Duke4.net Forums: help fixing an md3 with a OOB polygon - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

help fixing an md3 with a OOB polygon  "for an IW patch"

User is offline   Jblade 

Would anybody be willing to help me with this md3 model? There's an out of bounds polygon that's preventing it from loading in Eduke and the only program I know how to use crashes on loading the file. I can view it in NPherno's model viewer and see the polygon but I don't know of any way to get rid of it. Here's a link to the file:

https://www.mediafir...euag4f6y4atz54x

I'd greatly appreciate any help (It's for a patch for IW basically)

User is offline   Mark 

I'll give it try. Be back shortly.

EDIT: I was able to load it in my program ( Misfit ) but because that unattached vertice is now part of the frame animation for the model it won't just let me delete it. I tried to copy/paste the model to make a new one without the vertice but the animations didn't get copied over. Then I attempted to weld or merge that vertice to another but no luck.

Maybe someone with a different program might have better luck. Or it might be because its an md3 and there are limits to what can be modified after animations are applied. If you still have the original model before it was converted to md3, if there was one, it would be easier to remove the vertice.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Newer versions of Blender won't import it, I get a generic "script error". Older version, 2.49b also gave me a script error but did at least import the arms/hands, no gun.

This post has been edited by Drek: 12 December 2016 - 05:27 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'll have a look when I get home

Newer versions of Blender don't seem to like vertex animation.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 12 December 2016 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Alright, thanks for looking anyway guys I appreciate it - guess I'll either have to track down the original model or just change the weapon entirely (thinking more of the latter)

User is offline   Mark 

It was a last resort but it may have worked. I imported the md3 gun into Noesis and exported back out as md3. The vertice was gone. See if this works. The frame name for defs should still be AnimFrames. The new model name is the same so backup your original.

Attached File(s)

• Polymancer

If that dosen't work, let me know.

User is offline   Jblade 

That works, thanks a lot! Only issue now is the surface texturing has gone, but I imagine I can fix this by combining the fixed gun with the arms on the old model :lol: Thanks again for this.

User is offline   Mark 

before you do that let me try something first

EDIT: Nope, it didn't work. I see Noesis combined arms and gun groups into one group.

TeaMonster said he had a solution if mine didn't work. TM, you're up next

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

• Polymancer

Yeah, let me know if you have no joy with that.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Do any of the programs that complain about the polygon say what ID it has? I could try hex editing the MD3 to fix it with minimal other changes.

User is offline   Mark 

I mentioned that to TM but we had no way of knowing where to surgically strike.

• Polymancer

I once manually edited an ASCII MD5 file in notepad, which was fun, but I wouldn't want to make a career out of it.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 12 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Well, I appreciate the help you guys have given me regardless - hopefully there is a way to save the surface details but it's not a massive loss regardless. The model works now and it's for a minor part of the mod so it's not a grievous oversight if the skin for it is all black and grey.

Hendricks, I did actually think about possibly manually editing the polygon out but like you've suspected there's no way for me to get the info about the OOB polygon. The model crashed milkshape (laugh it up guys :lol:) and Npherno doesn't really offer any detailed information.

• Polymancer

There's a lot going on at the moment here, so I've not had a chance to Npherno the normals or check the frame name, but it opens in Misfit and the gun has textures on.

The frame name will most likely be different and I had to split the gun and the magazine into separate parts, so there will be an extra hull.

Again, sorry for not giving more info, but it's late and I've got to get to bed.

Attached File  tommgtm.7z (1.53MB)
Number of downloads: 74

User is offline   Jblade 

That works perfectly, awesome :lol: Thanks Tea Monster (and .Mark as well as eveyrbody else who took a stab at it) you guys have been really helpful here, I appreciate you helping me out with this.

• Polymancer

Glad to help! :lol:

User is offline   Mark 

I taught TM everything he knows. :lol:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark., on 13 December 2016 - 03:54 AM, said:

I taught TM everything he knows. :D

Just like you taught me everything I know about modelling Posted Image

Spoiler

I'm really excited about the coming IW update :lol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options