Duke4.net Forums: User map Assets - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

User map Assets  "Sprite Props Map"

User is offline   Paul B 

Everyone knows creating a user map is very time consuming. So i've taken the liberty of throwing a bunch of sprite objects I've created and used previously in maps to include them in a single map to be used as a resource. Ideally, it would be nice if we could structure the map into segments instead of throwing them all into the same sector and dropping the frame rate. In any case my intentions are to assist people in creating maps faster with prefab sprite objects that they can just copy and paste into their own user maps without having to re-invent the wheel. It would be nice if we could use this map as a template and expand on it as a community effort.

If you have any contributions you'd like to include without needing to be praised for your work please take the map update it and PM me your dropbox e-mail so I can share the folder with you. Let's see if we can hit the map sprite limit and provide people with a variety of creative sprite objects to choose from.

https://www.dropbox....uc3MRNHOaa?dl=0

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

User is online   Mark 

I have a feeling there are going to be more stairs in future maps. Good idea. Good work. I can see this map getting filled easily.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Such assets kill creativity, because all maps will have the same sprite design. I like the unique sprite choice for spritework.

User is online   Mark 

The way I see it is mappers are already using the same textures and sprites for certain things like light fixtures, computers, chairs etc...

These pre-made sprite constructs are versatile because you can use them as-is, change the sprite tiles used for more variety, or use just parts of them. But I see your point. It can be limiting but only a little.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMark., on 11 December 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

The way I see it is mappers are already using the same textures and sprites for certain things like light fixtures, computers, chairs etc...

These pre-made sprite constructs are versatile because you can use them as-is, change the sprite tiles used for more variety, or use just parts of them. But I see your point. It can be limiting but only a little.

This map is obviously useful, especially for beginners. Posted Image

User is offline   CruX 

lol i was hoping that bench that gambini spazzed over would be in here

User is online   Mark 

That was one of the first things I thought of too. :lol:

User is offline   David B. 

Btw I think there is my lamppost in there... That remind me the times I was doing everything with sprites... even trains or trailers.
I'm working with models now but those spritework's creations were exhilarating.

This post has been edited by David B.: 12 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDavid B., on 12 December 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

Btw I think there is my lamppost in there... That remind me the times I was doing everything with sprites... even trains or trailers.
I'm working with models now but those spritework's creations were exhilarating.

Your right David, I just double checked and that was your light stand in my map. I had made a similar one for my use but somehow I ended up copying the wrong one and putting it in the map. I've removed yours and added mine. While it is not as nice, it hopefully will inspire people to come up with their own unique spin on it.

It would be nice if more people could contribute some stuff, I included some sprite objects used from Cage as well. Like that Halogen lamp and shelving unit. I really hope we can expand on this map concept but I haven't heard from anyone who is willing to share their 3d sprite objects. It would be nice to have this library of objects to choose from and I'd like to grow this project so that there are so many sprite objects we need to break them down into their own .map categories so each category could be its own map. Kind of like the IKEA store of Mapster furniture. Anyway, as I slap stuff together i'll keep updating the map file. I hope there are other contributions there's so much creativity on these forums it would be a shame not to share it for everyone.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 12 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostPaul B, on 12 December 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

It would be nice if more people could contribute some stuff, I included some sprite objects used from Cage as well. Like that Halogen lamp and shelving unit. I really hope we can expand on this map concept but I haven't heard from anyone who is willing to share their 3d sprite objects. It would be nice to have this library of objects to choose from and I'd like to grow this project so that there are so many sprite objects we need to break them down into their own .map categories so each category could be its own map. Kind of like the IKEA store of Mapster furniture. Anyway, as I slap stuff together i'll keep updating the map file. I hope there are other contributions there's so much creativity on these forums it would be a shame not to share it for everyone.

I hope I´ll get some time between christmas and new year to contribute.
TBH: I had the same idea some time ago and started on a map with assets made of sectors and sprites. I hope I can find this map somewhere.

Anyways, nice work you did, Paul.

User is online   Mark 

Most of the time I "cheat" by making models instead of using sprites. But if I find any sprite constructs from my maps I will offer them up.

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postblizzart, on 13 December 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

I hope I´ll get some time between christmas and new year to contribute.

View PostMark., on 13 December 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

But if I find any sprite constructs from my maps I will offer them up.

Thanks guys!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options