Duke4.net Forums: idea for an app - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

idea for an app

maybe we will have an Duke4.net app? what do you guys think?

How about a feature list? For starters, notification whenever TerminX/Hendricks post new Duke 3D beta stuff.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Can't you do that right now by just subscribing for email notifications for the beta thread?

E-mails? What year is it, 1999? If I don't get a push notification about something on my phone, then it doesn't exist. Get on with the times, dad!

:P

User is online   blizzart 

View PostDuke Fan - Kobi Shapiro, on 13 March 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

maybe we will have an Duke4.net app? what do you guys think?

Should be possible with a Phonegap/Ionic hybrid app. News and site contents could be displayed by using the WordPress REST API.
Anyways, I donĀ“t think it makes much sense / is worth the effort.

So it should be clear, what that app should offer compared to a responsive website.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Our updated forum software (whenever we get around to it) should be properly usable in a mobile web browser. The main site should already be.

I've been considering what it would be like if we maintained a development blog like what the Dolphin project does. However, that would only be yet another thing to occupy more time.

And we might as well focus our community outreach on the prequel for now.

Though upcoming overdue project releases should generate plenty of fanfare on its own.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCryptKiller, on 13 March 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

E-mails? What year is it, 1999? If I don't get a push notification about something on my phone, then it doesn't exist. Get on with the times, dad!

:P

You don't get push notifications for emails on your phone?

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 March 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Our updated forum software (whenever we get around to it) should be properly usable in a mobile web browser.
The hell kind of mobile browsers are people using that the current forum software isn't properly usable on? Cos I've very little to complain about, and I often read and post from my phone.

• The Sarien Encounter

It works but it's using a generic theme and it restricts access to certain functions like the voting system. It also displays personal photos as avatars instead of the actual avatar.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 March 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

It works but it's using a generic theme and it restricts access to certain functions like the voting system. It also displays personal photos as avatars instead of the actual avatar.
I don't know about the voting system but clearly one of us is doing something strange because this thread -- specifically looking at Hendricks266's avatar next to his post -- looks pretty much exactly the same on my phone as it does on the laptop I'm posting this from, with the sole exception of the screen width.

• The Sarien Encounter

I assume some people either don't have personal photos uploaded or use the same image for both avatar and photo. but whatever the reason, I am definitely seeing alternate avatar images for certain forum members.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

Don't know what else to tell ya, bro. I specifically went back and checked my phone only to see a smarmy smiley face for Hendricks266's avatar next to his post, not a green mushroom cloud or whatever it is.

Kawa, do you have the dark duke4.net theme on mobile, or the default white one?

User is offline   Kawa 

It's dark.

1. I have no idea what a "Push Notification" is. I'd guess they're nothing to do with PUSHD and POPD though, my only guess is that they're like Pokes or some such.

2. This is a website is it not? Don't most phones connect to the web these days? Even my 2003 Morpheus could load Duke4.net on WAP. Why would a website need its own client application? Isn't that what the browser does already?

3. Doesn't the forum have an RSS feed? I am sure I had that in my old browser ticker bar, that would give you instant updates on what is going on around the forums.

Also, you mean to tell me people don't use e-mail any more? How the hell do people talk to each other then? Or is the internet now anti-social enough that people really don't talk that much now - this wouldn't surprise me, given how rarely people reply or comment on most YouTube channels, hint to budding YouTuers; engage your audience, or your audience will go elsewhere.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostKawa, on 15 March 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

That is...not the mobile theme. That's the desktop theme.

View PostHigh Treason, on 15 March 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

1. I have no idea what a "Push Notification" is. I'd guess they're nothing to do with PUSHD and POPD though, my only guess is that they're like Pokes or some such.

It's just a (not so) fancy term for an audible notification on your phone.

Also, you mean to tell me people don't use e-mail any more? How the hell do people talk to each other then?

Geez, man, get with the times. It's 2017, donchaknow. Everybody uses Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Snapchat, and Instagram now. Emails are just for confirming your accounts, 2-step verification now, and sales spam.

Or is the internet now anti-social enough that people really don't talk that much now - this wouldn't surprise me, given how rarely people reply or comment on most YouTube channels, hint to budding YouTuers; engage your audience, or your audience will go elsewhere.

What YouTube channels are you watching? They're flooded with comments. Either far too many for a content creator to respond to, or far too vitriolic for anyone to take the time to grace with attention. YouTube comments are the next darkest thing to 4chan-pitch black.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 March 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

It's just a (not so) fancy term for an audible notification on your phone.

I see. Doesn't RSS do that? There was a Java Applet that could to that on my old Morpheus - only down-side being it wasn't practical back then because it would have cost a fortune to leave the WAP connected all the time as well as preventing the phone from taking calls.

Geez, man, get with the times. It's 2017, donchaknow. Everybody uses Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Snapchat, and Instagram now. Emails are just for confirming your accounts, 2-step verification now, and sales spam.

Nobody I know really uses any of these and I have no idea what the last two are. I only discovered Reddit about two weeks ago and it took me a while to realize what it was. Initially I was simply laughing at the site, having spent so long to move from the ancient linear-threaded FPSE ASP Forum design from the 90s to something more modern, taking the piss out of what I assumed to be a small-time site operator like me running this ghastly outdated software with an unusable layout only to then realize it was this "Reddit" that people mention occasionally. I don't imagine it will ever catch on to be honest, those linear thread "discussion webs" died years ago.
Then again, I still don't know what people mean when they use the word dank now, as they often don't appear to be describing a damp, musty space. I also can't figure out why Ayla Mao is relevant to anything as there don't appear to be any notable people with this name outside of China or Asian immigrants to Italy. Nor do I know why people keep referencing underpants when they post pictures of Pepe.

Besides, what if I want to send attachments or send mail to multiple people? The interface on such sites, such as Facebook, appears far too clunky to do this effectively when compared to even the most primitive e-mail client. It probably also helps that a large percentage of my communication is done in real life and, to be honest, me and the people I speak to often have other things to do when we're not speaking to each other anyway, leaving little time to dick around with novelty websites.

What YouTube channels are you watching? They're flooded with comments. Either far too many for a content creator to respond to, or far too vitriolic for anyone to take the time to grace with attention. YouTube comments are the next darkest thing to 4chan-pitch black.

Then I suggest you find some new channels, because the ones you are watching sound shit. The only channels I see this on are large sell-out channels that generally can't make anything even remotely constructive or informative anyway, or else channels that want to be large sell-out channels but haven't gotten network partnership yet, both of which generally have dumb audiences that I wouldn't want to be a part of. To me it only seems fair that if someone puts in the time to watch a video and write a comment, that the creator takes some time to read that comment and engage with their viewer. Granted there comes a point where you can't get through every comment, but you could at least try. I consider it rude to completely ignore the viewer, this isn't TV. I can't stand channels where the creator has a "holier than thou" attitude to their audience and it always depresses me to see people in the comments referring to them as an outside party because they know nothing they say is being paid the slightest bit of attention.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 17 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options