Duke4.net Forums: Uber-Noob Question! How To Force OpenGL? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uber-Noob Question! How To Force OpenGL?  "how to force opengl?"

User is offline   gobliin 

Hello all. I just discovered eduke32 and the HRP, and am very impressed. I tried to get eduke32 running on my machine, and it ran, with no problem other than it won't let me use opengl. I read on the eduke32 site that my gfx chip is blacklisted (intel). There is mention of forcing opengl to run using the BUILD_FORCEGL environment variable. I found where to modify environment variables, but this option is not present.

How do I do this? I'm quite sure my system can handle this game at hi res with opengl, even with my intel chipset.

sys specs:

2.2 ghz core2
3gb 667mhz ram
intel gma3100

I know the intel integrated chips have a bad rep, but I have no issues running anything on this machine, from old win95 games to newer games from the past couple years.

thanks in advance!

Create a shortcut ".Bat" file for Eduke32.exe and insert " -forcegl " parameter in this .bat.

User is offline   gobliin 

View PostFantinaikos, on May 14 2009, 01:18 PM, said:

Create a shortcut ".Bat" file for Eduke32.exe and insert " -forcegl " parameter in this .bat.

i see, thank you! do i include the quotation marks? (i really am quite noobish!LOL)

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

no

User is offline   faint333 

I have this same problem, i dont seem to have any bat files in the dir. and i was going crazy trying to edit the .cfg file. :P i don't really understand making a shortcut from an exe to a bat file? and adding in -forcegl.

User is offline   eddym4814 

View Postfaint333, on May 19 2009, 01:33 AM, said:

I have this same problem, i dont seem to have any bat files in the dir. and i was going crazy trying to edit the .cfg file. :P i don't really understand making a shortcut from an exe to a bat file? and adding in -forcegl.

Try this: Attached File  Force_GL.zip (189bytes)
Number of downloads: 958

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Open notepad and add this line.

EDuke32.exe -forcegl

Then save the text document as what ever you want to call it, BUT put .BAT on the end of the extension.

Then place the new .bat file in the same folder where you have Eduke32.exe and launch the bat file.

Posted Image

EDIT: Or you could use Eddy's attachment.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 18 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

User is offline   faint333 

EDIT: i guess it was just the graphics driver for the nvidia. there's probably no way to get the 3d going on the netbook i guess though :P stupid intel gma950!

strange, it seemed like it wanted to boot up with that new file (thanks eddy) but when it set the screen size it just flashed and quit out. Did this with both my comps, first a little netbook (not surprised about that one not working) and then with my pc p4 3ghz and a 6600gt (not great but should be plenty for this right)?

This post has been edited by faint333: 19 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

View Postfaint333, on May 19 2009, 12:37 PM, said:

EDIT: i guess it was just the graphics driver for the nvidia. there's probably no way to get the 3d going on the netbook i guess though :P stupid intel gma950!

strange, it seemed like it wanted to boot up with that new file (thanks eddy) but when it set the screen size it just flashed and quit out. Did this with both my comps, first a little netbook (not surprised about that one not working) and then with my pc p4 3ghz and a 6600gt (not great but should be plenty for this right)?

Eduke32 should work with a P4 and 6600GT. Try this: Put a copy of EDuke32 in an empty folder. Add the duke3d.grp file ONLY. Click on EDuke32.exe. Chose a screen resolution, check full screen, then chose yes to the questions that pop up. Let us know what happens.

Edit: I was assuming that EDuke32 did not work at all. Try the above instructions in 8bit first. (Example 800x600x8) If it works then change it to 32 bit. (Example 800x600x32)

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 19 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Im pretty sure 8bit will work even on the crappiest of PC's.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 19 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

Im pretty sure 8bit will work even on the crappiest of PC's.

That is true. The point I was trying to make is to start simple. Get Eduke32 to work with the duke3d.grp file in 8 bit first. If it works then try 32 bit. If that works then add the HRP or a different mod. By doing it this way it will be easier to troubleshoot any problems.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options