Duke4.net Forums: Brutal Duke Mod (Alpha Release) (Work in Progress) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brutal Duke Mod (Alpha Release) (Work in Progress)  "In game brutalization"

User is offline   RPD Guy 

Hey community,

About a year I've been working on a mod that brutalizes the game. (Still working)
I was inspired, of course, by Brutal Doom. B)

I don't know if there's already a mod called "Brutal Duke" ... if there is one, it will not matter, since mine is not an official mod... I know that many mods around here increase blood and gore too. ;)

After a long time, I decided to release my alpha version.
This "Brutal Mod" simply increase the blood effects. (Floor, wall and ceiling decals, bloodspray effects, jibs, shells, actors and some sound effects ...) :blink:

Also, I've done two new deaths animations for troop.
To trigger one of them, just kill one of those maggots with a Shotgun when you are closer to them or kick them in the face when in "suffering state". :blink:

All effects have been made by myself. I've re-used many sprites from the game and from other games.

Right now the mod is stored on Bitbucket. Further on I'll open the repository to public access.

Download & Enjoy: Click HERE (GRP not included)

Warning: This is an working very very very ALPHA! Maybe there will be some small bugs... Send them to me if you notice one. :D

Hope you enjoy! :D

Attached Image: 1.png
Attached Image: 2.png
Attached Image: 3.png
Attached Image: 4.png
Attached Image: 5.png
Attached Image: 6.png

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 19 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Back in the early 2000s there was a gore mod called SD_Duke which had new blood, gore, wall splats, bullet casings on the ground, etc. Those effects got improved and rolled into other mods, such as DukePlus. People may or may not be interested in another standalone gore mod. The new death animations would be of most interest to people I think. It is always good to have more animations.

This is great. I haven't played many gore mods for Duke 3D, closest thing would the HRP one. I enjoyed myself, I would love for some other animations in the future, if you could make them. Maybe you could do something similar for the Enforcers and Pig Cops. Not the hugest fan of using the new lines, or the health, but they can get a pass because of how fun this is.
I have a few suggestions as you go further: 1. Use heavier music. If you want to make it up to par with Brutal Doom, find some good, and heavy, remakes of the Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack. There are some good ones on YouTube. 2. Make the weapons sound, and feel, like they're much more badass. The Golden Eagle sound effect was a nice touch, but make its power equal to its sound.
Now you can take my suggestions, or you can shove 'em, it's up to you. Just thought I'd throw my opinions out there. :blink:

EDIT: Here's something along the lines of what I was talking about with the music:

This post has been edited by Never Forgotten: 31 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

This guy is doing something similar. Maybe you should work together?

https://forums.duke4...ke-coming-soon/

Played some of this mod. The gore effects are pretty awesome! But awww man you included the Duke lines from World Tour where Jon sounds like he's bordering on shooting himself in the face from boredom..gonna delete them from the autoload directory straight away :blink:

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 31 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

I was playing Toxic Dump, and encountered a glitch: When you get shrunk, you don't grow back. You start to, but when you do, you shrink back. You can't use the hotkey to activate the steroids, which is the fastest way I've found to get out of being shrunk. If you use the inventory keys to use it, then it works and you grow, but your fists stay up. When the steroids run out, you shrink again. Just thought I'd let you know. :blink:

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

[edited so it's not replying to phantom posts]

As for the mod itself, sd duke comes to mind indeed. Custom art is definitely something that is of interest. Ill probably try this out at some point :blink:

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 04 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Oh hi RDP, it's fine that you released your mod at last :blink: I appreciate that and i'll have an accurate look tomorrow :blink:

As for similarities between this mod and my KADuke (progressing very slow in this period), a Brutal Duke should have gore as focus point, while mine has a lot of features around, mainly items. A problem can income when we start to think and include same features in different mods, while we both look at Brutal Doom... fatalities and alt deaths expecially.
(I said i'd have included them in some KADuke updates in my topic).

I was contacted by RDP some months ago to try this mod out, and as you can see the sprite style is very fine (true dukish) and different from mine. There are very good sounds, too, and pretty nice ideas i did not explored completely for lack of time, so i hope to have a better look now.

As for "Brutal cancer spreads to Duke", well i think there are not many gore mods about duke... IIRC, the first was SD_Duke by Dan, which expanded later in other its project, like WMD, DP and Attrition. There is KA in progress, and this. And RDP said that he just decied to release ITS version and there are no problem with that.

User is offline   necroslut 

As someone else mentioned, getting shrunk is broken. Otherwise, nice mod. I like that the blood/gore is not as excessive as in many other mods of this type. The new trooper deaths are neat.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 01 April 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

IIRC, the first was SD_Duke by Dan, which expanded later in other its project, like WMD, DP and Attrition

No that wasn't by me. It was by Hellbound, Parkar and Dr Kill. It also had some HRP related stuff that wasn't gore, such as improved smoke and freezing effects. I did take some of their work and expand on it, especially with code.

User is offline   axl 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 31 March 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

99% of everything created is not very creative. If he wants to make another gore mod, and especially if he wants to create new death animations (we don't have a lot of those in the community) then I say more power to him.

I say, anything that can give a boost to Duke's popularity and attracts more fans, is fine by me. So I agree.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought there was already someone working on a Brutal Duke? Except he called it something else...

EDIT: Yeah, this guy. https://forums.duke4...ke-coming-soon/

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I liked kicking their heads off. :blink: :blink:

User is offline   MetHy 

I don't mind the idea but I think you should pick another name for the mod. If you know Brutal Doom you know half of the people hate it and it's going to cause a shitstorm, plus it comes off as unoriginal.

