Duke4.net Forums: Difference in box art for PAL version of DNF? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difference in box art for PAL version of DNF?

Attached Image: IMG_0488.JPGI am currently trying to get a hold of all special editions of DNF. I recently got a copy of Duke's Kick Ass Edition from a guy in England. I was looking at the cover and noticed a little difference between the regular NTSC version. Duke doesn't have his cigar in his mouth on the PAL version. Does anyone know why? Is it like that for all other versions of the game or just PAL? Attached Image: IMG_0490.JPG

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's some law against glorifying tobacco use or something in Europe. I think the cover is better for it, honestly.

User is offline   Kawa 

I think it'd be better with the smirk though.

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe that, and just straighten his head upright.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's a terrible cover in general, and totally indicative of how much GBX/Triptych did not understand the character.

User is offline   Kawa 

I don't know what this cover has to do with DN1 specifically but apparently it's as much one as this glorious thing.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's Interceptor's reworked cover of the original Duke Nukem II cover for their DN2 rerelease. It's not for DN1.

Original:
Posted Image

Here's DN1's just for the sake of it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

User is offline   Kawa 

Then somebody at Mobygames messed up, or I'm just confused.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Kawa, on 15 November 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't know what this cover has to do with DN1

You'd have to ask whoever uploaded that "cover" to mobygames. As MusicallyInspired said, the image itself is a remake of the Duke 2 artwork. The remake was originally created for the iOS release of Duke Nukem II. No idea why the cover you linked to is titled "Duke Nukem" and not "Duke Nukem II", but I remember that Interceptor released multiple versions of the new artwork with and without the game title on it, so anyone could have created that cover.

The artwork is kind of similar to the DN1 title screen, so that might be what led to the creation of that cover image. Either that, or someone saw this video I did a few years ago and thought it was an official thing. :mellow:

User is offline   Kawa 

Tchehehehe, "one megabyte of graphics" indeed.

User is offline   Lunick 

Kawa, on 15 November 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't know what this cover has to do with DN1 specifically but apparently it's as much one as this glorious thing.

The artist did art for Duke Nukem 1 as well http://xermanico.dev...Cover-451094104

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Kawa, on 15 November 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Tchehehehe, "one megabyte of graphics" indeed.

Whoa...I guess it's time to upgrade, then. :mellow:

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

British censors are very strange beasts indeed. For decades, you could have partial nudity and as much blood and swearing as you liked, but god forbid you should even mention anything to do with martial arts. Oh dear, your actress got her boobs out on live TV? Naughty naughty! Ooops, you accidentally used the word 'ninja' in a sentence? Kiss your broadcasting licence goodbye!

I had no idea that a secret cabal of Yakuza were trying to overthrow the Queen!!!! Who would have thought?

User is offline   BrokenFree 

Well the censors did allow uncensored boobs in DNF in Europe, and the same thing in Godfather 2, and Heavy Rain, oh and the also allowed uncensored fatalities in MK vs DCU. So I don't think as strict as they used to be. Thankfully.

This post has been edited by BrokenFree: 06 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That artwork was a big fuck up from the beginning.

"Let's put the consumer at blowjob angle. Because showing contempt for your audience is funneh."

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is it just me, or does the face look absolutely nothing like Duke? Sure there's been a lot of different artwork since Duke 3D but they all share the same overall recognizable look. Here, he just looks like a generic blond guy. I guess that's a good analogy for the game itself; generic.

• The Sarien Encounter

No, you're right. No square jaw (it's more angular), nose is smaller, chin is pointier. He just looks like a twentysomething with short curly/spiked hair instead of a crew cut with shades.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke was always Dolph Lundgren looking.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options