Duke4.net Forums: TROR elevators? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TROR elevators?

User is offline   MC84 

I've had a quick search through the forums, and did find one post where someone was explaining the difficulty they were having with TROR elevators.. apparently there wasn't a fix for this, however the post was from 2012. So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with these? The elevator I'm constructing uses SE31, and raises the floor platform up to the height of the SE. If I place the SE sprite at the top of the sector stack, the lift is unresponsive. It will only work within the first floor of the stack.

I've included a few images to make things clearer. Basically this room is 4 stories/layers high, with a central elevator shaft that I'd like to use to take the player right up to the top level.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0068.png
  • Attached Image: capt0006.png

User is offline   Zaxtor 

My mod KINDA have an TROR elevator inside computers.
Elevator is a sprite that goes TROR 1 (bottom) to TROR 2 bottom.

(spoilers warning) (it's actually TROR in the vid)

However there could be a trick to make an TROR elevator but could be complicated to my knowledge.
There is a thing that requires exploits to make some elevator that goes multi floors but is not a TROR.
Is kinda a bug exploit or certain placement of lines(walls) and sectors.

Is in EX5ML3.map (test map), is like 13-14 years old but has a charming elevator trick.
Some people tried to copy the elevator trick but had no success because it was too complicated.
It doesn't require coding but is a weird trick with lines and sectors.
Couldn't find the original site where I got it so I added it here.
http://zaxtor.net/EX5ML3.MAP

User is offline   MC84 

I like the video you attached, nice looking mod, but yes I'm able to achieve a similar result; ie bottom of TROR level 1 to bottom of TROR level 2. If I raise the SE 31 sprite any higher than the floor of level 2 then the lift no longer functions.

I've seen the map that you are referring to (EX5ML3) and that lift is probably too advanced for my mapster abilities. I may just have to re-consider how I design that section of the level.

Thanks for your help

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Is weird when you lift sprite(s) with elevator it can go over TROR but if it passes 2 like you says it no longer functions or vanishes.

User is offline   Jblade 

Micky C is the De facto authority on TROR stuff so hopefully he can shed some light and prove me wrong here, but I don't think it is possible to have a multi TROR layer elevator without some sophisticated CON coding unfortunately. Hopefully you can find a good compromise in any event, that lift looks really cool (and kinda foreboding as well)

User is offline   MC84 

View PostJblade, on 25 January 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

Micky C is the De facto authority on TROR stuff so hopefully he can shed some light and prove me wrong here, but I don't think it is possible to have a multi TROR layer elevator without some sophisticated CON coding unfortunately. Hopefully you can find a good compromise in any event, that lift looks really cool (and kinda foreboding as well)

Ok got it, well I'm sure I'll work something out. Thanks for the feedback, foreboding is definitely what I'm going for :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Sector effects are exactly that; effects that apply to the sector that contain the SE. When you put the SE 31 in the top TROR layer, you're telling the sector in the top layer to move. I'm afraid it's not possible to have a sector move up and through into other sectors via TROR. In the future if we're lucky we may get a feature such as TWOW (wall over wall) which is designed for situations like this. But that'll be years off, if ever. As others have mentioned, you'll be far better off coding a simple set of sprites to move upwards and carry the player through the layers.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostMicky C, on 25 January 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Sector effects are exactly that; effects that apply to the sector that contain the SE. When you put the SE 31 in the top TROR layer, you're telling the sector in the top layer to move. I'm afraid it's not possible to have a sector move up and through into other sectors via TROR. In the future if we're lucky we may get a feature such as TWOW (wall over wall) which is designed for situations like this. But that'll be years off, if ever. As others have mentioned, you'll be far better off coding a simple set of sprites to move upwards and carry the player through the layers.

Ok well that settles it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options