User is offline   supergoofy 

I like the idea of such mod.

my suggestion for name: Bloody Duke Mod or Bloody Mad Duke

:blink:

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 02 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

So it seems like duke3d.grp is included? Please don't distribute that. For now I'm going to remove the download link and you can reupload your mod without it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 02 April 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

I don't mind the idea but I think you should pick another name for the mod. If you know Brutal Doom you know half of the people hate it and it's going to cause a shitstorm, plus it comes off as unoriginal.

Plus compared to Brutal Doom the changes are relatively minor, and some people expecting an equivalent amount of changes might be disappointed.

View PostMblackwell, on 02 April 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

So it seems like duke3d.grp is included? Please don't distribute that. For now I'm going to remove the download link and you can reupload your mod without it.

Fixed

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostRPD Guy, on 03 April 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Well, I was sure I would start a war by posting the mod on this forum...
Tanks to everyone that liked the idea.

I wasn't having a go at your mod. I was just pointing out that Brutal Doom has been in development for many years and over that time has had a large degree of changes well beyond the cosmetic. It's difficult to compete with that scope right off the bat.

View Postnecroslut, on 01 April 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

As someone else mentioned, getting shrunk is broken. Otherwise, nice mod. I like that the blood/gore is not as excessive as in many other mods of this type. The new trooper deaths are neat.

Thanks! I'll fix this.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 31 March 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

I was playing Toxic Dump, and encountered a glitch: When you get shrunk, you don't grow back. You start to, but when you do, you shrink back. You can't use the hotkey to activate the steroids, which is the fastest way I've found to get out of being shrunk. If you use the inventory keys to use it, then it works and you grow, but your fists stay up. When the steroids run out, you shrink again. Just thought I'd let you know. :blink:

Will be fixed! :blink:
Thanks!

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,

I think a simple enhance mode with just new death animations, bits of blood, bullet holes on floor / ceiling and so on is a good idea.

I have just tried it quickly. The gore effects and explosions are nice, except on slopes and walls made partly from floor raised up and partly from ceiling raised down (don't know if I am clear).
I think that sliding the big splats on wall doesn't look really good. The blood pools don't enlarge smoothly, I don't know if it's possible to fix it. Also the head ripped of trooper seem a bit small.
The shotgun animation death for the trooper is a bit to long IMHO, really looks like a Mortal Kombat fatality to me ^^ (I dream of a liztroop flying over the room and smack on a wall after a close range shotgun hit, slowly sliding on floor, leaving a big trail of blood on the wall... ahem, sorry ^^), still the kick in the head is nice. Will you plan something like shooting and kicking corpses and body parts ? Or had other "mercy" kills to baddies ?
Walking sounds are nice, but sometimes Duke talk is weird for the new sentences (or perhaps not so new but I don't know some of them).

Could you list the features, it will be quicker to test it please.

Finally it's a good start I think, but I am not expert, I have only tried Duke Plus as enhancement and even if it have really cool stuff, I haven't play more than a few maps with it.

Thanks for sharing and Bye
DotK3d

PS : How about R.I.B.S mod for the name (Red Is Best Sauce...) ? With Duke holding a bottle of red BBQ sauce on the starting screen ? No, ok... I leave quietly... ^^

User is offline   Kyanos 

I had an idea for another new death animation, this for the Octobrain, horns over tentacles death spin. I did a rough animation using the hrp model.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Drek: 03 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

Death roll for the Octobrain isn't a bad idea! Maybe when they take damage their eyes explode or something? Can't wait to see what this evolves into :blink:

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostRPD Guy, on 03 April 2017 - 03:22 AM, said:

Fixed

Thank you.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

As a fan of Brutal Doom, I like this, it has great potential, just like Kickass Duke.

I fully agree with making more death animations for the enemies, we really need more of them.

Something you should also keep in mind is rather than making it just a "Brutal" version of Duke, you should make it relate to Duke more than Doom.
Like Brutal Doom is all about being as violent as possible cause that's Doomguy, but Duke, he's having fun doing what he does so the kills should reflect that.

Like maybe have it when a Trooper is in the "Suffering" animation, Duke can shove a pipebomb into it's mouth and detonate it, or even in the other end which make the "Blow it out your ass" line perfect.
Maybe even rip off their heads and be able to throw them back at the enemies like Serious Sam 3.

You know, the kind of kills that would be worthy of witty oneliners rather than angry and violent ones.

Working!

Looking forward to seeing more. :blink:

Hey guys!

I've fixed:

• Shrunk bug (not growing after being shrunk)

I've added:

• Beta Pigcop leg jibs
  • Fading effect for blood decals (floor decals only, gotta find a way to do on wall decals too :blink: )

I've removed:

• Ugly "floor explosion decal" (I'll use it further)

(Other small changes have been made to improve gameplay) - Download link updated

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 18 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

Nice update. Noticed that each single gib produces a noise which can be annoying at times. Would be better if gibbing and exploding enemies were just a pair of sounds...like exploding melon and splashing sound instead of each gib having its own squish as it hits the ground...

Only suggestions gameplay wise would be kicking open doors which I think DukePlus supports to speed up pace of gameplay and liz troopers that come crashing to the ground could maybe explode in to gibs instead of just dying on the ground.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 17 April 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

Nice update. Noticed that each single gib produces a noise which can be annoying at times. Would be better if gibbing and exploding enemies were just a pair of sounds...like exploding melon and splashing sound instead of each gib having its own squish as it hits the ground...

Only suggestions gameplay wise would be kicking open doors which I think DukePlus supports to speed up pace of gameplay and liz troopers that come crashing to the ground could maybe explode in to gibs instead of just dying on the ground.

That's amazing... I'll do that. Thanks for your suggestions! :blink:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options