Duke4.net Forums: program closes on start - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

program closes on start

User is offline   Adekis 

Recently tried to play Duke. Game told me that there was a new release, so I opted to install it. Thought it might be fun to reinstall DukePlus and the HRP as well; it's been a while since I've last played. Anyway, I never got far enough to install those files.

I open the launcher, hit start, screen goes black, program closes. That's that. Any ideas what's up? I thought I saw a comparable problem thread but I'm not finding it now, and I don't know much about the specifics of what's going on in the files I'm afraid, but I do have the log.

EDuke32 r5948 (32-bit) C++ build
Compiled Dec 4 2016 14:59:20
Using C:/Users/[Redacted]/Downloads/eduke32_latest/ for game data
Checking for updates...
Connecting to http://www.eduke32.com
Current version is 20120522... no updates available
Running on Windows 10 (build 10.0.14393)
Initializing SDL 2.0.5
Searching for game data...
Checksumming DUKE3D.GRP... Done
Checksumming dukedc.grp... Done
Checksumming nwinter.grp... Done
Checksumming vacation.grp... Done
Using "DUKE3D.GRP" as main game data file.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Script compiled in 28ms, 65500 bytes
Initialized 24.0M cache
Using RTS file "DUKE.RTS".
Initializing OSD...
0 joystick(s) found
Setting video mode 1024x600 (32-bpp windowed)
Refresh rate: 60Hz
OpenGL information
Microsoft Corporation GDI Generic 1.1.0
Your OpenGL implementation doesn't support detail mapping. Disabling...
Your OpenGL implementation doesn't support glow mapping. Disabling...
Your OpenGL implementation doesn't support Vertex Buffer Objects. Disabling...
Opened "textures" as cache file
Initializing music...
Initializing sound... 32 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
g_errorLineNum: 0, g_tw: 0

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg

What do I need to change to get this game to work?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The log says you don't have any OpenGL drivers installed for your video card. Are you perhaps using older integrated Intel HD graphics?

User is offline   Adekis 

View PostTerminX, on 20 December 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

The log says you don't have any OpenGL drivers installed for your video card. Are you perhaps using older integrated Intel HD graphics?

Shoot- maybe? Would I have been able to play Duke with Intel HD graphics until a recent release or something? I did recently delete a zip file which I think was something to do with OpenGL from my Downloads folder because I thought it was a remnant of an installation I'd already made. Of course I can't be sure about that because the file is, well, deleted. Would that have accidentally removed OpenGL from my computer? Sorry if it's kind of obvious that I have little to no idea what I'm doing.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Try this.

View PostMartin Howe, on 05 October 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

For those that don't know how to compile and build software, we have something on the DRD/ZDoom forums that one of the forum users wrote to patch the GZDoom internal manifest to solve this problem. All it does is remove the "Windows 10" lines.

I have found this tool also works on the latest compiled EDuke32 build and it seems to be a generic program that should work on any program with those lines in the manifest.

Link: WTFI

So hopefully those who just play the game and don't want to become programmers are sorted, at least for now.

Bad marks to Intel for desupporting capable hardware merely due to OS upgrade. Then again, after their involvement in the Itanium debacle, should we really be surprised LOL

User is offline   Paul B 

I had the same problem last night as well running on windows 10 (64Bit). I had problems starting both Eduke and Mapster. I had opted to go back to Eduke32 from 2013 and as a result i suffered the same symptoms. I believe your problem and my problem are similar. There appears to be a problem with older Eduke revisions on Windows 10. Please run the latest Eduke release from here: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

Update: Sorry when i skimmed your log file the line that caught my eye was: "Current version is 20120522... no updates available". Because of that i thought you were running an older build.

Just for fun, i'd copy the duke3d.grp to a new folder with the latest build without any mods or customization's and see if it starts up using the default files. This also may just be the case of updating your video card drivers so they are using something other then windows updates graphics drivers.

I realize my help is probably not appropriate, since you already have the best people invested in helping you. I'll just shut up now.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 20 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

User is offline   Adekis 

View PostHendricks266, on 20 December 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

Try this.

You're the best! Not only does regular eduke work just fine, but I got the HRP and DukePlus running great too! Thanks!

Paul B said:

I realize my help is probably not appropriate, since you already have the best people invested in helping you. I'll just shut up now.

I appreciated your help anyway! Even though, er, it didn't actually end up solving the problem. I still appreciate it! :lol:

This post has been edited by Adekis: 20 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options