Duke4.net Forums: Any artists here on the forums? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any artists here on the forums?  "Creating art"

User is offline   FezGuy 

Hi yall,

I'm working on a map for fun. I have a duke map that will use custom art. I'm wondering if anybody would want to help me convert files for Duke. I would do it myself but I have put a bit of work into the level design and I feel like it would be fun to collaborate with someone to switch things up.

I have custom pictures to use for textures but I can't get them to look right. Would someone be interested in helping me convert the images? I would even go as far as paying you using paypal although we're talking chump change here. The textures are urban textures to create a street scene reminiscent of an old lower east side of New York circa 1980's.

It's slow going and I don't know when I'll finish it but I will gladly give you credit for the level too.

Thanks all and enjoy your February. Kick ass and don't forget your gum.

User is online   Mark 

I'm in the middle of another project right now but I might be able to donate a little time to help get you going. Which game renderer are you going to be using. Software, Polymost, Polymer? Are these high res 32 bit assets or do they need conversion to 8bit? Are you using actual textures or trying to convert photos to textures? Are your new textures already in art files or DEF'ed into the project? And last, do you have a file hosting site already picked for where your stuff will be?

User is offline   FezGuy 

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are screenshots. Some of the artwork is actually from TekWar. Some of the TekWar art is okay but others are really crap.

The art files that I need converted are just JPEG photos that haven't been converted or def'd. The map is polymost, I think? It's basically classic duke.

I don't know if that makes it easier or harder. I haven't gotten a file hosting site. But I can get one if you need it.

User is online   Mark 

I would be willing to do a little bit to help out. As I said before I can't devote a lot of time but I'll do what I can. If anyone else has more time to devote to this and wants to help him out feel free to post here and I'll step aside. After you find a site for your files send me the location in a PM.

User is offline   FezGuy 

This is the file sharing link for the photos.

I've included a link for those who would like to look at the photos. Let me know if it's doable. There quite a few in there but for those who are interested do what you can.

Thanks for any help.

User is online   Mark 

You might want to pic a more consistent style and resolution for your textures. In your screenshots I see some lowres DN and SW and you mentioned Tekwar stuff which I think are also lower res textures. But then the textures you need worked on are photo-realistic and are not going to blend nicely with the other ones as-is. Also, find out for sure if you are making your map for the 8bit classic mode or polymost mode. And what resolution are the textures that you like and are in the map now.

I happen to be a big fan of the "urban decay" look in games and over the years I have created or gathered up lots and lots of good textures for that. I am attaching a zip file with 16 textures you might like. Most have them have been used in projects of mine so they should be ready to use. Unless you are using 8bit classic mode and they need to have their palettes converted.

Attached File(s)

User is online   Mark 

Another thing. You have to be more specific about what doesn't look right with those textures. Otherwise we have no way of knowing what or how to fix them.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

User is offline   FezGuy 

View PostMark., on 08 February 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

You might want to pic a more consistent style and resolution for your textures. In your screenshots I see some lowres DN and SW and you mentioned Tekwar stuff which I think are also lower res textures. But then the textures you need worked on are photo-realistic and are not going to blend nicely with the other ones as-is. Also, find out for sure if you are making your map for the 8bit classic mode or polymost mode. And what resolution are the textures that you like and are in the map now.

I happen to be a big fan of the "urban decay" look in games and over the years I have created or gathered up lots and lots of good textures for that. I am attaching a zip file with 16 textures you might like. Most have them have been used in projects of mine so they should be ready to use. Unless you are using 8bit classic mode and they need to have their palettes converted.

Wow. I should have asked before if anybody had textures to begin with. Those pics look amazing.

As for the pics I linked, they are very high res and they need to be cropped and turned into 8-bit. If you can drop them down in resolution and crop them it would be nice. You certainly don't have to do all of them. Maybe just do what you can.

The textures I have in the map are fine. However, I wanted more diversity in buildings. I tried taking files from Blood and TekWar. TekWar is garbage and I can't really use. They're too low res and Blood textures have colors all mixed up so I didn't use them either. The featured pics I showed right now only uses the textures I like so it's not bad. I was just demonstrating what kind of look I wanted. :P

Anyone interested in what I linked can use the art for what they like as well.

