Duke4.net Forums: High-res Voxels? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High-res Voxels?

User is offline   MC84 

I haven't been able to find any specific info relating to this subject, so hoping someone will have some pointers for me. Basically I'd like to know how 'high res' voxel models are made. Initially I assumed that voxels were really only effective for small items and pickups, but after playing the 'ghost ship' level of the AMC TC I was really impressed with the big gun voxel models. I've been able to create nice simple voxel models, such as a dumpster; but any curved surface objects (ie pipes) are just too low-res... (see pic below)

I've tried scaling up my pipe model in blender, or scaling it X10 on export. This doesn't seem to change anything. Now I'd be willing to accept that voxels are just low-res, but after seeing those aforementioned voxel models in the AMC TC I want to know if I'm doing something wrong. My basic process is as follows; Creating models in blender, with a diffuse texture map, exporting as .OBJ, then running this through POLY2VOX, then opening up and saving as a .KVX from SLAB6.

Thanks in advance

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dumpster.png

User is offline   Kyanos 

poly2vox uses command line parameters to set the size of the voxels. I think .vox may be lower res so go straight to .kvx. I also convert from md3s but obj should be fine.

poly2vox model.md3 voxel.kvx /s# /f# /ppalette.dat

Where /s# = scale and /f# = frame of model to use.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostDrek, on 15 December 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

poly2vox uses command line parameters to set the size of the voxels. I think .vox may be lower res so go straight to .kvx. I also convert from md3s but obj should be fine.

poly2vox model.md3 voxel.kvx /s# /f# /ppalette.dat

Where /s# = scale and /f# = frame of model to use.

Awesome! That works great, thanks very much!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options