Duke4.net Forums: How much did Duke 3D: World Tour sell? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How much did Duke 3D: World Tour sell?

Hopefully it was enough to show that Duke needs more of a return to FPS gaming.

User is offline   Lunick 

Poorly on PC, maybe only around 10k copies

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I can't imagine why. It's not like the game has been released time and time again.

Hell, I own three copies of it.

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

Twas too pricey for the relative niche of it.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

The better question is how much they spent on this. Sale numbers aren't really important, they could spend shitton of money and then would need 10 million units to sell to get their investment back, for example.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd wager the most expensive part of development was the port and renderer itself. That'd take the most time, especially considering the coders wouldn't be remotely familiar with the code base.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

They lost money for sure. There's no way they spent less than $500,000 on it, and they probably spent a lot more. If they sold 10,000 units at $20 each, that only makes up for $200,000 of the cost.

http://vgsales.wikia...ideo_game_costs

A 2008 system comparison analysis by Ubisoft

Leading on from this, an Ubisoft executive gave a breakdown of the company's average development costs per game - with a DS title costing between 500,000 to 1,000,000 euros ($785,000-$1.57m), PS3/Xbox 360/PC titles averaging 12 million to 18 million euros ($18.8m-$28.2m) to create for all 3 SKUs, and a Wii game expected to cost 5 million to 6 million euros ($7.8-$9m) to develop.[4]

I would assume that the cost of making WT was closer to developing a game for the DS. Even so, big companies just don't make games for cheap.

User is offline   Matthew 

They should have put more in to it. Instead of rerereleasing Duke3D for the 80th time they should have made an entirely new game. The $20 price tag would have been well worth the price for 3 new episodes and then an expansion for like $7.99.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Their biggest mistake was doing a port from scratch while emulating the Polymer renderer which would have taken an incredible amount of time and cost quite a lot all while being completely ignorant of the fact that Duke3D has been given out for free, re-released a dozen times before, and any potential sales would be die hard fans wanting to play the new maps or console gamers.

They could have done just about anything else and it'd be more profitable. Outsource a remake of Duke3D on the scale of Reloaded, a kind of reimagining expanded game that carries the same themes, basic environments, and style. Port the games that haven't been touched since their original releases like Time To Kill and Zero Hour. Do a small Manhattan Project style side-scroller in UE4, hell after Rad Rodgers get Interceptor to do it. Of course all of these ideas wouldn't occur to Gearbox because that'd require at least a fragment of brain power.

On the other hand this sort of promotion could well be leading up to a new Duke game all together. It isn't exactly uncommon nowadays for developers to have little tie-ins, re-releases and other small scale titles done prior to an announcement of a AAA style game but if what they've done so far is a reflection of where they're going I'd rather not have it at all.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMatthew, on 03 December 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

They should have put more in to it. Instead of rerereleasing Duke3D for the 80th time they should have made an entirely new game. The $20 price tag would have been well worth the price for 3 new episodes and then an expansion for like $7.99.

I don't think lack of content was the problem. Don't forget that there are thousands of free maps on the internet, a fair number of which are at least as good as the maps in WT. Besides, if they built it up more to be a full-sized game, then it would have been reviewed as a full-sized game, which would perhaps put it in a more negative light than a simple bonus episode.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Quality of content is a problem. All guard and some random dev team is a bad decision. As for me Lee still makes good stuff, Allen did only great work with Egypt level. Other stuff does not fit the level of original Duke Nukem 3D. Levelord made my favourite map of all times, but his work in WT feels rushed.

User is offline   axl 

View Postbrullov, on 04 December 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Quality of content is a problem. All guard and some random dev team is a bad decision. As for me Lee still makes good stuff, Allen did only great work with Egypt level. Other stuff does not fit the level of original Duke Nukem 3D. Levelord made my favourite map of all times, but his work in WT feels rushed.

Hmmmm... I feel that some of levelord's older work feels more rushed than his new maps... Movie Set and Rabid Transit in particular comes to mind.

Anyway, I agree that they shouldn't have put the effort into the new renderer as we already have eduke32... Instead they should have given us more maps... at least 3 more so the episode would have the same size as all the other official Duke episodes (minus LA Meltdown off course).

