Duke4.net Forums: Where can I learn on how to mod Duke 3D? - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where can I learn on how to mod Duke 3D?

User is offline   Duke-Quakem 

  • -1

#1

I'm new to the Duke4 forum and I can't seem to find any tutorials for level editing/coding/anything for Duke 3D.

I want to learn how to do a mod where the healing mechanic is like the one in Manhattan Project where you restore health by killing enemies so help a bro out won't you?
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor
  • 3,398

#2

Welcome. If you want to mod Duke, then you'll want to work with EDuke32, a modern source port. You can find the wiki for it here: http://wiki.eduke32....wiki/Main_Page. It has all kinds of information to do with everything from compiling the executable, to making maps, to working with art and code, the latter of which would probably interest you the most.

For level editing specifically, this guide is considered the best, as everything is well-explained an illustrated with pictures: http://infosuite.duke4.net/

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!
2

User is offline   Anvil 

  • 20

#3

 Duke-Quakem, on 02 March 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

I want to learn how to do a mod where the healing mechanic is like the one in Manhattan Project where you restore health by killing enemies so help a bro out won't you?

The Seventh Son TC uses such a healing mechanic.
0

User is offline   Duke-Quakem 

  • -1

#4

View PostAnvil, on 04 March 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

The Seventh Son TC uses such a healing mechanic.


Either I can't get it to work properly, or you lied to me.
-1

User is offline   Hank 

  • 1,556

#5

 Duke-Quakem, on 12 July 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

Either I can't get it to work properly, or you lied to me.

Did you study the code?
Sample at line 4419, of the game.con file.
addphealth 10

when an actor dies, get 10 health points, if conditions are met.
Should work.

here is the entire code
Spoiler


The things I don't know could fill libraries.

This post has been edited by Hank: 12 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

2

User is offline   Anvil 

  • 20

#6

View PostDuke-Quakem, on 12 July 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

Either I can't get it to work properly, or you lied to me.

You screwed up twice: first, failing to get it work properly, and then suggesting the possibility that I lied to you. Why should I lie to you? Maybe my answer was just wrong? (And it wasn't.)

This post has been edited by Anvil: 13 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

0

User is offline   Big Bene 

  • Youngloov
  • 7

#7

View PostAnvil, on 13 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

You screwed up twice: first, failing to get it work properly, and then suggesting the possibility that I lied to you. Why should I lie to you? Maybe my answer was just wrong? (And it wasn't.)
Well, to me it seems he was aware he didn't get it work and just added then second possibility as a joke. It's so obviousely impossible, it was just ment to emphasize the first possibility.

Having said this, I think this is a rather far-fetched goal for a beginner who needs tutorials on mapping (just like me). But perhaps I misunderstood this point.
0

User is offline   Duke-Quakem 

  • -1

#8

View PostHank, on 12 July 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Did you study the code?
Sample at line 4419, of the game.con file.
addphealth 10

when an actor dies, get 10 health points, if conditions are met.
Should work.

here is the entire code
Spoiler



Hey, sorry for the late reply. The good news is that it worked when I shot the alien to death, but the bad news is that it doesn't work with stuff like the freeze ray and RPG. It only works with the bullet shooting guns like the pistol and shotgun. Is there a way that I can just make a line of code that will make it happen when they die in general?
0

User is offline   Mark. 

  • Honored Donor
  • 2,034

#9

I'm guessing that somewhere in your code the "ifweapon" command is being used which specifies only the weapons you tell it to use. If you use "ifhitweapon" it will react to all weapons.
0

User is offline   Duke-Quakem 

  • -1

#10

View PostMark., on 11 November 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'm guessing that somewhere in your code the "ifweapon" command is being used which specifies only the weapons you tell it to use. If you use "ifhitweapon" it will react to all weapons.


So do I just make a whole new line of code, or do I just replace something "ifhitweapon"?
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options