Duke4.net Forums: A.Dream 2 V2.0 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A.Dream 2 V2.0

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hi everyone. Long time no see. Well, it's been a long time since I've been doing something DN3D related. I have moved to other things (mostly vinyl related), but decided to make a small comeback.

One thing bothered me all these years, and it's the original standalone version of A.Dream sequel which was released in 2009. To put it simply, it just sucks. I was too lazy to make a proper sequel, so I just took parts of my unfinished projects and combined them together with some CON hacks. For example, the beginning with the car crash was supposed to be a first level of TC I never finished, and docks area was also supposed to be a beginning of a horror map. Also, the flashlight in the original A.Dream 2 doesn't work properly.

So, basically, I tried to make this version more fun and playable. I added polymer lighting, a working flashlight, an extra monster and weapon to make the action less repetitive, a couple of new scares and areas, and other things. Don't expect much, this is nothing special, just a less shitty version of the original.

You may ask, why update original A.Dream 2 when there's a version of A.Dream 2 from A.dream trilogy? Well, let's say standalone A.Dream 2 is an alternative timeline. Besides, Dream 2 from A.dream trilogy have became a completely different map anyway, with new areas and lack of action, so there's still reason to play A.Dream 2 V2.0 and see the alternative ending to the series. Also, I really wanted to use polymer flashlight effect by Darkus.

Download: https://www.mediafir...94d347k4lbgwv2y (requies polymer!)

If you're not familiar with A.Dream series, here's the link to the first map.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 02 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

User is offline   Polunka 

Just played it. Liked it a lot, but I didn't see any major changes over the original (except Polymer support; the new flashlight effect is awesome, to say the least). Actually, I liked the original (as much as I like this version) and don't think it sucks, but you're rightful to judge for yourself since you're the author.
I see you've got rid of the cellar maze section as well as the sewer section with those baby screams in the background (the latter part, btw, scared the fuck out of me the last time I played it, I even remember almost fainting at one point, that was such a strong impression), thus making the map shorter.
I liked the new monster as well, the SFX are cool and fighting it is a tough thing, which means more action.
Anyway, I liked this level, the horror atmosphere is still quite convincing and immersive.

P.S.: I have a feeling I'm confusing A.dream 2 with some other horror level (probably even from another mapper) while talking about the cellar and sewer sections. Hope I'm not wrong here.

EDIT: Just read your post in full and realised you're not promising any big changes. Well, whatever, why not point out the obvious? :P

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

View PostPolunka, on 02 March 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

I see you've got rid of the cellar maze section as well as the sewer section with those baby screams in the background (the latter part, btw, scared the fuck out of me the last time I played it, I even remember almost fainting at one point, that was such a strong impression), thus making the map shorter.

You're mistaking it for the Dream 2 from Trilogy. A.Dream 2 V2.0 is an update of the original standalone A.Dream 2 which was released in 2009.

User is offline   Polunka 

View Postzykov eddy, on 02 March 2017 - 05:21 AM, said:

You're mistaking it for the Dream 2 from Trilogy. A.Dream 2 V2.0 is an update of the original standalone A.Dream 2 which was released in 2009.

Oh, sorry, my bad. Tbh, I guess I'd forgotten the fact they were different maps by the time I was typing the post.

User is offline   NNC 

I honestly think the first Dream map is my favourite standalone usermap ever (not counting episodic levels like the ones from DNF2013 or LRWB). It started as a standard city map, and after a while something turned upside down. It was probably the most unexpected moment I've ever witnessed from this game.

I don't like the the sequel though, neither the other maps in the trilogy. It was a flash in the pan, and it will forever be in shortest lists of my favourite Duke levels.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 02 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

I don't want to derail the thread, but you mentioned you moved into other things - so, no more Yume Nikki/Undertale 3D or Sonic? I'm sorry if I sound demanding, but those were some of the most interesting original works done in Build3D, and I always hoped for updates :P

View PostCryptKiller, on 02 March 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but you mentioned you moved into other things - so, no more Yume Nikki/Undertale 3D or Sonic? I'm sorry if I sound demanding, but those were some of the most interesting original works done in Build3D, and I always hoped for updates :P

Yeah, no updates for standalone EDuke 32 projects. Sorry.

Maybe I'll finish a DN3D map which I started in 2015, but right now I'm busy selling vinyl records and trying to have a social life, so if I start making a big map again, I'm risking losing my progress with social life.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postzykov eddy, on 02 March 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

if I start making a big map again, I'm risking losing my progress with social life.

Posted Image

Nah, I agree the personal life is more important. It's definitely a good thing to have at least one or two lifelong friends since friends tend to come and go more often then we'd like, and tend to be temporary overall. Once you have that base established then it's easier to get back into niche hobbies like mapping. Same with romantic situations; act normal for a few months then it's ok to release the crazy on them Posted Image

The version of the map in the Trilogy certainly had some unnerving moments.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options