Duke4.net Forums: The Good, The Bad and the Hyped 2016 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Good, The Bad and the Hyped 2016

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Well it's that time again people, time to list the games of 2016 that you loved, the ones you hated and the ones you're looking forward to most in 2017!

I'll go first!

The Good:

Posted Image
I did not expect this at all.
When I bought this game cheap I expected it to be some crappy rushed game that sold itself on gratuitous T&A, usually those kind of games are only good for playing 10 minutes, wacking one off and then going to another good game, but Age of Barbarian ended up being really enjoyable for me, it's a buggy mess and is far from great, but there was just something about it that made me wanna keep on playing and no it actually wasn't all the T&A, though it did help.
As a big fan of Arnold's Conan the Barbarian, I really liked this game's art style and the digitized sprites were nicely done.
I really do recommend checking this out as the 1 single guy who made it clearly had a lot of passion.

Posted Image

Yup the legendary RPG has finally ended and it went out on one hell of a high note.
Like the base game, I enjoyed every minute of this expansion and I wanna see more of the Witcher franchise after Cyberpunk.

Posted Image

Loads of swords, guns, blood, oneliners and craziness.

I give it a 9 on the Wangometer.

#1 Game of the Year
Posted Image

Rip and fucking Tear!!!
Doom 4 finally delivered what I have always wanted to the FPS genre since the 90s, fast paced gunplay, complex level design, key card hunting, heavy metal themes and a full masculine power fantasy ride to hell and back!
Complete with a pretty damn good level creator Doom 4 has finally brought back the glory days and I don't see another FPS challenging it's greatness any time soon!

The Bad:
Posted Image

God dammit Interceptor!!
Bombshell was a character I really wanted to see, but you fucked it up by making her character generic and muddled while having the game be just dull and unenjoyable.

Here's hoping the Prequel done in the Build Engine makes up for this.

The HYPED!!!!
Posted Image

Seriously, fuck 2017!

Well that's me!
What were your best and worst games of 2016 and what are looking forward to most next year?​

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 01 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Best: Doom
Good: Overwatch, Mafia 3, Hitman, Broforce, PSVR
Bad: Overwatch (I both liked and disliked this game), Space Hulk: Deathwing Beta (fun to play when it works, unfortunately doesn't work that much)
Not yet played enough (but excited to play): Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Deus Ex Man-I can't remember the name, Dishonored 2
Hyped: Crackdown, For Honor, Prey Reboot, Bombshell Prequel, Me releasing my game

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 01 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Doom wins all in my opinion.

Only games I'm looking forward to in 2017 is Zelda and Bombshell Prequel.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Doom, for the mother fucking win. So much fun. It's got a very similar "ballet of death" like the original. I was happy with the way they handled the character, the story was kept to a minimum, but still very effective, and the levels mostly lent to good exploration. I'm not big on arena's and waves though. They need to get back to the maze and the monsters design philosophy. For once. Duke Nukem should follow in Doom's footsteps.

I don't really have anything else to comment on. I didn't play a lot of new games this year. The only reason I got to play Doom was because I had to get a new PC, and I managed to score Doom when it was 50% off.

Gotta echo that sentiment, Doom by far for me. Really delivered the goods.

Runners up: Overwatch (love it, have played hundreds of matches), Street Fighter V (underrated for me), and I'm actually digging Final Fantasy XV so far (pretty fun combat and world wandering).

World Tour's Alien World Order ep deserves a mention too, even just being an expansion, love it.

• The Sarien Encounter

My earlier post was regarding the show, but as far as games as a whole, I'm really enjoying (besides Doom) The Witness, Obduction, Downwell, the new King's Quest was not half bad either.

The game that should get second prize for best music should be Street Fighter V. What a killer opening theme!

User is offline   ---- 

The Good: Doom
The Mediocre: Shadow Warrior 2, Duke Nukem WT, Titanfall 2
The Bad: Didn't buy any bad games, fortunately

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

The Good:

My pick for the first is definitely GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR-, this is probably the only game I enjoyed the most which came this year aside from some re-released ports.

