different Dukes... The old Duke stays intact, and the new one can suck a dick.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 11 April 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

I don't let Gearbox change my opinion on Duke. I count the Gearbox Duke, and the classic Duke as two different Dukes... The old Duke stays intact, and the new one can suck a dick.

That actually makes sense, I'm with you on that fact the Gearbox Duke is a parody and comdey act. Give us back Classic Duke.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Don't ever forget Duke Forever was a 3DRealms made game, Gearbox merely stitched it together and released it.

View PostHulkNukem, on 12 April 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Don't ever forget Duke Forever was a 3DRealms made game, Gearbox merely stitched it together and released it.

I'd say Gearbox still had a large influence on the end released product taking in to consideration they made concept art for Douche Nukem and Randy was bragging about little changes he was making on Twitter before release...and don't forget everything after Forever has been complete dogshit and that was all under Gearbox and Pitchfork.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 11 April 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

They never finished the most anticipated, hyped game, and went down the sewer; so I somewhat disagree.

Not sure how to double quote:
As for defending stuff: George B. once wrote about Duke 3D, (paraphrased from like 17 years ago) "If there is not one thing in the game you dislike, we failed." Even way back when, George knew that to get people talking about a game, it needs a catalyst, even a bad one will do it. So I think the silly over the top aspects of the 'new' Duke are by design.

DNF is an OK game. And I like the 3D model of Duke very much. Looks awesome.

View PostHank, on 12 April 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

They never finished the most anticipated, hyped game, and went down the sewer; so I somewhat disagree.

I think he's more referring to the treatment of the characterization of Duke and the way the franchise is represented which I agree with wholeheartedly as even the third party spin-off games that were developed while being overseen by 3D Realms were rarely ever bad perhaps with the exception of Land of the Babes.

3D Realms are legendary failures. With Prey and Duke Nukem Forever in the mid to late 90s they were on track to be something on the scale of Epic Games today but they fucked up beyond repair due to their complete incompetence at managing projects. That's indisputable. But they know Duke. Gearbox are doing a terrible job warping the franchise in to their own Saints Row style purely parody driven comedy.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 12 April 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

I think he's more referring to the treatment of the characterization of Duke and the way the franchise is represented which I agree with wholeheartedly as even the third party spin-off games that were developed while being overseen by 3D Realms were rarely ever bad perhaps with the exception of Land of the Babes.

3D Realms are legendary failures. With Prey and Duke Nukem Forever in the mid to late 90s they were on track to be something on the scale of Epic Games today but they fucked up beyond repair due to their complete incompetence at managing projects. That's indisputable. But they know Duke. Gearbox are doing a terrible job warping the franchise in to their own Saints Row style purely parody driven comedy.

Characterization is exactly what I mean even in the mist of the DNF fiasco back then, with one exception, Duke was still Duke. Its a shame that Duke of old is seemingly lost to time now except upon use Duke fans.

User is offline   LGN-76 

Some people on here deemed this post offensive, so I deleted it. I apologize for any negativity that stemmed from this.

This post has been edited by LGN-76: 03 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options