Duke4.net Forums: Blade Runner 2049 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blade Runner 2049  "Releasing October 2017"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

Starring Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, with Dave Bautista and Jared Leto. Directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, and Enemy).

User is offline   xMobilemux 

No matter how many times I try to watch the original Blade Runner, I always stop watching out of boredom.

The damn movie just can't keep me interested.

User is offline   Hank 

Bladerunner's boring moments exhibit D :lol:

Posted Image

As for the topic, the teaser does nothing for myself, actually none ever do. :D

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostxMobilemux, on 19 December 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

No matter how many times I try to watch the original Blade Runner, I always stop watching out of boredom.

The damn movie just can't keep me interested.

Ugh, so much this.
I really want to watch it and enjoy it, I just always tap out 10 minutes in.

I love Blade Runner, Rutger Hauer rocks in that too.

For this flick, I'm glad they're doing a sequel, I'll take a sequel over a reboot every time. At least if it's bad, it'll be attempting to do something other than retell the beats of a popular movie. It's a cooler choice.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

The whole point of Blade Runner were visuals and this movie looks damn great. The movie probably would work better as a game perhaps and it has one which was developed by Westwood.

User is offline   Hank 

Bladerunner's boring moments exhibit C :lol:
Posted Image

The theme of the movie was more like, what could happen if humans make machines that are 'More Human Than Human' .

We'll see what today's Hollywood makes out of the endless possibilities of the original :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The theme of Blade Runner was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

View PostSledgehammer, on 20 December 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

The whole point of Blade Runner were visuals and this movie looks damn great. The movie probably would work better as a game perhaps and it has one which was developed by Westwood.

Blade Runner ranks as one of my all time favorite movies, and I love that game, too. I'd liketo see someone do an update of it, or at least re-release it digitally. As to the teaser, I liked it. Uses music from the original film, and looks right visually.

This post has been edited by cosmonautcowboy: 08 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

They kept the only actor they had to get rid off... damn :lol: I´m still interested on it, mostly because of the visuals. We live in a very polished style era and I want to know what modern artists can do with this concept.

For those who find the movie boring, skip the first 40 minutes and you won´t regret!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember watching it when I was younger because my dad loved it. But all I remember is a lot of nothing going on. It was very slow and...almost that weird artsy movie feel. I mean, I'm pretty sure I got the gist of the story, I remember the ending and stuff.....maybe I should just give it another watch.

View PostGambini, on 08 January 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

For those who find the movie boring, skip the first 40 minutes and you won´t regret!

It is not a lightweight statement, if the entire first half hour of every movie could be considered boring by some, generally it is not something auspicious.

I remember watching it when I was younger because my dad loved it. But all I remember is a lot of nothing going on. It was very slow and...almost that weird artsy movie feel. I mean, I'm pretty sure I got the gist of the story, I remember the ending and stuff.....maybe I should just give it another watch.

Which edition and which ending?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He's probably just talking about the final confrontation between Deckard and Roy, not the random, varied endings that come after that.

I admit I couldn't stand the movie as a kid, but of course have learned to appreciate it as an adult for its atmosphere and themes.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 08 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostFantinaikos, on 08 January 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Which edition and which ending?

I think it was that one Director's Cut before the Final Cut release....before BluRays came out. 15 years ago or so.

The chase-duel it's considered one of the most iconic parts of the movie, just placed after "Pris doll" and before Roy's final monologue. Yeah, Blade Runner it's not addressed at very young audiences.

However, like Star Wars, it has enough material to build an entire universe from which can derive other, like the '97 Westwood official point&click adventure game (that should be soon ScummVM compatible, I suppose MusicallyInspired can confirm) and is where Kojima take heavy inspiration for Snatcher because, especially in his first games, it seems incapable of make a single one without stealing 80% of settings and elements from western cinema to save design&plot creation time that is basically a big citation to Blade Runner and Terminator.

• The Sarien Encounter

I've heard there has been work done on it for ScummVM lately. I actually own the original CDs. Found them in a Value Village one day. Haven't played it yet, though.

User is offline   Cernex 

I'm a bit excited. For one is not a reboot, which is fine by me, and second, it has good ol' Harrison Ford back. It looks awesome and (surprisingly) not a lot of CGI in the trailer. My only worry is that Ridley Scott is not directing, he's only producing.

Would be pretty nice if there at least was a Sean Young cameo, but last I heard, she has burned a lot of bridges. Also heard she's less nuts now, but yeah, those bridges in Hollywood sure are hard to repair...

View PostCernex, on 02 March 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

I'm a bit excited. For one is not a reboot, which is fine by me, and second, it has good ol' Harrison Ford back. It looks awesome and (surprisingly) not a lot of CGI in the trailer. My only worry is that Ridley Scott is not directing, he's only producing.

