Duke4.net Forums: Your ideal developer for next Duke Nukem game - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your ideal developer for next Duke Nukem game  "Who is your ideal developer for the next Duke Nukem game?"

Poll: Developer for next Duke Nukem game (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What developer you'd prefer to make the next Duke Nukem game?

1. 3D Realms/Interceptor Entertainment (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

2. Gearbox Software (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Human Head Studios (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Croteam (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. People Can Fly (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Flying Wild Hog (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

7. id Software (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

8. Epic Games (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Running With Scissors (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Voidpoint (21 votes [48.84%])

Percentage of vote: 48.84%

11. Infinity Ward ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Night Work Games (John Romero) (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Other (see reply) (5 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I figured since this has come up couple of times in random threads, it would be interesting to see what devs people prefer.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Can admins check my vote?

VoidPoint

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Voidpoint, only company that cares for Duke.

User is offline   pacman 

3drealms if we get levelord, allen, lee jackson and bobby on the music, ideally broussard and the rest back, and I dont even want a new duke game, I want a new episode but a new solid episode, like the atomic edition episode, something that feels solid and like a 100% finished product, I would be happy with that, I cant be arsed to play modern games. nothing beats the atmosphere of the build engine anyway.

This post has been edited by pacman: 17 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Voidpoint partnered with Devolver for publishing, marketing, distribution, and advertising.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Voidpoint is the best way to go, I just can't see anyone else at all, not even 3D Realms which is different from the company which developed Duke 3D, I doubt they would even get the original Duke 3D creators to make a new Duke game. Voidpoint are the only one who do understand what a Duke game needs and they know whom they have to get on board to make the game.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Well if what TX said is true and Gearbox really is trying to better relations with the Duke community through him, maybe they will get Voidpoint to make something Duke related.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Voidpoint would be great if you want a new indie Duke game, but obviously they can't pull of anything with the scope and graphics of a AAA game. I voted for Human Head as I think they could help make Duke relevant in the mainstream again by creating a large, innovative game that focuses on the right areas of exploration and combat. Then again I'm not sure what the state of the studio is post-prey-fiasco so I'm not sure if they're still capable of this.

Voidpoint because TerminX & co. are like those ancient guardians of The Secret of Duke Nukem, but I'd like to at least see the pitch concept from other companies. BTW no MachineGames?

View PostMicky C, on 18 January 2017 - 03:26 AM, said:

Voidpoint would be great if you want a new indie Duke game, but obviously they can't pull of anything with the scope and graphics of a AAA game. I voted for Human Head as I think they could help make Duke relevant in the mainstream again by creating a large, innovative game that focuses on the right areas of exploration and combat. Then again I'm not sure what the state of the studio is post-prey-fiasco so I'm not sure if they're still capable of this.

imo Voidpoint in cooperation with a studio like Human Head would be ideal. All the power of an experienced AAA team combined with Voidpoint's understanding and knowledge of what makes a Duke game a Duke game.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 18 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

With Voidpoint getting closer to Gearbox and TX claiming that Randy isn't a total asshole, am I the only one who sees the possibility of Gearbox allowing Voidpoint to make a Duke spin off in the Build engine similar to how they're doing for Bombshell?
Wouldn't be impossible since Gearbox is doing small things with Duke at the moment anyway.

I mean we'd get a fresh Duke adventure, in the engine we all love, wouldn't cost Gearbox much and would most definitely better relations with the Duke community.

Yeah, imagine a new Build Duke Nukem game, incorporating assets from betas and story being a tour of various ideas from Duke4Ever, PSP spin-offs etc., cameos from H.U.N.T., Lo Wang etc., maps being made by the finest mappers from community, and brand new OST by Prince/Jackson duo.

Okay, okay, time to leave the dreamland... :lol:

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Voidpoint seems to be the fan-favorite.

Voidpoint being tech advisor or so while other open to advice AAA dev makes, that seems to be a realistic possibility I think and one that would be one of the better choices. Think I might cast my vote to this, since it's first choice to get bit more thought from me.

View PostCryptKiller, on 18 January 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

BTW no MachineGames?

Couldn't think of all possible devs to include and I wanted to keep the list somewhat reasonable size, hence that *Other* at the bottom of choices.

View PostxMobilemux, on 18 January 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

With Voidpoint getting closer to Gearbox and TX claiming that Randy isn't a total asshole, am I the only one who sees the possibility of Gearbox allowing Voidpoint to make a Duke spin off in the Build engine similar to how they're doing for Bombshell?
Wouldn't be impossible since Gearbox is doing small things with Duke at the moment anyway.

I mean we'd get a fresh Duke adventure, in the engine we all love, wouldn't cost Gearbox much and would most definitely better relations with the Duke community.

A new Duke game episode on the classic Build engine? Sounds good to me but it would be nice to eventually get something bigger aswell.

User is offline   Kawa 

View Postspessu_sb, on 18 January 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

A new Duke game episode on the classic Build engine? Sounds good to me but it would be nice to eventually get something bigger aswell.
Of course, "on the Build engine" and "something bigger" are not mutually exclusive. The Bombshell prequel may be going for that classic vibe, but between things like TROR and HRP, noone's saying Duke'd have to.

