Duke4.net Forums: Favorite depiction of Duke? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite depiction of Duke?

User is offline   xStayMetalx 

Which is your favorite image/depiction of Duke? Less in terms of in game models and more in terms of marketing and cover art. Personally, my favorites are out of the intro videos for Time To Kill and Land of the Babes. My least favorite would probably be the version of duke that's on the cover of Critical Mass and Manhatten Project.

-xStayMetalx

User is offline   KaijuTurtle 

My mental image of Duke is probably either the Zero Hour cover or the 2001 DNF promo image. The critical mass rendition is inarguably the worst but aside that mess, Land of the babes CGI Duke is really ugly in my opinion. It's probably technical limitations of the period but he just seems too bulky/lumpy and cartoonish.
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

DNF's cover is the worst Duke. Best is Duke3D's.

User is online   Loke 

I've always liked the Zero Hour depiction of Duke.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also like this one although I'm not sure where it's from originally. Looks like an alternative take on the Duke Nukem 3D box art.

Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 January 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

DNF's cover is the worst Duke.

Indeed. Douche Nukem is the worst Nukem.

User is offline   CruX 

Posted Image

never bothered with DNF and probably never will, but I always liked the grizzled Willis-esque thing they were going for here. So much of his look consisted of these distinct 90's trends that didn't age well at all imo, but here it always felt like they'd found a way to hang onto it without it being the first thing you'd notice.

rebel without a cause or effect

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

I think the Bruce Willis look thing was a fluke. Just the way the camera, lighting, and animation (specifically with facial expressions) made Duke look in that teaser. I don't think the model itself looks anything like Willis.

User is offline   SpooferJahk 

Going to have to go with Loke, Zero Hour and Time to Kill era Duke was awesome, especially that cowboy outfit.

User is offline   Tristan 

• Honored Donor

Zero Hour, without a doubt.

User is offline   Adekis 

Wow, I've never played Zero Hour, so that Cowboy / longcoat look is new to me. Looks awesome, if maybe a little dated! Wish there was more of it!

Mine is probably this, actually:

Posted Image

I always liked the DN2 cover, but the updated version was a great, well, update!

User is offline   PsychoGoatee 

Duke is always kingly, I'd say the coolest is Duke 3D like most on here would agree. Great brief cutscenes, lot of character. I agree the Time to Kill intro was very cool when I was a kid, and that look is cool (low poly CG cool for the time). He has a lot of great one liners in that game.

User is offline   neznam 

Posted Image

User is offline   xStayMetalx 

View Postneznam, on 18 January 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

😳

-xStayMetalx

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I just love this. I so wish that we got this instead of DNF.

Posted Image

User is offline   CryptKiller 

Honestly?

Posted Image

I always thought it was a missed opportunity to make Duke more like his DN2 incarnation. Dorky badass who knows which end of the gun goes boom and is famous because he saved the Earth a couple of times, but otherwise is a likeable goof, like Schwarzenegger or The Rock. I'm quite sure such depiction could also win him some more fans, because imo the whole "80's action hero" was parodied to death between Duke 3D and Forever, and DNF fixation on tits and phallic symbolism was awkward. I really liked the proposed storyline to Duke4Ever, it's that zany idiocy that Duke games miss - I mean, Proton steals California, President of USA is happy with it, and Duke only goes into action because he has a mansion on Malibu? This is not height of satire, but I'd take it anytime over any part of Forever.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2016 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options