Duke4.net Forums: Brutal Duke Criticism - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brutal Duke Criticism

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It was only a matter of time before the Brutal cancer spread to Duke.

View PostJimmy, on 14 October 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Wow, this thread sucks. We've always had decals and Brutal Doom is abhorrent. I wish Sergeant_Mark_IV would get cancer.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 31 March 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

It was only a matter of time before the Brutal cancer spread to Duke.

Why the hostility? I'm sure this is just an innocent effort at making a gore mod. I doubt he knows the history behind Brutal Doom and its creator.

• Weaponized Autism

You're right, there's nothing inherently wrong with this mod. I welcome anyone getting their footing on our platform.

I guess in some sense it's not very creative.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 31 March 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

I guess in some sense it's not very creative.

99% of everything created is not very creative. If he wants to make another gore mod, and especially if he wants to create new death animations (we don't have a lot of those in the community) then I say more power to him.

I can see both sides, but one thing stands out to me;

- Guy comes to the forum,
[QUOTE=Newfag]I've had an idea...[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Oldfag]Fuck off! We don't want ideas! We want actual stuff![/QUOTE]

- Guy comes to the forum, with actual stuff,
[quote name='Newfag]Hey guys' date=' here's my stuff I made for the game, it was an idea but I made it before actually saying anything about it.[/quote']
[QUOTE=Oldfag]Fuck off! We don't want your mods! Come back when you get some different ideas![/QUOTE]

Some days you just can't win, right?

User is offline   Nokiaman 

It's just the BD hatejerk, because it DARED to bring people that don't care about old-school games! Meanwhile I am enjoying both.
BTW cool mod OP. I'll try it soon :blink:

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 01 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

User is offline   RPD Guy 

Well, I was sure I would start a war by posting the mod on this forum...
Thanks to everyone that liked the idea.

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 03 April 2017 - 03:46 AM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostRPD Guy, on 03 April 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Well, I was sure I would start a war by posting the mod on this forum...

Ignore the negativity. I like your mod so far! :blink:

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 April 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

That's so true that hurts.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 31 March 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Why the hostility?

Hostility is for the best.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 31 March 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

99% of everything created is not very creative.

Your posts are bad and you should feel bad. This is the worst thing anyone has ever written on this forum ever.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJimmy, on 03 April 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

This is the worst thing anyone has ever written on this forum ever.

was

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 03 April 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Your posts are bad and you should feel bad. This is the worst thing anyone has ever written on this forum ever.

So when you look at the landscape of entertainment that is produced in today's society: all of the cliche ridden movies, tv shows, copycat fanfiction, copycat mods and games, etc. (and I don't claim to be innocent myself), you are going to tell me that a significant percentage of it actually is genuinely creative and original? And suggesting otherwise, as I did, is the worst thing ever written on this forum?

You see, this is why I tend to think you are trolling. Because it's hard for me to accept that anyone could actually believe some of the things you write.

EDIT: Note that I had said "99% of everything created is not very creative." The word 'very' is important!

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 03 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 03 April 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

was

I take it back.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I hereby rename Poe's Law to Jimmy's Law.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 April 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

So when you look at the landscape of entertainment that is produced in today's society: all of the cliche ridden movies, tv shows, copycat fanfiction, copycat mods and games, etc. (and I don't claim to be innocent myself), you are going to tell me that a significant percentage of it actually is genuinely creative and original? And suggesting otherwise, as I did, is the worst thing ever written on this forum?

You see, this is why I tend to think you are trolling. Because it's hard for me to accept that anyone could actually believe some of the things you write.

EDIT: Note that I had said "99% of everything created is not very creative." The word 'very' is important!

Because you're not very smart, Dan. I didn't say what you said was incorrect. I said it was a bad post, and it was. The fact that 99% of things are shit was your excuse for people making shitty stuff. "Well if everything is shit why criticize someone for making more shit?" Which totally explains why your garbage mods exist.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 03 April 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

Because you're not very smart, Dan. I didn't say what you said was incorrect. I said it was a bad post, and it was. The fact that 99% of things are shit was your excuse for people making shitty stuff. "Well if everything is shit why criticize someone for making more shit?" Which totally explains why your garbage mods exist.

I didn't say that 99% of things are shit, I said that 99% are not very creative. There's an important difference. Yes, ideally, what we create should be original. But in most cases, what is original and distinctive about it only comprises a very small part -- for some people, none at all. However, there is still value to be had in relatively unoriginal work. New entries in a well-worn genre can still be entertaining and well-executed. For a modder, the process of creating, even mere imitation, can be an important learning experience that can lead to better quality work later on.