Posted Image

Not only it has beautiful visuals (even game web-site looks great and this game was done by indie developer) with great soundtrack (not many games have heavy music as soundtrack these days) which Street Fighter V tried to copy (some of the songs in SFV are trash though, like Juri's theme), it also has the most important part in fighting games: solid and deep mechanics which is why it's actually underrated compared to SFV and MKX (both are AAA fighting games for casual players). I spent many days in arcades playing it and can't wait for PC version to come as well. Here's game opening:
Spoiler

And Sol gameplay who is basically Ryu of Guilty Gear:
Spoiler

The game also can justify it's price because it has a lot of content such as arcade mode, story mode, greatest tutorial in fighting game ever, M.O.M. and many many other stuff. Now if only Arc System Works brought GGPO/rollback netcode in it or better in Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R which is better game gameplay-wise. But at least they want to change their business model according to developer and want to bring crossplay between Sony consoles and PC. Also, shame PC physical version won't have some of the Let's Rock edition stuff, this vinyl is badass:
Spoiler

Another thing I liked was Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun which comes in 4 days but has playable demo.

Posted Image

Consider getting it on release, but now sure because I plan to buy Revelator for me and a friend. The game is basically Commandos+Tenchu combination. It has some small downsides, but they likely going to fix it.

And the third is Neon Chrome, the game which has pretty big replayability.

Posted Image

A very good example how to do top-down shooters right, plus it has nice OST and visuals (I really like cyberpunk).

I would mention more games which I think looks good and most of them are indie games (and I haven't played some of them yet) or just PC ports which were released earlier on consoles such as Dragon's Dogma, so not sure if worth it. I'd also pick KoFXIV as the second, but SNK decided it was a wise idea to put this game on PS4 only just for Sony marketing (not only SFV was funded by Sony, Capcom released it for PC day one). Amusing how arcade version was announced in one month, guess it wasn't wise at all to put the game for PS4 only so Sony could handle marketing.

The Bad:

Many shitty games were released this year and I didn't even care about them at all, but there is probably no better game to suit this role. I'm talking about Street Fighter V, promising from the start and going downhill even to this day.

Posted Image

It was such a wasted potential, not only it has unstable online (and they fucked up the best possible netcode which is rollback-based), it's full of microtransactions and some DLCs can't be even bought with in-game currency, it has zero content aside from terrible story mode, crap survival mode and terrible online, the main selling point. Add to that that the game is $60 with Season Pass which cost $30 and also doesn't include all DLCs released and censorship (I mean libtards play games too, especially fighting games, right?). The final nail in the coffin was rootkit update. Yeah, actual rootkit.

And the best part is that they do all these practices while they don't want to bother fixing the damn game. Aside from netcode and having even more casual mechanic compared to IV, this shit still has 8 input delay in offline mode(sic!!!!) and there is no way to fix it on PS4, on PC you need to fiddle with settings. Compare that to the norm which 3f input.

I wanted to get it once with biggest discount possible, but after rootkit I won't bother even if they pay me (I'd rather buy 4 WT copies than this or 2 copies of Bulletshtorm re-release). The game is still in early access state and is not worth it at all (people expected more actual content to come and fixes in few months after release which is amusing), I wonder even how much they paid for getting game award. Too bad it won't help them to sell this piece of shit, they haven't managed to sell even 100k after summer and now desperately want to bring it to arcades.

Can't believe I was excited about it and thought that Capcom finally would make good Street Fighter game because IV was also crappy, Third Strike was probably the best.

The Hyped:

Every AAA game. Though Street Fighter can win this too, SFV drones still can't stop praise and defend Capcom with their piece of shit a game. However, there is also Final Fantasy XV, maybe this one is the best candidate in this case (this shit is everywhere, no wonder they need to sell 10 millions to get their investment back).

Bonus:

The Mediocre:
In this regard I'm totally with fuegerstef, don't think I can add anything actually, nothing is on my mind. Maybe Overwatch (which was also overhyped, saw it everywhere too). TF2 is better even though I kind of like game's style.

Looking forward to:

Of course these games are Bombshell Prequel, Sonic Mania (maybe Sonic 2017 too) and Tekken 7 if they won't fuck it up, right now I don't like current roster because there is no my main yet (that's actually how it started with SFV for me as well). Oh, and some PC ports of course.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 December 2016 - 04:00 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

You didn't mention Doom anywhere in your post so you are automatically wrong about everything. :mellow:

You see, I played the game on friend's PS4 for a while (tried mp) and tried the demo on Steam (didn't like it, but people say that it's bad only at the beginning) and it lagged horribly on my PC because I have old as shit 1GB VRAM GPU, although I didn't test the game yet with new RAM and CPU (previously I had 4GB of RAM and shitty Celeron CPU).