Would be pretty nice if there at least was a Sean Young cameo, but last I heard, she has burned a lot of bridges. Also heard she's less nuts now, but yeah, those bridges in Hollywood sure are hard to repair...

Honestly, I'm happy Ridley Scott isn't directing. I hated Prometheus with a passion, and don't want him going anywhere near Blade Runner. I'd love to see Sean Young in it, too, but I'm guessing we'll get a few lines about Rachel's death, and that's it. Apparently one of the most famous episodes of her crazy behavior is her campaigning to be cast as Catwoman in Batman Returns. In retrospect, I think I'd like her in the role much more.

This post has been edited by cosmonautcowboy: 25 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Why did everyone hate Prometheus? I loved it. I mean, it wasn't the greatest movie ever, but I loved the lore additions.

Because it fucked with original Alien lore and because it raised even more questions? Plus it had some little (but noticeable and very stupid) flaws, some things don't make sense and you don't need to know about science.

It's decent movie on its own though. However, the fact that they're making soft reboot instead of sequel which could fix many mistakes of the first movie makes situation even worse, it seems like not even Fox is confident enough to continue Prometheus story which says something. Ridley isn't a good director, he's better at something else, forgot what was it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 March 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Why did everyone hate Prometheus? I loved it. I mean, it wasn't the greatest movie ever, but I loved the lore additions.

It just didn't appeal to me. I thought it was very poorly written as far as the characters went. Most people I know found it entertaining enough, or were indifferent to it. So you're not alone in liking it. I like Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, which most people hate, so I'm probably just generally backwards. :blink:

• The Sarien Encounter

How did it ruin the lore? I thought it was genius how the weaponized bio-organism evolved into what eventually became the Alien. Really gives weight to the "ultimate organism" monicker. It evolved past its more inefficient states into something that was perfectly effective and lethal. I also loved how they explained the reason the Space Jockeys hated humans (their creation) as being something in their own image just like humans resented androids, resembling themselves and in their eyes trying to "be" human, even if they weren't.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 March 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

How did it ruin the lore? I thought it was genius how the weaponized bio-organism evolved into what eventually became the Alien. Really gives weight to the "ultimate organism" monicker. It evolved past its more inefficient states into something that was perfectly effective and lethal. I also loved how they explained the reason the Space Jockeys hated humans (their creation) as being something in their own image just like humans resented androids, resembling themselves and in their eyes trying to "be" human, even if they weren't.

The origins of the aliens wasn't something I ever felt needed to be explained, so conceptually the movie isn't something that really appealed to me from the start. There's also the problem that it completely abandons the used, lived-in aesthetic that the series has always gone for, in favor of a slick, futuristic look. For me it's too much of a departure to be an Alien movie. Maybe that was the point, but I didn't like it.

As I said, it's pretty decent movie on its own and I must say it also looks beautiful too. Would be better if they didn't connect it and I have no doubt that the new Alien movie is going to fuck with the lore of both Prometheus and Alien. You may know the reason is you're familiar with the script of Paradise Lost which was way better than what they're doing, shame they dropped it. Strongly recommend you to give it a read if you haven't yet.

But here is the list what Prometheus changed (sorry for the link and not my own thoughts, I'm just lazy and have no mood to talk about it):
https://www.reddit.c...nsistencies_in/
Though I mention my favorite one.

Space jockey then:
Posted Image
Space jockey now:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 26 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

View PostSledgehammer, on 26 March 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

As I said, it's pretty decent movie on its own and I must say it also looks beautiful too. Would be better if they didn't connect it and I have no doubt that the new Alien movie is going to fuck with the lore of both Prometheus and Alien. You may know the reason is you're familiar with the script of Paradise Lost which was way better than what they're doing, shame they dropped it. Strongly recommend you to give it a read if you haven't yet.

I haven't read the Paradise Lost script, I'll have to track that down. They should have just given Scott the boot and done Neill Blomkamp's Aliens sequel. Whatever the final product would have been like, there was way more buzz about that. It looks like Ridley Scott has all but shut that down, though. It's pretty much a catch-22 at this point for Blomkamp, as if Covenant is successful, they'll keep going with Scott, but if it's not they'll likely choose not to make more movies in the franchise for a while.

User is offline   ---- 

Take something or someone evil and mysterious ... then explain it's story and origins ... and you have taken away a lot of what made it so terrifying (And that doesn't only go for Aliens, Vader and the Emperor).

• The Sarien Encounter

I find it all really cool. *shrug*

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

• The Sarien Encounter

Love the music!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Eh, the trailer doesn't grab me like say, the Dark Tower one did. I'll reserve my judgement for reviews and word of mouth.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options