This post has been edited by axl: 04 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View Postbrullov, on 04 December 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Disagree. The more I play the maps, the more I realise how wonderfully crafted they are. Levelord always had been the second banana, but his maps here are much more detailed, better thought out, than let's see... his E3 maps. Also Allen did a great work with Golden Carnage as well, it's just every bit as good as his best original levels, sometimes I felt it was made in 1998, when he first envisaged a level for the upcoming DNF, and created it for DN3D first.

There were a few nitpicks of course, like the badly placed machine ambience sounds in Red Ruckus, the one-way teleport in Bloody Hell, the problematic path of Reconcars in Golden Carnage, and the lack of backtrack openings in Tour de Nukem, despite 2 obvious places were there, but they are jus nitpicks, not game breakers at all.

This thing should have been released for an advanced EDuke32 with the improved Polymer, and the addition weapon/monsters, of course without the ugly mishaps of the coding. Randy would be hailed by the fans if he did this in the right way, although on the long term, this thing will be remembered positively, and probably the new maps might inspire new user levels or episodes as well.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 04 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

User is offline   Hank 

here is some additional data
Sales for Play Station up to 5. Nov. 2016
http://www.vgchartz....ld-tour/Global/
Sales for XBox 1 up to 5.Nov. 2016
and current sales from Steam
http://steamspy.com/app/434050

Total 42000 units.

User is offline   Kawa 

I just played WT through EDuke32, and I found the levels to be... pretty good, actually. Could go with fewer lame jokes about coffee and all that but y'know how it is. And wow did JSJ do a sad job with the voices. Every time I opened the menu it sounded more like a comedically forceful kiss than the grunt it replaced.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I know we likely will just get estimates (if anything), but I would be interested to see how much money was put into World Tour and how much it made vs. how much was put into the Bombshell prequel and how much it ends up making.
I hope the latter makes enough to warrant another one; maybe not necessarily Bombshell related, but something brand new.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 04 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostHulkNukem, on 04 December 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

I know we likely will just get estimates (if anything), but I would be interested to see how much money was put into World Tour and how much it made vs. how much was put into the Bombshell prequel and how much it ends up making.
I hope the latter makes enough to warrant another one; maybe not necessarily Bombshell related, but something brand new.

As for WT:

zero in, zero out

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostHank, on 04 December 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

here is some additional data
Sales for Play Station up to 5. Nov. 2016
Sales for XBox 1 up to 5.Nov. 2016
and current sales from Steam
http://steamspy.com/app/434050

Total 42000 units.
The accuracy of VGChartz can be described as questionable at best and outright made-up at worst, and SteamSpy's method of acquiring numbers (extrapolating from a small, random set of Steam accounts, ala political polling) is only really accurate enough for console-wars style arguments on the internet. It's not really possible to get 100% accurate sales numbers without signing an NDA, sadly.

That said, I think it's a reasonably safe assumption to make to say that Devolver Digital did a lot better out of Megaton Edition than Gearbox did here.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostThe Kins, on 06 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

The accuracy of VGChartz can be described as questionable at best and outright made-up at worst, and SteamSpy's method of acquiring numbers (extrapolating from a small, random set of Steam accounts, ala political polling) is only really accurate enough for console-wars style arguments on the internet. It's not really possible to get 100% accurate sales numbers without signing an NDA, sadly.

That said, I think it's a reasonably safe assumption to make to say that Devolver Digital did a lot better out of Megaton Edition than Gearbox did here.

True. They say so in their methodology brief.
http://www.vgchartz....methodology.php
My post was simply to suggest another game gone down the sewer.

As for Devolver, humbly disagree. They did not try to make a new episode. Sure, Gearbox failed here, but even including my own sardonic comments about them, I do respect them for at least trying, and hopefully fixing up their blunders in due course.

This post has been edited by Hank: 06 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I think Gearbox is in this one for the long game. World Tour doesn't appear to have sold very well when compared to the versions that were around for years prior, but they literally eliminated the competition here. When the only other choice is to dig up the DOS CD-ROM, they will eventually hit whatever sales figures they need to hit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options