• Honored Donor

It would be nice to see some new proper, quality Duke content on the Build engine by someone like Voidpoint. Still, we don't want to condemn Duke to the Build engine for all eternity.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostxMobilemux, on 18 January 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

i dream with a new episode developed by the top mappers of the community that have been making amazing maps for decades, a.glavick, ,gambini, mike norvak, roch... an 11 level episode with one or two new enemies, a new weapon (proper new enemies and weapon not half assed stuff), something that feels solid like the atomic edition back in the day... that would be a success, you already got the entire old school fps community buying that and giving positive feedback + new people that want more duke content after discovering it recently with the new ports. for the music, i would ideally like to see more lee and bobby efforts, they are kings of midi. build engine, still the best for retro fps, and retro stuff is trendy again as we have seen with the rise of undertale and all those old school games being massive hits so the engine is not a problem. all we need is proper multiplayer support for the port.
with the correct team and without rushing things something epic could be made. randy would gain everyones respect back and we would all be happy. its a win/win.

This post has been edited by pacman: 18 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm assuming a lot here, as I've never been to GBX's offices and I don't know how things are set up there. The idea of Voidpoint acting as consultants to a new AAA Duke game isn't a bad idea. They could steer design decisions towards what we want to see in a new Duke game.

The problem is that there are people there (Randy, and I think Blum still works there, among possibly others) and I don't see them allowing what they will see as 'fans' to tell them how to do their job. Not that it's a bad idea, but I don't see their pride accepting it. Again, not to say they are 'just fans', but I can imagine that is how they may see it.

The idea of Voidpoint making a new official expansion is a great idea. It would need a general story, sort of like the DNF mod. Just throwing a load of maps together isn't going to cut it. You'll need some proper monsters and a few new weapons as well. I think it could work out amazingly.

• Honored Donor

Besides, if you make the argument that Voidpoint knows what Duke's "true" personality and world is like, which we reasonably can after 20 years of experience, that doesn't mean this vision would align with what Gearbox thinks of Duke or how they'd like to market him. It's pretty clear that they'd like to target Duke to 13 year old boys which is a shame as it demeans the franchise overall, and puts the focus on the wrong areas.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostKawa, on 18 January 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

Of course, "on the Build engine" and "something bigger" are not mutually exclusive. The Bombshell prequel may be going for that classic vibe, but between things like TROR and HRP, noone's saying Duke'd have to.

When we finally get this HH remake project finished you'll get a hint at whats possible with Build for bigger and better. There is much room for improvement still left for those wanting to push it. And the other group I'm with also has projects in the works pushing the physics and gameplay types over the next couple of years. It has it's limits but Build is capable of good variety of looks and styles. It would have been even better if work had continued on Polymer NG to go with our HH project. But that is another advancement to look forward to.

User is offline   LkMax 

Arkane Studios. Remove the optional stealth, put aliens, put big guns and Dishonbored levels could pass as Duke Nukem levels in a steampunk London. Their level design is open enough and enemies have actual positioning instead of spawning (something not even iD does today), so Arkane is already familiar with some of the gameplay elements of classic shooters, plus they have AAA experience.

I wouldn't pick Human Head because Prey was too linear, but besides that, maybe.

Voidpoint still needs to release a game :P

This post has been edited by LkMax: 18 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If you fixed Polymer, you could get up to some pretty cool stuff - even with all the other limitations like MD3 and no multiplayer. It's a real shame that NG never happened and that Polymer was never optimised. I'm not saying that just for the HH project, but for other projects that we had hoped to inspire with what are doing.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Voidpoint is the only developer I'd trust off the bat to get it right. Other developers would have to earn my trust.

Allen Blum and Levelord, at whichever company. In the dream team world I'd love to see people from id and valve devs or whoever in the mix, just anybody up for the job. But I think Allen and Levelord have still got it, even if they're familiar more with the older engine/tools, but let them be lead level designers with help on the kooky new engines from other devs. And Allen worked on DNF with the recent-ish Unreal engine.

Short answer: Make the game, I'll give anybody a chance.

I love World Tour's new episode and I'm looking forward to Bombshell, so I'm happy for any more Build content too, but I would like to see a new Duke game done on another engine as well.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 18 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   Adekis 

View PostCryptKiller, on 18 January 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

Yeah, imagine a new Build Duke Nukem game, incorporating assets from betas and story being a tour of various ideas from Duke4Ever, PSP spin-offs etc., cameos from H.U.N.T., Lo Wang etc., maps being made by the finest mappers from community, and brand new OST by Prince/Jackson duo.

Okay, okay, time to leave the dreamland... :P

Why bother leaving dreamland? We're already playing pretend.

Posted Image

;)

And my "pony" is that player two is Lo Wang.

User is offline   Kawa 

I'm now imaging Duke riding Wang into battle. Duke's wearing his Time to Kill outfit and Wang [neighs in asian].

...I might have to draw this.

Correction: I drew this.

This post has been edited by Kawa: 19 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   Mark 

like this:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: lowang and duke.jpg

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostMark., on 19 January 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

like this:

Pretty much!

User is offline   Mark 

After seeing your drawing I couldn't resist making a quick mockup with some models I have. :P

User is offline   Kawa 

Thank you. I wonder what Kinsie could do in that regard?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options