As for my own work, I think I can safely say without fear of contradiction that some of the projects I have worked on are very good. Keep in mind that by calling my work garbage, you are also impugning some very talented and respected members of the community I have collaborated with, such as Gambini, William Gee, and many others.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

I think RPD Guy finally got the war he was expecting...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 April 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

I didn't say that 99% of things are shit, I said that 99% are not very creative. There's an important difference. Yes, ideally, what we create should be original. But in most cases, what is original and distinctive about it only comprises a very small part -- for some people, none at all. However, there is still value to be had in relatively unoriginal work. New entries in a well-worn genre can still be entertaining and well-executed. For a modder, the process of creating, even mere imitation, can be an important learning experience that can lead to better quality work later on.

Un-creative things are shit. I could see someone who lacks creativity thinking there is a difference.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 April 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

As for my own work, I think I can safely say without fear of contradiction that some of the projects I have worked on are very good. Keep in mind that by calling my work garbage, you are also impugning some very talented and respected members of the community I have collaborated with, such as Gambini, William Gee, and many others.

Hiding behind your collaborators, that's hilarious. How Randy Pitchford of you.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Posted Image

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

View PostRPD Guy, on 31 March 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Posted Image

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 03 April 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Jimmy, you evidently lack the capacity to evaluate how creativity is involved in writing code.

I once had a private conversation with Mblackwell in which he praised my gravity gun. I pointed out that the way I did it was pretty simple, but he said that "I never would have thought of doing it that way." (Likewise, there are lots of things he has done with code where I wouldn't have thought of doing it). But the point is, that's a kind of creativity. When I made the weather generation code for DukePlus, JBlade recognized the code as a good innovation that replaced the necessity of putting a lot of weather sprites in maps. I could go on and on, and to your credit, you have made me feel that I should -- I'm sure that is one of your goals, so I tip my proverbial hat to you for achieving it.

But seriously, my work has played a large part in a majority of major releases after 2006 (not all, of course) in this community that use significant amounts of scripting code. Even projects that are definitely not mine (like AMC TC) use significant chunks of code that I have developed for various purposes. And when it comes to my own projects, such as DukePlus (and its various side projects such as Duke Nukem Eternity), WGR2 (with WG of course), Attrition, Duke Forces -- you may not like them, but they are good, fun projects and have a lot of value, despite their flaws. You clearly have no idea how much creativity went into all that work. Developing countless features, coding scores of different enemies and weapons. A lot of it is run-of-the-mill and derivative, but some of it is definitely not, and unless you have taken the time to play through all those games, you just don't know.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You sure are triggered, mate.

And to note, I've been coding for Duke 3D much longer than you have, before the advent of even Matt Saettler's EDuke.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 03 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 03 April 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

You sure are triggered, mate.

And to note, I've been coding for Duke 3D much longer than you have, before the advent of even Matt Saettler's EDuke.

Yes, you triggered me. You can insult me personally all you want and it doesn't bother me, but when you say that my work is shit, it pisses me off. Especially when I'm pretty sure you have never given it a fair shake.

And yes, you have been around the community forever.

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 April 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

"Spot - On" & 1 of the reasons I don't bother mapping anymore, that and the fact that Jon st. John is liberal cunt.

View PostMetHy, on 02 April 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

I don't mind the idea but I think you should pick another name for the mod. If you know Brutal Doom you know half of the people hate it and it's going to cause a shitstorm, plus it comes off as unoriginal.

There's unoriginal and smart marketing - I'd keep the name

Un-creative things are shit. I could see someone who lacks creativity thinking there is a difference.

Artistic differences aside

True masterpieces like Enderal simply cannot be done as well in most older game engines & require a yuge amount of effort, not to say there isn't any good ones.

View PostLunick, on 03 April 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

I think RPD Guy finally got the war he was expecting...

I am satisfied. <- (That's not true)

You know, I'm impressed.
It's just me or every time somebody start a new thread here in this forum, people just come discussing each other about things that have nothing to do with the thread's title?

Here in Brazil we call this: TRETA = Threaten

Guys here are "threatening" each other :blink:

Now let's talk about blood, gore and guts please.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This forum is basically like Road Warrior, with the occasional touch of Thunderdome.

Still need to give your mod a shot, but I'm pleased to see you appeared to have made your own art edits and code from scratch.

User is offline   Forge 

This is un-creative. This is shit:
Posted Image
Depicts people - been done before
Depicts Christ & Disciples - been done before
Steals idea for scene from a book somebody else wrote
Uses typical and mundane color pigments
Painted on a wall - been done before

Your syllogism is flawed. But at least you found one of Dan's buttons to push, and you brought attention to this mod thread.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Is it a flaw if it was intentionally placed there???

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRPD Guy, on 04 April 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Now let's talk about blood, gore and guts please.

If you request it, I will delete all the shit posts and the replies to them so this thread can be on topic.

EDIT: Ok, done, as per request below. For the record, the posts are now hidden from view but still exist. There were actually some decent posts that got caught in that, but they were off-topic. Criticism of the mod is on-topic, of course, but it veered off into very OT territory.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 04 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options