So I don't know if I should even bother. But right now in my opinion it deserve to be the best FPS of this year (not that there were anything really worthwhile this year anyway). Duke's new episode or SW2 could be better and I was more interested in the later, but both are mediocre. Though the first Doom is better (not just because it's classic, it has better level design and gameplay).

Oh, and another problem for me is Denuvo which have to recognize CPU to allow you to play the game and I actually want to play my games even after many years. For example, if game developer won't patch Denuvo in his game, it won't be able to recognize new CPU and one day I'll have to upgrade from my i5-4460. And another downside is no modding, it's actually a very big deal in case of Doom 4. CPU issue can be solved by getting the game somewhere else, but I don't really want to do that.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

None of that matters. The entire game is awesome. I don't care what anyone's told you. I've never had so much fun in a shooter since the old days. Easily the greatest shooter in a decade. I will even go as far as to say it's worth any DRM it may have inside it. I had far more fun in this game than Shadow Warrior (which I still have to bring myself to play again).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Pretty sure guys there were saying that the game feels quite mediocre at the beginning of the game too. Always forget that it's 2016 (almost 2017 even), guess you have a point about greatest shooter in a decade, I don't remember any really worthwhile shooter since 2006 so guess Doom 4 beats every game in this case. Sucks they didn't make for PC in mind though (the game need more enemies on screen and better level design).

But what you going to do if you change your CPU and it won't recognize it? Unless you don't plan to play the game anymore or going to pirate it.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Alright: Duke Nukem World Tour ( Despite it does have flaws like poor boss coding and of course the final boss, but for the most part I did had fun playing the new levels)

Best: DOOM (You should know why by now :mellow: )

Bad: Haven't played too much games this year so Idk.

Hyped: Bombshell prequel.

DELETE THIS.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Heh, bit off topic, but YouTube copyright flagged the stream archived footage of The Game Awards show last night from their own channel. The entire audio is muted.

I hate YouTube.

• The Sarien Encounter

@Sledgehammer I don't think you understand. Doom is not the greatest shooter in a decade just because there haven't been any great games lately. It's the greatest shooter because it truly is. And the game does not start out mediocre. Not by a longshot. You start immediately with a gun in your hand and a big FU to an attempted exposition cutscene which cuts it short and puts you right back in the action. I do not care that there are not a zillion enemies on screen at one time. Once you defeat one more come so the onslaught is real. I thought I would dislike the arena/wave monster archetype, but really I absolutely love it in Doom. When I see an arena-sized area I can't WAIT to get started. Ripping and tearing demons is just SO MUCH FUN. Glory kills and all. It is glorious. Not all demon confrontations are in arenas, though. They appear in smaller amounts in smaller areas as well, and the levels are quite complex (and vertical sometimes!). It's everything I could want. It's even got secrets! Most are easy to find (especially if you upgrade your automap tool in your suit), but some of them took me ages to find. And after you beat the campaign there's still more to do! I love it. There's not a bad point in the game. I can't think of one off-hand. I truly don't believe it was made for consoles. It's optimized wonderfully and has a fantastic selection of PC-exclusive video options.

Well done, id. You done GOOD.

I also don't believe that once you upgrade your system there won't be some way to play your game again.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually, there is one thing I don't like. The crouch key is a toggle and can't be changed to a hold action.

User is offline   MetHy 

Best of 2016 has been World Tour. A new decent DN3D episode.

Doom deserves a mention, but in several years, I doubt I'll be coming back to it but I'll still come back to Alien World Order.

SW2 was good but I know I'll never replay it.

Hyped for Bombshell prequel obviously.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 December 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

I also don't believe that once you upgrade your system there won't be some way to play your game again.

Not the whole system but CPU (and maybe motherboard, but not sure about that). The only way for now is to crack the game or ask developer to update Denuvo on it.

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe those safeguards are in place but who's to say they wouldn't help you out when you upgrade?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSledgehammer, on 02 December 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Not the whole system but CPU (and maybe motherboard, but not sure about that). The only way for now is to crack the game or ask developer to update Denuvo on it.

