Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D for VR headset and controllers - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D for VR headset and controllers  "When is duke officially coming to VR?"

User is offline   congo1986 

Ive been a Duke fan ever since the game released back in 1996. I used to make level after level for it, which probably weren't all that good, but I had a blast learning how to make fun level designs of how to make elevators and water work. My friend and I would have competitions to see who could make the best level, and at the end of the week we would swap maps and test them out. Even to this day, I have tinkered with Build here and there. I picked the game up on steam about 4 or 5 months ago; even though it was unlisted at the time, I found a way to get it.

Fast forward from back when I was a kid playing, over a 56k modem with my buddy, to now.... I have a fast rig on a fast internet connection. I have a VR setup, with some really progressive games. Just recently, I have been enjoying Doom 3, which has been modded to fully accommodate a VR headset with tracked controllers. Its amazing! For those of you that want to see, here is a LINK. Its pretty incredible that an older game like this can work so well modded up to work in VR.

Ever since I learned of virtual reality, and especially since I got the HTC Vive headset, I have been searching for a way to play duke3d with it. Im selfish though, and I dont want just a mouse and keyboard version... I want a version where you can hold the guys, and play the game similar to Doom 3 VR mod.

So I have a question... how likely is this to ever be implemented? Is there enough of the game open to mod to make this possible? I know of the 3d model mod, that actually gives you 3d models for weapons and enemies and other sprites. Can this game be made to work with VR? I already know of THIS mod, which shows a working VR version for the Oculus Rift. This is great, but it was developed for only the Oculus, and it also doesnt use tracked controllers. If we can have Doom 3 in VR with tracked controllers, surely we can have Duke Nukem 3D! Is it only a matter of time? Or is it an impossibility? This would surely bring Duke3d up into this new era of gaming!

I currently have Duke3D working for the Vive headset. Movement is wonky which is the reason I haven't released it yet. The maps are also not built to scale, so when trying to have the game 1:1 roomscale with the game, the player is also 2x the size of the sprites. The sprites look fucking awesome in VR though.

Wow, that is so great to hear. Are you planning on having the Vives controllers supported? Man, would be so cool to be able to hold and aim the guns. This would be my dream come true for VR. Endless user made levels to play too. I know I would definitely focus on making more. Can you spare any details of how the project is working out? I would love to hear any details if you have the time to tell them.

View Postcongo1986, on 07 December 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Wow, that is so great to hear. Are you planning on having the Vives controllers supported? Man, would be so cool to be able to hold and aim the guns. This would be my dream come true for VR. Endless user made levels to play too. I know I would definitely focus on making more. Can you spare any details of how the project is working out? I would love to hear any details if you have the time to tell them.

Yes the vive controllers are working, but as I said movement is wonky. I posted about it a few months ago, if you search the forums you'll find it.

View Posticecoldduke, on 07 December 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Yes the vive controllers are working, but as I said movement is wonky. I posted about it a few months ago, if you search the forums you'll find it.

wow man, thats so cool! I found your post.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options