This post has been edited by FezGuy: 08 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Very nice textures. That level also looks great, I hope to play it soon.

By the way, I'm also in a similar situation; I'm working on my Blacklist TC, which uses photo-realistic textures and sprites. Recently I exported an enemy from a Game Boy Advance game, and tried to make it as realistic as the rest, but I can't get good results... So, if anybody knows how to do it right and wants to help, let me know it via PM and I will send the enemy frames. I'll be very grateful.

Sorry for offtopic, but I thought this was better than creating a new thread.

User is offline   FezGuy 

No worries. I actually thought about creating a thread dedicated to .art files for everyone to share. I might need some weapons and enemies soon. :P

User is online   Mark 

I need to know the resolution of the good textures in your map now so I know what to convert the new ones to. I'm assuming 256 x 256. And I can't read your mind. I have no idea which parts of which textures you need cropped.

EDIT: I converted the textures I sent to you into the 8bit DN palette. It really buggered them up. Some of the faded ones lost all color. Some have ugly greenish or purpleish color. Some have been tinted. I have a feeling the same will happen with the textures you posted. It looks like it will take more time and effort than I can spare to adjust all that crap in the converted textures. Hopefully someone else that is more experienced with 8bit texturing will step up to help. Good luck with your project.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostFezGuy, on 08 February 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

I have converted these textures so you can use them in 8-bit renderer. They're now mostly in 128x128, which is a resolution that fits well with the rest of Duke 3D textures. Some of them look a bit grayish after the palette conversion, but I think they can work fine with the map. I don't know if you will like it, so let me know. :P

Attached File(s)

User is offline   FezGuy 

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'll keep you posted as I move along. I'll post some more screenshots in a bit.

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey the map is looking promising :P Just a tip, you can try to use textures from the Amc mod that would fit perfect in this map or try textures from Max Payne. Good luck!

User is offline   darkcaleb 

So how is this project coming along?

User is offline   FezGuy 

Posted Image

View Postdarkcaleb, on 21 February 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

So how is this project coming along?

It's coming but it's coming very slow. I'm trying to focus on my studies at school so I tinker with it when I can.

I have an underground sewer section of the city. I'm gonna try and make the tunnel ceiling have a more defined arc. Looks a bit "Boxy" right now.

There is more to the sewers but I haven't textured all of it. But maybe I'll post more this week on the sewer system. Some textures I use look too "cartoony" and some just have a way too large resolution and they don't match. But what you see here is from the textures in this forum thread. They look kinda cool for a sewer so thanks to those including Mark who posted some textures.
Originally I planned on creating a mini TC with one map as a test run. I'll keep you posted. If anything I'll just finish the damn thing and release it. Hopefully I can keep that gritty New York feel throughout the level.

Catch yall later.

User is online   Mark 

A few more possible sewer textures you could use. Hopefully I converted to Duke palette properly.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   FezGuy 

Posted Image

Just trying out some textures.

User is offline   FezGuy 

Posted Image

Yes! I'm still working on it. ;)

I found out how to make the pistol fire only six shots in the magazine. That way it appears to act as a revolver so I added this weapon art. (Not mine, of course) Although the shells fly out so I gotta fix that.

The parallax sky was modified to create a New York feel. I don't know if I like it.

Interesting tidbit, five tiles in the game make up about 8 total. So when you see the Hollywood skyline in Duke3d it's actually 5 tiles that are repeat to a total of 8 tiles.
I replaced the files but they didn't look right. I realized that the art had to be seamless to each panel. I don't know if you needed to know that...or if that makes sense. The parallax skies are tricky. :P

p.s. This map has become a mini mod. It's something along the lines of the old 70s detective/vigilante movies like "Death Wish" or "Dirty Harry." I'd like to make custom bad guys soon too. Anyways, it's moving along. It's only one map.

View PostFezGuy, on 23 June 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

I really like the composition of that scene. Great job!

I also like the aspect of this mod. I noticed that all buildings look like they have the same height. If I were you I would try to change it, but it's only a minor complain. :P

Oh, and great job with the parallax sky. I'm also trying to create a new one, but it's a hard work.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options