Just so you know, it's been reported that the latest 11.9GB free update for Doom that released yesterday removed Denuvo. I have no way to test for it so I can't confirm, but that's good news for you I suppose.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

Really? It's surprising considering ZeniMax is another typical and greedy AAA publisher. That's a good news for you as well, now you shouldn't worry about the game being unplayable when you upgrade your CPU. Also, hopefully people bring mods for the game, modders now can make it just like the first Doom. Unless people don't care about the game anymore and have no interest to make mods.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 08 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 December 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Also, hopefully people bring mods for the game, modders now can make it just like the first Doom. Unless people don't care about the game anymore and have no interest to make mods.

Just look at that poor DooM 3 modding. :lol:

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 December 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Really? It's surprising considering ZeniMax is another typical and greedy AAA publisher. That's a good news for you as well, now you shouldn't worry about the game being unplayable when you upgrade your CPU.

I wasn't worried.

Also, hopefully people bring mods for the game, modders now can make it just like the first Doom. Unless people don't care about the game anymore and have no interest to make mods.

Hah. "Don't care anymore." Good one.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 08 December 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

Just look at that poor DooM 3 modding. :lol:

That was my first thought when I wrote that (that and that it might be too late since they removed Denuvo just now), but then again, Doom 4 is better and it seems like people play it to this day. I wrote that post before I looked at Steam community hub.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 December 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Hah. "Don't care anymore." Good one.

Thanks. But if seriously, that's what happen to almost every modern AAA game nowadays. For example, people dropped FO4 quite fast and modding a big thing about Bethesda games.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 13 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

Fallout 4, just not better than TES5 so I won't too surprised, I were disappointed even I still like it.

Spoiler

Yes, DooM 4 is better in most ways. :lol: But the Snapmap still a limited mess if you ask me...

My only hope about DooM 4 is they can make a new manual save system and then I can play it again. Too bad I can't even complete it once...lose my shit for all checkpoint-save games now. :D

The good: DOOOOOOM, am2r, rhythm heaven megamix, dark souls 3

The bad: havent played anything bad, but star fox zero was a bit dissapointing because of its length

The hyped: Death Stranding, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus (neither coming out next year but shh), bombshell prequel, zelda breath of the wild, destiny 2

The "ready to see them crash and burn": mass effect andromeda, halo wars 2 (343s work on halo so far has been horrible)

This post has been edited by Captain Kupo: 09 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPlayer Lin, on 09 December 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

Yes, DooM 4 is better in most ways. :lol: But the Snapmap still a limited mess if you ask me...

You used Snapmap recently? It's far more versatile now. Plus there were even more additions in the new update. It's obviously still not an SDK or anything, but you have so much more freedom now. You can even create unique shapes with geometry.

My only hope about DooM 4 is they can make a new manual save system and then I can play it again. Too bad I can't even complete it once...lose my shit for all checkpoint-save games now. :D

This really doesn't bother me at all. And this is the first time I've felt that way about checkpoints. It really doesn't get in my way. I don't even notice it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 December 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

You used Snapmap recently? It's far more versatile now. Plus there were even more additions in the new update. It's obviously still not an SDK or anything, but you have so much more freedom now. You can even create unique shapes with geometry.

Not the latest version for sure, since I just lazy to reinstall it again if I still cannot fix my "Tired with checkpoint system bullshit for games" problem...but again, compare the old games, you have used what resources the Snapmap has(yeah, that's still good if id guys can keep adding more and more), so it still limited IMO.

Well, I also just not really get about how to using Snapmap, just mess around in it... and then I noticed the most values for score-related things were not capped at all and caused that famous(?) farming Snapmap credits "bug"...I hope they fixed it even I guessed there is really no point for farming the Snapmap credits. :lol:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 December 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

This really doesn't bother me at all. And this is the first time I've felt that way about checkpoints. It really doesn't get in my way. I don't even notice it.

Yeah, glad you don't have any problems with it, that's most likely my own problems. Since my frustration builds so fast/largely with recently games(RotT 2013, Bombshell, DooM 4) I played and finally broken my limit of sufferance with it, even my perfectionism for collect shit in games also enhanced that made me unlikely can fix that. :devil:

Manual saving(savegames) system FTW. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I understand it's your issue, but...please don't compare the quite unoptimized works of Interceptor (relative newbies to the AAA industry) to the fine and very well optimized and refined work id has done with Doom 4. :lol:

Also, just curious, what do you think of the original Dark Forces?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options