Duke4.net Forums: Levitation effect? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Levitation effect?

User is offline   Sanek 

In a countless 2D platformers and 3D games too, you can often see some object (like a weapon) levitating. Is that possible to do such a thing for duke's weapons?
Is it possible to do by code? Or you have to do the whole thing manually, i.e. draw new tiles?

User is offline   Mark 

If you use models that movement can be put into it's animation. Or it can be coded in the game to bounce up and down like you describe.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Technically you can have floating weapons if you use expert mode and put the sprite in to a sector that's behind it (behind a maskwall for example) and have it higher than the sector the player is, but this is only for single use and requires quite heavy workarounds.

But I'd go honestly for a CON code pickup takes the floor Z, offsets enough units above it and maybe have a simple sinewave float to it.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostSanek, on 21 March 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

In a countless 2D platformers and 3D games too, you can often see some object (like a weapon) levitating. Is that possible to do such a thing for duke's weapons?
Is it possible to do by code? Or you have to do the whole thing manually, i.e. draw new tiles?

either or. Like oaisz mentioned, the easiest way would be to just alter the pickup actor's z position via con coding.

If you don't mind more old school methods, you could also always change the specific tile's offsets with something like DukeRes, though the drawbacks for that are that it only changes the way the tile is displayed (not the actor's actual properties), and it would also take multiple tiles to animate a bobbing effect like you're used to seeing in other games.

This post has been edited by CruX: 21 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options